Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Quote from: DogfighterZen on July 09, 2017, 02:52:17 PM
:o That looks terrific!!! :wub: Oh man, can wait to see that finished!!  And i also like the Mayan idea, that's what i call a true what-if! Excellent!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks!! I can't wait to start on it. New territory for me and the part I like is that this all looks pretty easy to do. I'm going to have to butt-fit the wings and will have to watch to keep things from drooping. Then I'll have to saw the bottom wing halves off of the piece they are attached too, then it's just a matter of putty. I'll have to decide which gear set up to use...  I can use the set that attaches to the fuselage (MiG 21) or I can use the Phantom gear that extend from the wings.  If I do that, it will give it the cool looking nose-up stance like so many carrier aircraft have.  Might have the tail too close to the ground though.. I don't have the exhaust on there and it might protrude too far and sit too close to the ground. We'll see!
-Sprues McDuck-

AXU

How the Mayan markings will look like?
Interesting project  :thumbsup:

Rick Lowe

Looking interesting.

I'd use the F-4 undercarriage, with a big wing like that you'd probably want a wider track for ground stability.
If the tailpipe is too close to the ground, how about shortening the nosegear leg?

Would it work to make up a wing spar to keep them straight and non-droopy? You could pass it through a slot in the fuselage.

HTH

TheChronicOne

Quote from: AXU on July 09, 2017, 03:31:04 PM

Honestly?  I'm just going to use Guatemalan roundels.. .. .  ;D   I figure what the heck.. makes it easy on me and I like the way they look. I have an ESCI sheet of transfers. Some are all crooked and will need to be trimmed but certainly usable! As for the rest... well, I'll come up with it all from my imagination.. as far as numbers, letters, placements, and other little types of things. I'm already planning to do a "Sundowners" scheme on the fin but in subdued colors.. like the sun and rays in green and the background in tan or neutral gray. so I can still have the effect but maintain the camoflage type thing going on. Wouldn't make much sense to have a bright colorful fin on a camouflaged plane.

What an amazing coincidence that in this alternate universe the Mayans came up with the same design at the Guatemalans!  :o ;D   It works... because it could be interpreted as being the sun which was big in the Mayan culture.   

Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 09, 2017, 03:43:15 PM
Looking interesting.

I'd use the F-4 undercarriage, with a big wing like that you'd probably want a wider track for ground stability.
If the tailpipe is too close to the ground, how about shortening the nosegear leg?

Would it work to make up a wing spar to keep them straight and non-droopy? You could pass it through a slot in the fuselage.

HTH

Great ideas and both I hadn't considered. I can either shorten the nose gear or extend the main gear... or some combination for a happy medium.

As far as spars go... that's a great idea that I'd like to try. Would be my my first time attempting it. I don't think it would be all too difficult to achieve. Using the holes already in the fuselage for the wings I could put something through there and it would be nice and level without me having to worry about it..it's then just a matter of properly putting holes into the wings themselves. I can try it and if all else fails go back to just butting them. 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Oh and don't let me forget! I want to copy the Australian Army Aviation camo on it...     like this... 

-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

I'm liking that Mig very much already, it's gonna be a beauty for sure! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Mikoyan-Douglas (MiD) or McDonnell-Gurevich (MoG)?

;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on July 09, 2017, 05:29:38 PM
Mikoyan-Douglas (MiD) or McDonnell-Gurevich (MoG)?

;D

I like MoG.   Could be the MoG-Hog.  :mellow: :mellow:   May as well be a FiG.... for FIGMENT of my imagination and now in retrospect "Figment" might have been a worthy reporting name back in the Soviet GB.  :o

Coincidentally the sheet of transfers above is where I'm sourcing the star and bar for the C-Fury.  ;D    I just have to trim that nasty yellow crap from the borders.  :rolleyes: :lol: 

EDIT:  Hello kitty?  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 09, 2017, 06:10:43 PM
I like MoG.   Could be the MoG-Hog.  :mellow: :mellow:   May as well be a FiG.... for FIGMENT of my imagination and now in retrospect "Figment" might have been a worthy reporting name back in the Soviet GB.  :o

So, would it be a FIG-21 Fishphantom or Phantomfish, or even Phantombed or Bedphantom?   :rolleyes: ;D
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

AXU

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 09, 2017, 04:58:03 PM

Honestly?  I'm just going to use Guatemalan roundels...
What an amazing coincidence that in this alternate universe the Mayans came up with the same design at the Guatemalans!  :o ;D   It works... because it could be interpreted as being the sun which was big in the Mayan culture.   

Good choice  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 09, 2017, 08:03:31 AM
I wonder what elephant meat tastes like?  :unsure: ;D

Well a Hotel I stayed in in Kenya served crocodile, zebra and gazelle amongst others - no elephant though. As I figured zebra would be akin to horse meat and gazelle to venison (both of which I've eaten) I had the crocodile. Interesting, a little tough and not much flavour.

I like the Mayan idea. Mayan/Aztec/Inca Empires in conflict perhaps ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Fred

NARSES2

No, but only because I didn't think of it at the time  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: DogfighterZen on July 09, 2017, 11:15:05 PM
Bedphantom?   :rolleyes: ;D

;D ;D

Quote from: AXU on July 10, 2017, 02:42:56 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 09, 2017, 04:58:03 PM

Honestly?  I'm just going to use Guatemalan roundels...

Good choice  :thumbsup:

Thanks! As far as the actual camo itself I'd like to come up with a totally new pattern.. never before seen... I have some ideas but I might need to test them on my test bed plane.

Quote from: zenrat on July 10, 2017, 04:27:20 AM
EDIT:  Hello kitty?  ;D

Gun Kitty - Say hello to my little friend...
:wacko:
Works for me!!  Cute and Violent go hand in hand.  :laugh: :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-