Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: TheChronicOne on June 06, 2017, 05:09:43 PM

In light of what you have told me, and my own penchant for the Freedom Fighter, I think I'm going to go ahead and proceed with the F-5.

I've a book on the CF-116 (Canadair built F-5) and the last chapter in it is all about what models you can get. Surprisingly, it reckons the Airfix F-5 is very accurate although a bit basic.  I had an opportunity to work on a real CF-116 some years ago (one that is now on display at The Military Museum in Calgary). The real aircraft's major parts actually get assembled just like how you build the kit.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

DogfighterZen

Dang... well, that pre-war scheme is a beauty too... then again, the Viper looks good in any scheme so i'll be waiting...  ;)
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Have you opened up the Mitsubishi box as IME those LS kits (and those knocked out of the same moulds - Arii etc)  tend not to have much raised detail.  Certainly nothing like the Airfix F-5 or Bird Dog.
The Bird Dog BTW is a lovely little kit.  It'll need a bit of joint fettling but it turns out nice.  It's also got whiffabilities such as tricycle undercarriage, low wings, biplane, engine transplant, floats...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 09, 2017, 04:46:28 PM

I had an opportunity to work on a real CF-116 some years ago (one that is now on display at The Military Museum in Calgary). The real aircraft's major parts actually get assembled just like how you build the kit.

I bet you used glue by the tanker-load, didn't you Robert?  ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 09, 2017, 05:48:51 PM
Have you opened up the Mitsubishi box as IME those LS kits (and those knocked out of the same moulds - Arii etc)  tend not to have much raised detail.

I'd second that. They had a suprising amount of finesse for the time  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 10, 2017, 03:09:55 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 09, 2017, 05:48:51 PM
Have you opened up the Mitsubishi box as IME those LS kits (and those knocked out of the same moulds - Arii etc)  tend not to have much raised detail.

I'd second that. They had a suprising amount of finesse for the time  :thumbsup:

Babs went together a treat and so far i've had no trouble with Dinah.  I've had a rummage through Nell's parts but not put anything together yet.  The current boxings (HLJ lists them as Microace but they say Arii on the box) also have the advantage of being nicely affordable at around $AU5 to $AU14 from Hobby Link Japan.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

TheChronicOne

Im impressed all to hell with the LS Nippon Go thingy. Yeah, I've looked at the stuff a bit... looks nice for its age. So much so that I picked up a second kit to do in the green/yellow, etc version for the Japanese military. I think I'm going going to run with it. I couldn't seem to dig up any dirt on it....

You know, thinking back to the Airfix F-5A.  So many people were saying it was a dog, but then again I've heard the same about other kits that I turned around and built anyway that turned out to be a dream to build, and not because I skipped over fixing things, either. Maybe I should go ahead and open up the parts bag and take a closer look at all the parts and do some dry fitting.

I appreciate all the feedback, I'll get to where I need to be in due time with great help like this! 
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 10, 2017, 03:23:33 AM
The current boxings (HLJ lists them as Microace but they say Arii on the box) also have the advantage of being nicely affordable at around $AU5 to $AU14 from Hobby Link Japan.

Good to know mate. I feel a nostalgia trip coming on  :thumbsup:

Can't work out if you are up late or early ?  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 10, 2017, 03:28:37 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 10, 2017, 03:23:33 AM
The current boxings (HLJ lists them as Microace but they say Arii on the box) also have the advantage of being nicely affordable at around $AU5 to $AU14 from Hobby Link Japan.

Good to know mate. I feel a nostalgia trip coming on  :thumbsup:

Current time is 2036 Satyrday 10th June.  Mrs z and I are relaxing in front of the idiot's lantern following a feast of takeaway pizza.  We are currently 9 hours ahead of you (it goes up to 11 at certain times of year) ,meaning you'll be thinking about lunch.

Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 10, 2017, 03:41:53 AM
[

Current time is 2036 Satyrday 10th June.  Mrs z and I are relaxing in front of the idiot's lantern following a feast of takeaway pizza.  We are currently 9 hours ahead of you (it goes up to 11 at certain times of year) ,meaning you'll be thinking about lunch.
[/quote]

Right. Just having a bacon roll actually  :thumbsup:

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 09, 2017, 11:39:55 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on June 09, 2017, 04:46:28 PM

I had an opportunity to work on a real CF-116 some years ago (one that is now on display at The Military Museum in Calgary). The real aircraft's major parts actually get assembled just like how you build the kit.

