Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Bloke I worked with was complaining that the pics he had been taking on his phone were crap.  He'd had it for a while and couldn't understand how people with the same phone took good photos but his were crap.
So we peeled the protective plastic film off the lens...
:mellow:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

;D ;D ;D ;D

Sounds like something I would do!  I checked this one one time when I was thinking that the back cover had a clear piece that went over the lens... which would make too much sense....  because that way one could just buy a new cover with a fresh clear piece, but, no the cover comes off and the lens sticks through and is protected only by itself.   :rolleyes:  I know it's scratched up a bit but..... still, I wind up taking good pictures from time to time anyway so...    It's taking a long time but I'll figure it all out eventually I hope.  :rolleyes: ;D

IN OTHER NEWS!!! Silver is going on the C-Fury today.... and the gear doors. I wonder........  if the transfers can go right on it and I won't have to worry about silvering? I mean, even if they silver up a bit it won't be so obvious because of the color of paint. Trying to avoid spraying gloss clear on top of it and potentially fouling the finish.

This is a few weeks down the road, though.  Definitely letting it set no less than a couple weeks after I get this on... and have to go buy some cotton gloves unless I miraculously find on the the pairs I already own. (HA!)

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Silvering could possibly be worse on a shiny NMF model because the decal film won't reflect light the same way the paint does.
I recommend trimming really really closely.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on September 22, 2017, 03:46:09 AM

So we peeled the protective plastic film off the lens...
:mellow:

We've never worked together, have we ? As I hang my head in shame  :rolleyes: :-X
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on September 22, 2017, 04:25:54 AM
Silvering could possibly be worse on a shiny NMF model because the decal film won't reflect light the same way the paint does.
I recommend trimming really really closely.

Will do!! I'm starting to get the idea that that is a good idea as a general rule, anyway. Ran into numerous instances of having to peel them back off and trim while wet; "dry fitting" doesn't always work, either, and had instances of them being too large, knocking into other transfers, etc.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

The C-Fury is a silvery beast!!!!

Ran into a conundrum on the engine cowling... supposed to only be yellow up toward the front by the props but in the interests of ease and expediency I've decided the whole thing will be yellow. There's not much way around it. Next time I'll have to use spray or something because 15 coats of yellow up against.. oh.... 5-6 coats of other just won't work. I thought about sanding it smooth and got some pretty good results. I was going to just mask the stripe, then spray the black on top of the yellow, then the silver on that but I don't think it will look right.

I guess I can get back to sanding on the Mitsu now. I think I was getting close to the wing roots being good to go... just need to fix that spot on the fuselage I royally messed up.  I have another of these in the stash and when I build it I will make sure to double check my dry fitting. If I had done THAT part right in the first place I wouldn't have had half of the problems I'm having now. Funny thing is I did dry fit...  I think I got in a hurry though and didn't really look at it.... I mean REALLY look at it. If I had, I would have noticed these problems.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Done with the PSR on the Mistubishi........  .......  ...    Civil Nell... I forgot the numbers and letters. It's the Nippon-Go!

Done enough that I need to re-prime it, however, so I'll do that in a few.   The black I'm using next says it has primer in it but.. I'd rather get this thing back to a solid color before I start doing all that.

I need to paint a little more on the engine cowling then it's time to switch gears to the next build.

Anyone remember the KX-81 Kukulcan? I DO!   :wacko: ;D    I'm going to grab that stuff and see what else I might think of adding to the plane. I was thinking... maybe..... some canards???  Turn the tail into a cruciform or T-tail perhaps????  Add some doo-dads?? 

I know I need to take the bottom plate from the Phantom kit and saw off the sides. The wings will be mounted mid way on the fuselage instead of on the bottom so that has to be corrected.

Might get some gluing done on it today. That would be nice... but.... might just be a lot of brainstorming and dry fitting instead.  <_<
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I'm such a tool.  ;D

Sprayed the primer on. "Yeah, we're good... "    Spray spray spray then next thing you know I'm up to my old tricks of just hosing down the airplane wit' paint so a run developed.  :angry: :lol: ;D

Easy fix... the important thing is that the PSR work is quite satisfactory (to my tastes) so I'm done with that phase. Just have to let the primer dry, sand off the run, re-spray, and proceed as planned.

Too bad, though, about the run.....  I mean.... DARN; guess I'll just have to work on this ~KiTbAsH~~~ nstead!  ;D :lol: :lol:

Canards wont work... T-tail didn't look right, and neither does cruciform. I'll have to consider other things to add later but the truth of the matter is there's not a whole lot of room on the fuselage for me to "innovate."

