Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Right on!! ^

Hmm.. red letters and numbers would be glorious! I think I might have some numbers. ^^
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Found in the entirety of the stash TWO red letters sets "07" but they were outlined in white. Settled on black for that. Should look great with the other black on there and since the places I'll be putting them only contain thin strips of black everything should work fine.

Going to wrap up the paint tidying this morning then time for gloss. After that, I need to mask a bunch of stuff to paint black and also paint the dividing line between upper and lower parts of the airplane.

Going to be really windy today so yet another day of delay on continuing painting the Mitsubushi so I MIGHT get started on the other kitbash plane I started.

I think I'll make it Bri'ish with the glorious all white paint job and anti-flash markings.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I have about 15-16 hours in this stupid paint job alone.. I HOPE people like it...    :rolleyes: ;D

It's done now, and I just glossed it. I think it looks good!! 

I've half a mind to let it sit for anouther 45 minutes then start in on the transfers but NAAHHHHHHHH. I've had enough of this fun for one day.

I did manage to get some other things done. Seeing as how I lost it, I scratch built a pylon for the centerline fuel tank out of a sprue name plate. Just need to paint it.. already glued on even.

Also finished painting the gun pods, pilot, and all but a tiny bit of touch up on the gear doors. Painted the mast, also. Finished painting the intake. Finished painting the RATOs.

All that's left, really, is transfers then glueing on the fiddly bits.. I will need to modify the main gear in some fashion to give the impression that they fold into the fuselage instead of into the wings. To that end, I'm going to cut them up and re-fashion them like the main gear on a Hornet. Should work fine and also help to achieve the nose-high stance I'm wanting.  :mellow: :mellow:

I may or may not stop back by with a picture of the current paint... I usually stop doing pics at some point so as not to spoil the final reveal but... ehh.... I might anyway. I've already shown most of my cards.  ;)
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I was convinced earlier that I was going to play video games but I'm watching Longmire and I kind of don't want to turn it off right now.  ;D

That means I need something to do while I sit here, so I'm going to go ahead and start decalling this bird.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Damnit, man.

Went to use the roundels I selected and they just won't work. Clash way too much,..... wrong color of green that clashes (somehow) with the other greens and the white simply doesn't go with ANYTHING. (took 'em off... they were on about 20 minutes but thankfully they came right back off with ease)

It's cool, though, as I have found a suitable replacement in low-vis!  These will be cool.... this anachronistic as it is and these will help reinforce that aspect of the build.

I'm not going to spoil what they are, though! Just wait and see... if they work the way I see them working in my mind, this should wind up being way better than what I was going to use anyway!  :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

This thing is whoopin' my azz.

I ain't givin up though.

I finally glued on the nose piece that is also the intake.  Failure to dry fit after all the painting means there was a huge step on one side. I had to break out the big file and sand paper to get the piece flush w/ the fuselage. Needless to say, I had to re-paint.

Did that, now I'm using my floor polish to coat this "fix" so that I can apply transfers. When all is said and done, I will spray the entire piece with satin clear.

All this work on the nose is important.  :rolleyes:

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Lost my mind and became obsessed with this. At each stage of the decoration I'm finding I need to go back, and repaint things. Doing that now! Thank God I'm finishing the whole thing off with copious satin . .. ..
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

I hate it when that happens, it sucks to have to go back and redo what was done... it happens on almost all of my builds too and sometimes it just makes me put the thing aside and go do something else to cool my mind down... :rolleyes:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

With this paint scheme I have no damn clue what the hell is going on.  :o ;D  I was making the nose correct when I saw a bigass gap in the paint so I had to paint acrylics all over the top of the gloss coat.  :rolleyes:

#%#@$  I made it all work. When I eventually spray the satin clear I'll seal this travesty in and forget all about it.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Me and this thing, man!!!! I was up to some ungodly hour last night but I managed to finish the paint, apply just enough floor polish to put on transfers, and then actually DO the transfers.

*I* think it looks cool.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :ph34r:

Now on to getting all the fiddly bits glued on then I can satin clear it and it'll be done.  :lol: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Well.... I think I put too much weight in the nose. This things weighs alot so my landing gear aren't wanting to stay put.  :-\  I can't shorten them like I wanted to either becuase of the fuel tank.

Found the missing pylon, lost the piloT.  :o ;D    Just gluing the canopy on w/ PVA though so when/if he turns up and can put in him where he belongs.

Ran out of time yesterday... I could have potentially finished this off but I lost an hour due to a work emergency (that turned out to be NOTHING at first glance.... ) but I want to take pictures of this OUTSIDE. It was getting dark. I wouldn't have made it anyway, most likely, with the gear problem, etc. Still need to satin coat it all, too.

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 26, 2017, 03:55:09 AM
...but I want to take pictures of this OUTSIDE. It was getting dark. I wouldn't have made it anyway, most likely, with the gear problem, etc. Still need to satin coat it all, too.

Glow in the dark paint... ;D

I have some.  I must try it out.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on October 26, 2017, 04:23:39 AM

Glow in the dark paint... ;D

I have some.  I must try it out.

Really effective for nuclear power stations... :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

TheChronicOne

:o ;D

I'll leave that one to you. Funny thing, literally just 2-3 minutes ago I was reading something on Facebook about glow in the dark paint to use for slime lights.  :mellow:  Stars must be aligned somewhere.

Here's another thing to try.... paint that works with black light. A buddy of mine sometimes paints certain parts of his space ships with it then takes pics under the black light... makes things glow and stuff. Pretty cool!

EDIT: May as well update since I'm working on this thing here in the glorious SW Oklahoma pre dawn hours... .     Managed to get the gear struts glued back on but now the camber of the wheels is RIDICULOUS so I'm cutting them off and will have to mod the struts. I'll also glue in some type of reinforcement so they hold weight. This type of thing is at the very limit of my skill set and I'm barely muddling through. Probably won't look right, at all, under scrutiny but if I can just get these gears to where they look sort of right and will hold weight, I'll consider it a victory.

I'd like to at least get the reinforcement in before I leave for work so that it has a few hours to set up. This means measuring and cutting up sprue pieces.
-Sprues McDuck-