Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

Yes, that is coming along nicely.  :thumbsup:

The idea of a clear coat over the whole sheet is probably the way to go - if you've already cut them apart, what about brushing on the clear? Or blu-tacking them to something, for spraying.
You'll have to be a bit careful the clear doesn't activate the decal's glue, but if it dries quickly you should be able to get up and away again fairly soon after the clear coat.

WRT the ongoing superglue problem, have a think about some sort of extra-thin styrene cement (Tamiya Greentop or Humbrol with the minuscule brushes in the lids) as this forms more of a welded bond, rather than a layer of glue in between the parts.
It bonds really quickly, to the point where you can let go within about 30-60 seconds and it will keep it's place and dry where you want it.
(blowing gently on the join also helps the glue to activate).

I understand the school of thought where 'Superglue is easy and quick', but when you have that sort of ongoing problem, it might be worth trying something else.
I will use SG for certain applications, but for general assembly of all-plastic components, styrene cement is IMHO the way to go - that's what it was made for, after all.  ;)
And. as I said, the thin stuff dries really quickly.

HTH  <_<

TheChronicOne

Quote from: DogfighterZen on April 29, 2017, 04:39:02 PM
That sucks, specially when it's the only set that you have of what you need... Hope you get around it, that little bird is looking great! :thumbsup:

Thanks! It truly is looking nice! I'm happy with it.  It's so cool getting better at painting this stuff.. all the colors and patterns look so neat!

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Rick Lowe on April 29, 2017, 05:00:41 PM
Yes, that is coming along nicely.  :thumbsup:

The idea of a clear coat over the whole sheet is probably the way to go - if you've already cut them apart, what about brushing on the clear? Or blu-tacking them to something, for spraying.
You'll have to be a bit careful the clear doesn't activate the decal's glue, but if it dries quickly you should be able to get up and away again fairly soon after the clear coat.

WRT the ongoing superglue problem, have a think about some sort of extra-thin styrene cement (Tamiya Greentop or Humbrol with the minuscule brushes in the lids) as this forms more of a welded bond, rather than a layer of glue in between the parts.
It bonds really quickly, to the point where you can let go within about 30-60 seconds and it will keep it's place and dry where you want it.

I understand the school of thought where 'Superglue is easy and quick', but when you have that sort of ongoing problem, it might be worth trying something else.
I will use SG for certain applications, but for general assembly of all-plastic components, styrene cement is IMHO the way to go - that's what it was made for, after all.  ;)
And. as I said, the thin stuff dries really quickly.

HTH  <_<

Thanks, brotha!

Can't brush the clear as all I have is rattle cans and generic floor polish which I do NOT trust.  I like the blue tack idea... I may have to use tiny rolls of masking tape, however, but that is a great idea.. I can affix all my little pieces to a piece of cardboard or something them give them what they need from my gloss rattle can.

Digging the glue you mentioned and I've thought about picking some up. I had to go with CA on this particular application, however,  because of the fact that the surfaces were painted ( on the fuselage at least) so there was no chance of actually welding the plastic. With my skill level and the paint scheme, I had to paint all this stuff separately then glue it... that's why I went with CA.

Big thanks for the help and interest, Rick!   :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Oh, right - I missed the bit about pre-painted...  :banghead: and it's all there in the photos, too...  :rolleyes:
That makes more sense, given the paint job and how you went about it.

Glad to help; information not shared is information lost, right?
And just cos some of us know things, that doesn't mean the information is as widespread as we imagine...

kerick

I've brushed Future/Clear on decals before and it worked. Test it on something replaceable
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on April 29, 2017, 05:00:41 PM

The idea of a clear coat over the whole sheet is probably the way to go -

Agree with both of these statements. The only problem with the really thin glue is that sometimes it drys before you actually get the parts together, but otherwise I think it's best to use glue and "weld" the parts together where you can. Super glue can be quite brittle in the way it reacts to a "sharp" tap and that type of action.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

I second Chris.  Superglue is, IMO, too brittle to use on something like horizontal tails.  If i've painted the surfaces i'd use 5 minute epoxy with a blue tac prop holding the stab at the required angle.  Epoxy has much more give before letting go and also excess can be wiped off with a wet (licked) cotton bud before it sets.
I'd also glue one at a time.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Ah ha! I'll use my epoxy next time then. I have tons of it. Haven't used any since I made that nose piece for the F/U-2.

Using the super glue... it's like I'm on pins and needles and don't feel better until I throw the gloss coats on hoping the thin layer of varnish will "help" hold things together.   :rolleyes: ;D

I imagine it does indeed help some but probably not all too much... but... I FEEL better after I've "encapusulated" me airplane.  ;D   

I try not to use CA more than I have to and even when I do, I always use regular weld along with it. -- Sometimes I'll use a tiny blob or two of CA on a piece and then cover the rest of it with regular cement just so the piece will "stick" faster but then I also have the long term effect from actually welding the plastic using the plastic cement. In terms of metal welding, it's like I'm using the CA as "tacks" and the styrene cement as the "bead."  It works great!  But yeah, I don't use CA unless I absolutely have to... plastic on plastic gets welded every time.  :lol:

In other news! I woke up and before I even got my day started I slapped the remaining tranfers onto something heavy that I had just laying around then glossed 'em up. At first I was like, "oh #%^#$%^$!" because I thought I sprayed too much and would soak the sheet and turn 'em all loose but I didn't and they've dried on up marvelously and sure LOOK like they are no worse for the wear and now let's hope this has filled in all the tiny cracks and will hold these things together. I can't wait to try one but I want to go ahead and let them (and me) set for a while.   

And look! It's as if this thing is mocking me at this point.  ;D  It ain't even as if there are a ton of highly detailed transfers I'm waitin' on.. it's just like 8 little things left to go that has the entire build on hold.  :o ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

The transfers wouldn't come off the paper! I got like, two of them... and that's it.  So, I went for a dive through my spares and thankfully found everything I needed. Also, I had to come back with paint and paint brush to fix the roundels.

But... all done! Turned out pretty good!  I plan to get better pics for it at some point.

-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

That looks great, Brad!  :thumbsup: The Tucano is very cool, been thinking of building one as a trainer/light attack plane for the Portuguese AF, just have to buy the kit...   :banghead:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Yup she may have fought you all the way but you are winning, looking good  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: DogfighterZen on April 30, 2017, 04:24:50 PM
That looks great, Brad!  :thumbsup: The Tucano is very cool, been thinking of building one as a trainer/light attack plane for the Portuguese AF, just have to buy the kit...   :banghead:

:cheers:
Do it!!

Thanks everyone! I like how this one turned out. I seem to really like red and white schemes. I have a bunch of other trainer and test planes in the stash that are either red /white or orange /white (and black).  I imagine I'll have a whole shelf for these training and test craft.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I feel like garbage. I have no time to spare for anything fun.. feel like... just... garbage. I'm starting to get over this walking pneumonia but I'm still having after affects like nausea, feeling feint, no damned energy or motivation, etc etc.  I can barely manage the will to come here and update my own threads and work on my own crap and then I feel bad because I'm just so spent that I don't have it in me to comment or look at too much else. I do look around and love everyone's work but when I try to come up with something to say I just.. can't. This mess is so much just like depression but I don't think I'm in a bout of that.. I'm just.... spent! From this stupid illness and having such a heavy work load.

Long story short.. I feel like an donkey for mainly only coming around and updating my own stuff but I promise I wish I could do more! 

My God and to think all this stemmed from going to the Dr. and picking up some bug from their office... the irony stings.  What next, I take a shower and come out covered in mud?  :o

Anyway.... until next time!

-Sprues McDuck-