Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 29, 2017, 10:49:11 AM

Perhaps it's a brushed version of Halfords Appliance White?  ;D

I wish there was such a version. Or is there ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Just gotta decant it, right? lol    That reminds me... I've been meaning to pick up some of that good ol' fridge paint. . . . .
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 30, 2017, 05:49:36 AM

Not that I know of, but as the Cap'n suggests I've sprayed some into the can cap and used that with a brush before now. It ends up the same colour but it dries VERY quickly so you have to be fast.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 30, 2017, 05:49:36 AM

WW2, mate! Pre-rattle cans, I believe, so it's probably all they had.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

What's he painting anyway ? A Boston ? Looks like it. Plus I wonder what he'd done to get that job ?  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 31, 2017, 06:14:24 AM
What's he painting anyway ? A Boston ? Looks like it. Plus I wonder what he'd done to get that job ?  ;)

Look like B-26 Marauders in the background, so I'd reckon the same? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 31, 2017, 07:30:39 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 31, 2017, 06:14:24 AM

Look like B-26 Marauders in the background, so I'd reckon the same? :unsure:

On second sight you could well be right. And having had a really good look at the guy's uniform I see he's USAAF rather than RAF as I first thought (makes sense in Life) so yup B.26's it is.

TheChronicOne

Going to try to get back to work today. Haven't touched a project in about a week and a half or so. Been in one of those down moods again brought on by BS. I have a lot of maladies including a really bad back with sciatica probs and herniated discs and the like but when I tell people I can't always do all the busy work they want me to do people get mad at me and ridicule me for it as if I'm making it all up. Anyway, that, coupled with all the pain just did me in for awhile but I'm starting to feel better as I get caught up at work and as the weather cools down!!!  :wub: :wub:

Enough of that... I'd like to get the C-Fury primed today. I was looking at it yesterday or the day before and It's pretty close on the PSR stage....  Just a little more sanding on the main wings and then the tail plane roots.

I keep forgetting to finish painting the pilot but I need to do that and also put on the last couple of coats of yellow on the cowling. Sometimes I get yellow to cooperate... other times it takes 6 coats.  :rolleyes:   One of these days I'll figure out what the deal is but I learned recently that I haven't been properly thinning my paint. I've been laying it on TOO THICK and that could help with coverage, certainly, but isn't the right way to go about it. So.. now, the paint is thinner and taking more coats. That's my theory anyway.

While this sits drying from primer I need to get back to fixing on the Mitsu where I ate up the plastic with a large surplus of glue. I've kind of lost my way on this one.. like I said prior, I really wanted to just focus on the finish. Of course, one part of achieving such is a nice, smooth surface, but, I've been trying to get the wing roots PERFECT and this has taken up the bulk of my time!  So anyway, I'd like to get the PSR done on this today if at all possible.

Blew some money on some really nice kits recently.  Had a good month and had quite a nice stack of cash after all the bill paying and the like. Some already got here, some still on the way but I'll try to remember to post them in the stash thread. Also, I need to update my finished builds thread with the Calzone.

TTYL  :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Invasion stripes are on.

Kidding.  ;D  Just my Mrs. Surfacer 10,000,000  filler technique.  One last bit of sanding with some fine paper then it's off to the priming. I'm going to have to sit down and read the cans again but I believe.... there's a way, if I do it right... to go all the way up to the silver in one whack.  Well, I think I can with the primer then the gloss black, but I may have to let it set up. But, if I can do the spray, 15, spray, 15, all the way into gloss black at least ... that will get me well on track. Barring the lightning-speed painting I'll just do a 2 day schedule.. prime, wait two days, then do the gloss black, then wait.... well, probably more like 7-10 days at that point because it takes a while to dry whereas teh primer dries much faster. So, more like a 2-7/10... lol    Then finally the silver then I have to let the damn thing sit around about a month.

Odd thing, this silver paint. ---- They say NO TOUCH and they are right. If you have to touch it, make sure to be wearing cotton gloves. Odd thing is... back when I I painted the stand... after I let it dry up 3-4 weeks I touched it and it didn't hurt anything..... however, I tried again about a week ago and royally screwed up the finish. I then tried my nice, soft shirt (but hella rough on on a microscopic scale, I'm sure) and even that wrecked the finish. Doing all this on purpose, mind you, so I have the experience under my belt and become knowledgeable of this paint.  I mean.... this will be far from the last NMF I do so it pays to learn not only how to succeed, but to fail.

Pilot is painted! He looks great. Also.. down to the last coat or two on the cowling then I'm going to try again to sand it.... I will try again to sand it before I clear coat it but if it doesn't work, I'm going to clear it to keep the stupid paint attached to the piece. I FORGOT TO PRIME IT so the paint doesn't want to adhere (yes, I washed it with detergent & water and kept it clean during all phases).

That's it for now.. back to the final sanding then time to read some cans. This is a pretty fun phase of the build because things start moving faster and I'm down to just painting , transfers, and final assembly. In other words... main assembly and PSR are done and that's always a good feelin'!  :laugh:

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Still a few imperfections but they are minor. Primed and ready to go! I had to cook (still am) so I didn't get into doing the gloss black that is A-OK. I can continue again in a couple days without feeling rushed.

Pretty happy with how this lil feller is shaping up.  :mellow:

All for today I guess. 
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

TheChronicOne

It so is! 

Man, I grabbed the paint brush yesterday and started slathering on my Mrs. Surfacer (thinned white paint lol ) and a big ol smile came across my face. It just got better as I realized I was done with PSR and now this morning I took a look at the dried primer and ........well, like I said, there are imperfections but I'm MORE than happy with it. She's ready to take on the gloss black tomorrow!!  Good stuff. In fact, I'm at the point now where I can't even work on it any more until the painting is done which will be about a month from now. ;D  Thus is the update.

With this one at this stage I get to continue work on the Mitsu which is creeping ever closer the the same exact goal... primed, gloss blacked, then NMFed..I doubt I'll get to work on it tomorrow because with the chores I have scheduled and the painting on the C-Fury there won't be time, but, it's next up on the "finish the PSR" phase.

I suppose at some point in the near future I'm going to find myself lacking things to work on in which case I'll be picking up the KX-81 Kukulcan and getting underway with that one. KITBASH. SOUTH AMERICAN Mayan Empire Air Force stuff!  Fuselage from one, wings from another... and who knows what else. Going to try an camoflage experiment on it, as well.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Just saw this floating down the Facebook stream.

If the day ever comes where I take my CRAP to a show, I think I'll whip up one of these:

Brief update. .....  Upone closer inspection in better light, I need to do more PSR to the wing roots... This sucker is going to be NMF so I need things as smooth as possible. One side is pretty tolerable and I could live with it, but the other side is not. You can tell it was a separate piece instead of the fuselage just flowing into the wing. I can't in good conscience not address this so... back to the PSR phase again.  :rolleyes: :lol: ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"