Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

More inspiration stuff...  This appears to be an old tin toy of a B-45 Tornado. That paint scheme is really cool. 

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Couldn't stay away from it! 

I decided to just scratch build the entire cockpit, canopy, and all that, out of crap I have laying around. The little canopy piece there I cut out of some sort of packing material and the little plastic pieces there will be the part of the fuselage that connect from the rear of the canopy to the fuselage proper (I don't know what this little section is called, if anything).

Here I was just wanting to slap this together but the more I look at it the more I want to just turn this into some kind of hopped up big engined racer type plane or something..

I've also re-visited the one bladed prop idea and the props I have now are too large and I'm not sure I can "whittle" them down to the proper size. The stuff is too large to be in scale but too small to hold on to to do anything with... I need like ... a little vice or one of those helping hands clip contraptions. Even then, the pitch and "twist" will all be gone and will look no better than if I slapped a piece of flat trimmed plastic on there so I need to figure something else out.. 

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Problem solve.. I cut a couple of clear discs out of the same stuff I cut the canopy from.. I'll aim for a blurred prop look.

With those, I now have all the parts I need to make a complete airplane!!   :laugh: :laugh:

I'll have to make some spinners but that will be easy... I'll just find some spare sprue of the proper gauge and use a file to round the ends off. 

Next thoughts fall to the livery. Like I said, I'd like to do a racing airplane and I have a lot of "corporate sponsor" transfers from race cars and such but they might not be the right size. I suppose I can stop working on the prop discs for a little while and dig through the transfer stash to see what I have. If I can't find ones the right size I'm going to shift gears to just a plain ol' civil aircraft in some nice colors and such.

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Got any drop tanks spare?  You can make spinners from them.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on January 10, 2017, 01:06:42 AM
Got any drop tanks spare?  You can make spinners from them.

I do! What a great idea!  I didn't use the ones to my Vampire T.11.    I'll dig them out and see where I need to cut. They should work pretty well. 
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 09, 2017, 11:53:46 AM
More inspiration stuff...  This appears to be an old tin toy of a B-45 Tornado. That paint scheme is really cool. 

That's interesting. I see what you mean re the Tornado but the B 45 had straight wings, 4 engines and was not operated by the RCAF. Plus I've not seen one without wing tip tanks.

Therefore it appears to be a tinplate Wif  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Hey you're right!!  I just "discovered" the Tornado TWO days ago; I never knew it existed so I'm still trying to get familiar with it. To me, they look like overgrown F-84 Thunderjets. lol  (a lot of the same features and inovations on both, too, I learned in my short reading). 
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 10, 2017, 06:22:52 AM
Hey you're right!!  I just "discovered" the Tornado TWO days ago; I never knew it existed so I'm still trying to get familiar with it. To me, they look like overgrown F-84 Thunderjets. lol  (a lot of the same features and inovations on both, too, I learned in my short reading).

It's an interesting aircraft with an interesting history especially in its use by the RAF.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

And the only 1/72 kit of a B-45 is made by Mach 2...................  :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Indeed, and costs a lot!   :o

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for one in a lot or something, otherwise I won't be getting it any time soon.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Factor in the cost of buying a Falcon canopy set as well, as the Mach 2 'transparencies' aren't.............

Transparent, that is.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

That Tornado toy is too cool ! What does it say on the nose ?

Your own whif is looking good Chronic ! Look forward to seeing where this goes and the drop tank spinner is a great idea !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

Thanks, dude! This is the most.. uhhh..  "dramatic" scratchery I've ever done?? For sure... Won't be much like a JU 88 when I'm finished!  Deleted the (glass) nose, deleted the cockpit, moved the cockpit, building some extra fuselage, very different engine cowling, etc.

Airplane says "North American." 

A shame about the canopy... is it that Mach 2 does substandard stuff?  Seems like they have a lot of neat subject matter, but I don't know much else about the history of them or the quality of the product.
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 10, 2017, 06:16:55 AM
That's interesting. I see what you mean re the Tornado but the B 45 had straight wings, 4 engines and was not operated by the RCAF. Plus I've not seen one without wing tip tanks.

Therefore it appears to be a tinplate Wif  :thumbsup:

These don't have wing-tip tanks (USAF);

As far as I can tell tin-plate toys are always whifs.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Cheers Mr Wombat  :thumbsup:. I've obviously led a sheltered life  ;D