Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Rick Lowe on June 17, 2017, 01:43:32 PM
But then the instructions are all different for every brand of paint, anyway...

If you have a large enough food storage container (plastic ice cream tub, cake tin, tupperware, etc) you can place that upside down over the drying model and that will help keep dust/dried paint/assorted cr@p off it until the paint dries.
Even an old shoe box would be ok.

HTH
That's what I normally do when I spray in the dusty shop. Not going to use the shop at all this time because it's SO dusty that even in the short time I'm spraying, before I can cover it, I'm worried about something going wrong. I'm going to spray outside... that said, I normally don't cover the model when I spray outside....  and come to think of it I had a couple specks and a bug or two land on my stuff last time around so I think I'll take your advice and go ahead and cover it this time! Better safe than sorry.. Thanks!! :D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Finished the props, finished painting the radial engines inside their cowlings. (they all look good... orrr good enough!!   :thumbsup:)

Had to stop further work to deal with "real life" crap. It has really turned my mood and I'm sick of it. For the fourth time in less than a month my sole employee failed to show up for work, and didn't even have the decency to call me. Well, one time, this person was three hours late..... that's the GOOD part, the other three times were no call/no show. Long story short now I've had to postpone jobs and am suddenly stuck trying to hire someone else. It's hard to relax and have fun with all this milarkey hanging over my head!!!!!  And ol' boy YET AGAIN said he'd come pay me the remainder of his bill and DIDN'T SHOW. Good God... I have to deal with unreliable employees and customers both. I'm but one man. This is NOT what I envisioned last year when I restarted this whole mess.  :banghead:  Why is it every time I try to incorporate another human being into my dealings that things go tits up? People are so damned unreliable these days.

Shelving things until Monday afternoon.
-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Sounds like it's time for a change of employee then - if this numnutz hasn't soured you on the whole idea.

Is your equivalent of small claims court a viable option for the other India-Delta-One-Zero-Tango? Or even the threat of same?

TheChronicOne

Definitely you're right. The one I had is fired. No question. I've already put up new advertisement on the local internet things to try to hire another.

As far as ol' boy with the delinquent bill. ..  yes, I could take this idiot to court but, of the $220 I'm owed he actually came and paid $140 which leaves a balance of $80.  Now, that's a decent chunk of money in my world, BUT, the hassle of trying to get it back via small claims will be more trouble than it's worth. It was even more trouble than it's worth back when it was the full $220. At this point, I kind of wish the dude would just shove off. BUT, each time he makes contact and tells me he will come pay I'm obligated to go along with it and at least try to recover my money.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

And people wonder why I show no interest in running my own small business.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 18, 2017, 02:17:05 AM

Zenrat Industries being a LARGE business of course?  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 18, 2017, 03:11:48 AM

Any similarities in the names are purely coincidental Kit.    :mellow:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 18, 2017, 03:25:20 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 18, 2017, 03:11:48 AM

Any similarities in the names are purely coincidental Kit.    :mellow:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

No idea what employment laws are like in the U.S. but I would have thought your errant employee had had enough rope. Time to drop the hatch perhaps ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Most definitely! I was paying her under the table anyway so... no recourse, I dropped the hammer yesterday.And, just like she did me, no call or anyhing. One day she'll call up and ask if there's any money to be made and I'll say, "Nope, you're done."   And, even if I did hire "legally" Oklahoma is an "at will " employment (load of garbage) place where one can be fired for any ol' reason.  "Hey, your shirt is blue and I don't like that shade, YOU'RE FIRED!"  ;D ;D   

All I have to say is I can't wait for winter to get here!!!!! Hell, summer isn't even officially here for another couple days and I'm already wanting it over.

In the modeling world.... hmmmm......   going to take a break today and play video games and watch TV then get back at it tomorrow.  :lol:

-Sprues McDuck-

scooter

Quote from: TheChronicOne on June 18, 2017, 07:16:14 AMAnd, even if I did hire "legally" Oklahoma is an "at will " employment (load of garbage) place where one can be fired for any ol' reason

Most of the states are.  IIRC from my Intro to Business Law class, Montana is the only state that isn't
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

TheChronicOne

Quote from: scooter on June 18, 2017, 08:15:31 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on June 18, 2017, 07:16:14 AMAnd, even if I did hire "legally" Oklahoma is an "at will " employment (load of garbage) place where one can be fired for any ol' reason

Most of the states are.  IIRC from my Intro to Business Law class, Montana is the only state that isn't

Ahh, fascinating! I thought it was closer to half and half. Thanks!  You know, I've always thought living in Montana would be cool....never really gets too hot and the population density is low.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Back at it today! I'm a bit behind at work and my phone is still Alive With The Sound of Excuses but I'm having a better week so far and not feelin shabby at all. Quite motivated to move forward!

What luck... the weather outside is cooperating. Not too windy at all, I can spray outside. It's hot but not TOO hot. In fact, rather than soak the cans in warm water I'm just going to let them sit outside for an hour. Its ~90 degrees F so that should do the trick nicely.

I fished the stand out of the stash. Lucky for me it was pretty much where it ought to be, inside the Hawk U2A box it came with. Also quite lucky is that I need a stand for my three 1/2500 Star Trek ships and this ought to be perfect. I'll have to scratch build some of it but I don't see why I can't handle it. I'll just use some sprue or something and keep it really simple. All that will come later, however, for now I'll mask off the very top where I will eventually glue things to and then throw a quick sanding on the rest and prime it up. Surface is in pretty good shape but there are a few tiny mars in there that need leveling off. (In fact, I just stopped and did this, just need to wash it now)

Here it is along with the props and engines/engine cowlings:

Been reading up and doing homework.  I figure it's all basically the same once dealing with styrene so I read a piece some ol' boy wrote whilst he was working on a Tamiya Ferrari. The range o' sandpaper I bought goes up to 2500 and I was thinking that would be good to go. Like I said before, I've heard of people getting a very vice NMF just going up to 2000. This guy here was using 12,000 grit little polishing pads and such. I suppose if this doesn't go so well this time that I can try them pads on the next attempt. He also used a liquid plastic polish at the very end. I wonder if I could get by with something like Meguiar's or something? Like with paint... I find it difficult shelling out twice or quadruple the money for something specifally geared toward scale modeling when I can get same or better, 4 times the quantity for half or more less.  I mean... I will... I'm willing to.. but damn, I'm trying NOT to.   ;D ;D ;D   I like to save money!  :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Looking good

Quote from: TheChronicOne on June 19, 2017, 12:54:11 PM

I find it difficult shelling out twice or quadruple the money for something specifally geared toward scale modeling when I can get same or better, 4 times the quantity for half or more less.  I mean... I will... I'm willing to.. but damn, I'm trying NOT to.   ;D ;D ;D   I like to save money!  :lol:

It can be suprising the premium that is put on prices once something is marked as being for hobby use  :banghead:

Always worth looking around for the similar thing in a cheaper form. Amazing how often you can find it and quite often in bargain stores  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.