I bet you used glue by the tanker-load, didn't you Robert?  ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TheChronicOne

Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 08, 2017, 03:34:12 PM
I've only fired a small automatic pistol so far, which belonged to my grandpa, don't remember what it was but it was a pocket size thing. Believe it or not, my dad showed me how to do it and then let me fire it at some trees... i was around 6 or 7 years old, can't remember that detail very well... I do remember that afternoon vividly because i was always fascinated by weapons... it was good fun, but i've never had a real desire to own one, and i wasn't accepted into military service because of the steel rod in my left tibia (bmx backflip gone wrong, broke both fibula and tibia), so i never got a chance to shoot anything else.
Now, the NMF viper would be very cool, how about the Blue nose Bs scheme of the 352nd fighter group?  :thumbsup:

What a coincidence. I was browsing a new web store based in China called "DIMETSTORE.TOP"  and they have a bunch of models. Just so happend I spooted a  Blue Nosed Bee Tamiya P-51D!  $5 so I snagged it. SO........ when the day comes that I DO make this silvery Warbird throwback, I'll have the proper transfers!! I can turn the Mustang into something else......  Actually, you know what, I'd LOVE to do one that has the two tone grey USAF scheme with contemporary markings, etc. A simple swapping of transfers and paint schemes between the kits would be the ticket, and do them side by side as a pair. 

That said, I just considered another option for that scheme... I have the new tool RoG F-22 Raptor in 1/72.......... . . ..  I kind of think the Viper might look better but this Raptor might look good in 'Stang dress...   Just kind of wondering if there is enough room on the fuselage for the markings. I guess the same problem exists for the F-16, however. They don't quite have the nice "flat-ish" broad side as the Mustangs.

But anyway... just thought I'd mention another contender.  I still think I'd rather go with the F-16 and the F-16 seems more like a modern version of a Mustang than the Raptor anyway..

Now, time to sit down and inspect this F-5A!   :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Oh my goodness... definitely not messing with this. I don't even need to look at anything more the fitment, the mold, the SIZE, the..... everything... about this nose piece is ATROCIOUS. The whole thing is drastically wider than the fuselage!!!!! Not only that, but the interior would need to be wallowed out because it sits left of centerline... so... the right side half lines up with the fuselage then on the left side there is a huge step. This OVERHANG measures.075mm, so, in real world this would translate to 54 friggin millimeters!  You could see it from across the room!   :-\ :-\ :-\   Poor lil feller the mold didn't age well at all.

OK, seeing as how the Tamiya P51D is coming from China, from a place I've never dealt with before, I'm going to assume that it will either take no less than two weeks to get here, OR, may not arrive at all, so, that rules out working on the F-22 as far as I'm concerned.  So that does it.. I'm just going to get started on the Mitsubishi Civil "Nell" and go for the gusto. It ought to be a pretty sweet build anyway and I haven't done a single Japanese craft since I start building again a year ago.
:lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Brad, quick suggestion for F-5 kits, either the Italeri(raised panel lines) or the Hobbyboss kit(recessed panel lines), these are the most available and cheapest kits i could find.
Re the BNBs F-22, that has been done in real life, check this out: https://goo.gl/images/O3rZXS
It's not NMF but still looks good, IMHO. I also have the RoG mold kit in the stash, very nice kit! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 11, 2017, 10:09:31 AM
Brad, quick suggestion for F-5 kits, either the Italeri(raised panel lines) or the Hobbyboss kit(recessed panel lines), these are the most available and cheapest kits i could find.
Re the BNBs F-22, that has been done in real life, check this out: https://goo.gl/images/O3rZXS
It's not NMF but still looks good, IMHO. I also have the RoG mold kit in the stash, very nice kit! :thumbsup:

That raptor is sweet!! I love the splash of color on there. Now it's THREE TONE!!  Now I really want to do a swap. I'm going with the Viper though. Mustang and Viper... I just need to get the Mustang here. I've mentioned in the past how apprehensive I am ordering things from Asia. So far, with model kit stuff, none of it has gotten lost. That said, I've always ordered via Ebay. This new store... I dunno....   There's no apparent way to track the package.

But anyway...   I might have a look around eBay and see if I can get that Mustang there in the interim then when the other shows up.... I can just throw it in the stash. Can't really have too many Mustangs I guess... Lord knows I have a billion F-4s... seems like every lot I get off eBay has a Phantom in it. lol

I think I'll get started on the civil "Nell" today.  THAT IS.... UNLESS..... (speaking of ordering stuff from Asia) I get my Shin Kazama F-20 in from Japan. Seems like it's been about the right amount of time that things have arrived in the past. About 2 weeks. Ordered it May 28th so... yeah we're right at two weeks so maybe it will be here today!!!!  Pretty sure the Herky-Bird will be here today, as well, and I can't wait to look at that stuff... especially to see if the clear parts made it with the kit.

Last bit of business... while I'm working on this civil Nell, I think I'll try to fit in bits and pieces of work on my two shelf of doom projects. I said I would get those done after the GBs were done. I actually did some work on both, in fact, but now here I am trying to skip them to do this Mitsubishi. I'll do like I have in the past.... even if it's only minor, so long as I accomplish SOME phase of work on them both, I'll feel better about putting them down to work on the Nell.   :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-