Going to focus on cutting these wings for now. Drew a guideline now I'll start cutting. I suppose I can score first with a hobby knife to be more accurate but uhh... I don't think it will be necessary. I just hope this little hack saw is worth a C.R.A.P.   ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

British Plastic > Chinese "metal."

Dolla sto' hacksaw is a pile of junk but it got the job done. I won't go into details, but the thing is poorly made and even just sawing on plastic was dulling the piss out of the teeth.

That said!!! I got the things cut loose and now the wing halves have been glued together and even had putty applied to the one area on each that needed it.

Fuselage is also together after filing away burrs and testing for fit. It goes together well and the design drastically cuts down on the visible seem on top! NICE! I'll have my hands full with putt on the bottom side of the wings so any bit of help I can get is appreciated.

No real plan of action on this one...  I just wanted to get started, and I have.

Wait til you guys see what I have in store for the paint scheme... not only the scheme, but the method itself... stay tuned for that. It ought to be a real hoot! 
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 24, 2017, 04:05:16 PM

Dolla sto' hacksaw is a pile of junk but it got the job done. I won't go into details, but the thing is poorly made and even just sawing on plastic was dulling the piss out of the teeth...

Styrene is surprisingly hard on cutting tools, even good ones meant for cutting it.
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on September 25, 2017, 04:09:20 AM

Dolla sto' hacksaw is a pile of junk but it got the job done. I won't go into details, but the thing is poorly made and even just sawing on plastic was dulling the piss out of the teeth...

Styrene is surprisingly hard on cutting tools, even good ones meant for cutting it.

Very much so, even the softer styrene  :banghead:

As for yellow ? I know it sounds daft but use pink as a primer and it covers far better. As for shade of pink ? I just mix something up on the lighter side of the shade from white and red at about a 5 or 6/1 ratio.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Flyer on September 25, 2017, 12:17:31 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 24, 2017, 12:42:22 PM

Anyone remember the KX-81 Kukulcan? I DO!   :wacko: ;D

Nope, googled it and found images of Incan type pyramids/temples. :-\
No surprise google was unhelpful as I made it all up. Mashing a MiG 21 and an F-4 Phantom together,dredging up an ancient culture, and calling it a whif.

Here ya go:

What if the Mayans never went away? What if they survived to contemporary times and have their own aircraft manufacturing an' all'at? 

Royal Mayan Air Force KX-81 Kukulcan (feathered serpent). KX being the first letters to the Mayan words for "Sky Demon" or "Sky Phantom".

In a way it reminds of an F-100....

Everything fits pretty nice. Of course... may have to make some adjustments along the way and I reserve the right to add even more neat stuff. Probably going to steal some weapons out of a 1/48 Skyray to make some sort of ... something. This is all alternate universe stuff so I can't really do anything wrong if you ask me.

:o ;D ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 25, 2017, 06:00:38 AM

Very much so, even the softer styrene  :banghead:

As for yellow ? I know it sounds daft but use pink as a primer and it covers far better. As for shade of pink ? I just mix something up on the lighter side of the shade from white and red at about a 5 or 6/1 ratio.

I had no idea!!! I was just assuming the hacksaw was trash. Maybe it's not so bad after all!  Learn something new all the time.

Definitely will try the pink priming method.  :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

I have some Tamiya pink primer and I always have trouble getting good coverage with yellow paint.  I'll try using the pink primer next time.
Fred

TheChronicOne

Been raining about 5 hours non stop and not looking to let up any time soon. (why the hell is it every time I sit down to type this stuff out, that's the exact moment people start bothering me?!)
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

:rolleyes: ;D ;D

Anyway......

Doing a full-stop clean up and re-organize of this hobby room whilst I do my other chores. Not going to let myself have any "fun time" working on these current projects until I get it done. I have a lot of loose ends needing tied up.... various parts of kit left overs and stuff sitting here and there... a box being used as a "catch all" with numerous things in it, etc.  Just gotta get this mess cleaned up, that's all there is to it.  ;D

Should take a couple more hours then I can get back to work. I need to sand, one last time, a small area on the Mitsu fuselage then a couple more shots of primer then it's back to work on the Kukulcan. Pronounced KOOKLE-CON I do believe... ain't no CUCKLE-CAN.  ;D

-Sprues McDuck-