Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Looks pretty good so far in that pic.
Neat transitions between colours as different as red and white are always trickier than between close shades as any deviation is so blimmin obvious.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Thanks, guys!!!  :D

This is a high speed fly by update...

No flash this time.

Small but fair amount of work done yesterday.

Touched up the paint, glued on the tail planes and the little horizontal fin thingies..  exhaust pipes.  Also puttied and filed the nose gear door that I cut in half...  glued it in place. Should be fine after paint!

Merely layed the canopy on .... it doesn't fit worth two bovine excrements. Some filing and sanding will be necessary to achieve a snug fit.

I keep getting ahead of myself but I do think now that the anti glare "patch" should be painted next then it is indeed on to clear coat. I suppose I could glue on the two antennas but.... may wait.

EDIT:  Aye!!  Of course now I remember.. that I keep forgetting to finish the interior.; not only touch up all the paint but also transfers for the instrument panels go in there. 
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on April 15, 2017, 09:18:16 PM

EDIT:  Aye!!  Of course now I remember.. that I keep forgetting to finish the interior.; not only touch up all the paint but also transfers for the instrument panels go in there.

I build with a sheet of A4 paper on the cutting map so that I can label any similar parts P & S (port and starboard) during assembly/painting and then when I get to this stage I just list all those small things that need to be done and cross them off as I do them.

Can't claim it's my idea, blatant copy of someone else's. Helps me, especially when I start to get on to finals.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 16, 2017, 12:58:42 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on April 15, 2017, 09:18:16 PM

I build with a sheet of A4 paper on the cutting map so that I can label any similar parts P & S (port and starboard) during assembly/painting and then when I get to this stage I just list all those small things that need to be done and cross them off as I do them.

Can't claim it's my idea, blatant copy of someone else's. Helps me, especially when I start to get on to finals.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I'll remember that. For my own personal use I'll use "notepad" on the laptop here. I do the same thing for video games ("remember to return to such and such when your lockpicking skill is higher") so it would be easy to get into making a checklist with it.

I keep barely catching myself before forgetting things. A time or two I HAVE forgotten things such as when I completely forgot to glue in the intake duct work and turbo fan on my Vampire....  Even looking dead at it I could see myself gluing on the canopy before finishing the interior.   
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Thanks, Brad!!!  Good to see ya, bud.  :lol:

Going to work on it some today, I believe!! Seems I have "walking " pneumonia so I've cancelled all work for the rest of today and tomorrow to rest up.  So, I can sit here and work on models. Pretty motivated right now!  Time for this lil Toucan and for the Bull Bomber to progress.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

"Walking " pneumonia? Where does it go to?

I've had the conventional sort and I wouldn't wish it on ANYone! I hope they fix it for you soon.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 24, 2017, 02:09:48 PM
"Walking " pneumonia? Where does it go to?

I've had the conventional sort and I wouldn't wish it on ANYone! I hope they fix it for you soon.

Thanks!! I wish it would walk the hell on outta here. The good part is, though, is that of all variety "pneumonia" to have, this is the "best."  I'm lucky I don't have the conventional sort or I imagine I wouldn't be able to work at all. 

For the most part, the "walking" aspect rings true.. I can function and work but it's no fun, for sure, and now I'm having new symptoms of not getting enough oxygen so I'm dizzy and sometimes I nearly pass out... sometimes I cough, evenn just a couple times, and that clears the O2 from my lungs enough to... have me nearly pass out.  One time I was driving down the street when it happened!!   Worrisome. 

Oh well, a nifty excuse to sit around and work on models airplanes. I need to do as close to nothing as possible and sitting here on my bum is about the best way I can think of to do that. 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Well... I made it two hours.  I just don't have it in me to go further. I got a little work done at least!

I worked on my Bull bomber.... uhh... glued a thing that broke and then began putty work on the wing root seams. First pass went well! I was able to put the putty in there then dampen a folded paper towel with white spirits then smoooooothed it out. I messed up some by palming it but overall a good start. I'll let this dry then go back in for another pass then get to sanding it.

For the lil Toucan, I painted on the anti glare strip and touched up the interior stuff... got it all good to go then I hung 'er up and sprayed on a coat of gloss clear. I was planning on going ahead with decaling the thing but... like I said, the bottom dropped out and I'm not feeling all too well so... it's good to let it dry a couple days anyway then won't be long and I'll be done with it. It should turn out nice!!!  I got a "good" amount of work done on it, I think...   the paint touch ups and the anti glare thing where what had the whole thing on hold so at least now we're rolling again.

I only have one lawn to cut Wednesday after picking up garbage so....   for the first time in weeks I may actually be home around noon or 1 PM and may actually have some energy left over!!  I've been looking forward to spending a good chunk of a day working on my kits.. It's been awhile.   <_<
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Stepped off in one this time for sure!!!!!! Trying to move forward on this Tucano.YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZUZ.

I'm DEFINITELY going to be implementing NARSES2 method of taking build notes and making a checklist. I THOUGHT I was ready to decal this thing. I even whipped up a batch of my glorious vinegar/dish soap/hot water blend.  Then I sits down and reference the instructions. Oh crap!! forgot the anti skid walk way stuff on the wings!!  No prob.. a simple masking job and will done..  except.. it was much more a pain in the butt than I imagined.. trying to get the tape down into the wing roots, straight, and correct... was a tedious task that was frustrating and took awhile. BUT, I managed it...      Then, I also noticed that the angle of my tailplanes was WRONG!!!! They're supposed to be flat horizontal at a 90 degree angle with the fin... well, I had them canted upward at about a 10 degree angle. Sure looked good... but NOT ACCURATE.

So, I snapped them off.... sanded down the fuselage where they attach, then filed down the joining surfaces on the tail planes themselves (to ensure a good fit!!) only to get to gluing them on and spend the next half hour or more repeteadely trying to move, remove, re positiong, and get them RIGHT. I was using CA so the work time was short and I kept having to break and re do... and eventually the glue all built up, etc etc and it was just a disaster that was pissing me off.   Eventually I got them all aligned correctly but the area where they join isn't as clean as I'd like it to be... oh well... it still looks decent enough. I'll roll with it.

Current state:

Seems like it takes 5 hours to do 30 minutes worth of work!   ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Canopy won't snug down. I finally figured out what was causing most of that.. the rear instrument panel was too wide... so I started to file it down.. I'l have to repaint but it's almost there. Still not quite snug but I'm too frustrated to keep working. Snapped off an exhaust pipe and repeteadely bent a tailplane.. had to glue and re paint and etc etc and none of it looks as good as it did before I broke everything.

I have to put it down. (ever have a day where it seems like literally everything you touch and try to do just goes to crap???  Yeah, that's today with this one... )  I'll get it eventually but all these mistakes... sheesh.. I still have a lot to learn!   :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

You never stop learning mate.

I would have left the tails with dihedral.  Accuracy is over-rated.   ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on April 27, 2017, 04:10:55 AM
You never stop learning mate.

Absolutely, and you should never, ever be frightened to ask questions no matter how silly  they may seem to you  :thumbsup: