Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 13, 2017, 04:35:09 PM
Eventually we'll convert to metric, too!  ;D ;D

They tried that in the U.K. and we now have a strange mix of both Imperial and Metric. However I think the powers that be simply accepted the fact you couldn't force it on people and just accepted the natural order of things for once  :thumbsup:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 14, 2017, 01:36:12 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 13, 2017, 04:35:09 PM

Eventually we'll convert to metric, too!  ;D ;D

Texas will NEVER do that, will they?  ;)

I once had an interesting time explaining to a gentleman in Alabama that a U.S. ton and Imperial ton were not the same thing. Once he'd grasped that I then had to explain that I wanted figures in Metric Tonnes anyway  ;D Never did get that one sorted, I just converted the figures  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

We kind of sort of did the same here... I remember the hype back in the 80s when it was established that we were going to convert (well, some of these details could be hazy, as the 8-ball says) but just like y'all, we kinda just gave up and we have a bit of a mixed system now. Which... is worse than picking oe or the other if you ask me, but whatever!  ;D ;D

Work today consists of painting (I hope) the Mitsu with the silver paint. I'd like to work my way through 2-3 mist coats then a wet coat then let it sit for 48 hours and repeat.... the repeat... and then repeat. Going to try polishing this time to get that really good shine and eliminate orange peel. This ought to be interesting...

Other than that, back to work on the KX-81.  Got to glue in the spacer for the T-tail and putty up the main wings. Not sure what else is going on... maybe some painting or something I dunno.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: DogfighterZen on October 14, 2017, 01:46:22 AM
The C-Fury looks amazing! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks, bruh!!!  I really liked how it turned out. SHINY!!!  Going to try to take some pics outside today (pffft yeah right, every time I say this I wind up not doing it) and then some group pics with other NMF efforts of the last year.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

At risk of repeating myself, I think I'm ready to roll. I stopped and cleaned up and re-organized the model building command center here and I'm ready to get under way. PLANS ARE TO putty up these seams on this KX-81. Going to use my Testors on top because the gap is very small (need to use it up anyway, even if I decide the Bondo stuff is the way to go, I'm not one to waste things!) then use the other on the bottom.

I hope I can get this done and sanded pretty quick so I can start work on the T-tail which I'm really looking forward to.  :thumbsup:

Prime after that I think then start painting small bits maybe...   :unsure:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Man!!! One thing I didn't see mentioned or failed to remember when reading up on this Bondo glazing putty stuff is that it is quite HOT and will melt into the plastic just like typical plastic weld.  :o :o :o

I got a bit slathery with it so I'm already learning a valuable lesson about this stuff! I don't think it's a probelm that will break the build or anything but it will take a little extra time to get it cleaned up.

Oh well, the top side of the wings are in really good shape.. I just need to do a final bit of light sanding then only thing left is the bottom. Problem is I need to let the stuff dry adequately and with the amount and type of stuff, it's taking awhile. Probably won't be able to do anything to it today because I'm about to wrap this stuff up and go shoot monsters and other weird things in some video games.

;D

Did get a bunch of painting done on the small items. Wheels are done, gear are done, the exterior paint work on all the gear doors and speed brake are done. The little tube weapon things (no clue what the hell they are) are done, I'll post a pic of them soon... I don't even remember what kit the came from... molded in a sky blue type of color.  I'll have to go back through my pics and try to spot a blue plane. I don't remember building anything molded in baby blue..  :unsure: ;D

Fuel tank has been assembled and PSRed and first coat of paint.

Mast has been painted in it's base color awaiting stripe work.

Actually got a fair amount of stuff done!  :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I can't just sit here and act like this didn't happen. One of my best friends lil brother shot himself on accident. He's dead. He was my friend, too, not just "a friend's brother."

Of three brothers he was the baby. I've had a close relationship with them for nearly 20 years. Less seeing of each other of late, but them's the breaks amongst folk getting older and finding themselves with too many responsibilities. I watched this lil dude grow up, though. Damn, we had a lot of good times. He was always happy to see me.... "Hey B-rad!"

Being so close to him and his family this is having a downward effect on my mood. It happened yesterday morning but I kind of blocked it out so I could go to work and function. Now, that I have a bit of free time to myself, It's hard to not dwell upon.

This in turn is bringing me back to when my own brother was killed in 2004 and recently when my pops died late in 2013.

There for a few days some of my back pain had lessened and finally my mood was improved. FINALLY, after weeks. Now, all this garbage. It figures. A tiny taste of feeling good then a disaster.

Not much to do with model building but it's my blog, so whatever. (like the other things I whine about!  ;D )

Ahh... but... man, this sucks..   

I can say this though.. when I got to working on my KX-81 today it really helped to clear and focus my mind and the work put me in a better place. I'm going to chug along, not give up, keep going to work, and keep building my CRAP.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

S**t, what a terrible thing to happen.
I feel for you and the family.
Be strong.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That is terrible news mate, best thing is to share it rather than bottle it.

My condolances to you and the mates family.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

As Fred & Chris said; Terrible news of a tragic event.

My condolences to you & the lad's family, too.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Thanks. I still can't believe it.

A freak accident!?  Jeeze.

I know I'm not the only one that will be interested in hearing "the full story." Jake never really struck me as the irresponsible type... This is having known him for 18 years, too.

Anyway.... shifting modes!  Anyone familiar with the Trumpeter 1/72 Tu-160?   :unsure:

-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Sorry to hear that... My condolences to you and your friend's family.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Thanks, my friend. A tough deal all around, for sure.

Back to the KX-81!  I had a surprise lawn pop up yesterday(scheduled today) and I'm not going to say "no" so... here at 5 AM I'm working on this project.  ;D ;D  Trying to get ahead a little bit so when I DO get home I can get right back in to the next layer of putty. It's going to take very little but there are a couple low spots and a bit of shrinkage of the Bondo stuff (which I expected) but I should be able to get it all knocked out today and do the final sanding on the wing roots then I can construct the T-tail.  :mellow: :mellow:

It would be reaaaaally great to get these items taken care of so I can prime this. I'd like to see what it looks like with all PSR finished up and one shade of color.  :lol:

In unrelated kit news, I bought a Trumpeter 1/72 Tu-160. Oh boy oh boy!! I've been wanting one for a while now, just had to wait for one to come up cheap enough. WATCH SOME CRACKHEAD STEAL THE PACKAGE OFF THE FRONT PORCH WHEN IT GETS HERE.  :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Yeah buddy!! Using my $1 sanding block thing to get these wing areas in order... then to finish off, I use it behind my Testors sanding films!! Eureeka!!  I said before I wish I had bought like 5 of these sanding block deals. They conform to whatever you work on. Brilliant!  Coupled with the sanding films... man... got a winner right here. I'm going to buy TEN of 'em now.  ;D

On to the T-tail, now. This is going to be good...  :mellow:   :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-