Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Busted one of the turkey feathers for the Vanquish... I won't go into detail... let's just say I have a bit of brain storming to do and possible a couple hours of casting my own piece.  :rolleyes:   ALWAYS SOMETHING at the end of a build. Always.

Anyway... I stopped short of glossing it but I have the cockpit detail finished and I glued the nose piece on. I think simply doing THAT has helped matters immensely!  ;D ;D 

Glorified Moth-Pencil!  ;D

Here's the Herc before I head over to that thread for an update:

Hercules, Eater of Paint.

Going to look into the camo for the wing block on the Galaxy now and let these other build stew for awhile...

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Ahhh yeaaah. That's what 'n the hell I'm talkin' 'bout.  :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

My camera skills haven taken a nose dive for some reason after the glorious Cuban Sea-Fury and NAVY P-51 but I'm trying. The European I camo is on the wing block now!  :laugh: :laugh:

I have to come back in with white paint, obviously, but that shouldn't be too big of an ordeal.

When I'm done I'm going to post it on a Facebook group about 50's-80's USAF planes and I GUARANTEE you some asshat will try to claim it's BS.  ;)
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

The whole Galaxy is within my grasp!  :wacko: :wacko:

I did a fair amount of touch up at the areas needing it. Quite obvious the parts that needed paint..

Anyway...  at this point, I've done these "touch ups" and will do a couple more. This means I will have to come back with the gloss again to get the finish all the same sheen. I'm thinking the radome/spacer piece and the new wing block are probably in a flat type of finish, so I think what I'll do is do a quick mask job and spray my satin on the nose and wing block, and gloss on the rest.

Aside from that, all that remains are the transfers.  :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

:o And here i was, believing NASA's "The galaxy is immense!" theory... what next, the earth is flat?!? :wacko: ;D :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Can you believe them flat-Earthers?!   ;D    I find it an amusing thought experiment but how in the hell can anyone ACTUALLY believe that malarkey?  ;D ;D ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

These current projects don't seem to want to die but when I DO get them done they're all going to be done in quick succession. I could be done with all 4 in under a week. Mitsu just needs 5-6 parts glued on (10 minutes) the Galaxy just needs a tiny bit of sanding with a sanding stick, glossed, then decalled. Vanquish needs new nozzles which I've decided to just cast on my own. Casting them shouldn't take more than a day (spread out) but in the meantime I can do all the rest... all the way up to completion in fact. It just needs glossed then decalled. After that, just gotta glue on the gear and doors! (Then the nozzles by time time should be dry enough to paint and attach).  Wild card is the Hercules but having time freed up by finishing a couple others means it will start being done quicker. I still need to do a fair amount of masking etc on it so I'd say it'll be a matter of 3-4 days left on it. Maybe less? Masking could be less a task than I'm expecting. We'll see.

ALL THAT BLOVIATING OUT DA WAY leads to my next order of business... getting some new projects rolling!

Tons to choose from:

*Real world F-14A(Hase old school) Jolly Rogers. Bought a ton of after market goodies to go on this like pre painted PE cockpit stuff, etc. This will be a lot of work but should be KILLER.

*Somalian F-22 (new RoG) Raptor(doing a little research today to see what sort of paint jobs they've used over the years)

*Pre War Era U.S. Army F-16 with gorgeous blue fuselage and glorious yellow wings. (leaning heavily on this and I'm itching to do a modern jet build)

*THREE Mustangs:

One will be Thunderbirds flight demonstrator "Spirit of '76" and one will be my own creation created on the P-51B of an NMF Thunderbirds version done with the left-over                                                     
                Transfers from the first one and paint work. The third will be a super ultra modern "now-a-days" paint scheme transfered from "Equipment Excellence" grey on grey "camo" and low vis markings from USAF (F-16).

*Mach 2 Seabee for the Floatin G.B. (not likely)

*F-20 Shin Kazama:

*One that I already decided not to do because it is resin.  ;D   L&M Matica.

*One I forgot about .    OH YEAH!!!  The Polish Moo-Cow.  ;D ;D   I"m going to paint a P-47 to look like a Holestein Cow because I think it's funny. Definitely doing this one!!

So that's what I'm doing today.. just kind of poking around and brainstorming on what the next build will be.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

That Monogram P-51B kit may be ancient but it's a delightful build. Even the later moulded ones still fit as if they're molecularly welded!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 15, 2017, 11:21:44 AM
That Monogram P-51B kit may be ancient but it's a delightful build. Even the later moulded ones still fit as if they're molecularly welded!

Yup. I've very fond memories of Monogram kits of that era  :thumbsup:

Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 15, 2017, 08:46:01 AM
Can you believe them flat-Earthers?!   ;D    I find it an amusing thought experiment but how in the hell can anyone ACTUALLY believe that malarkey?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's a Disc, a Disc I tell you ! And involves Elephants and a Turtle  :bow: :bow: ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 16, 2017, 02:01:37 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 15, 2017, 08:46:01 AM

It's a Disc, a Disc I tell you ! And involves Elephants and a Turtle  :bow: :bow: ;)

;D Sorry, it's round... but it's hollow... :rolleyes:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

I read Discworld stories for a while before I saw any pictures of the set up and I always assumed that the elephants stood tangentially to the circumfence and shuffled around in a circle on Great A'tuin's back.
Sir Terry and I disagreed on this although I think my way is better.  I wish I could have had a chance to debate it with him.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

I just made the "march of the elephants" connection.  ;D   

'Bout time to re-watch one of my favorite set of movies... The Gods Must be Crazy  (I/II) where in the first one, ol' boy walks to the "end of the Earth" and tosses the Coke bottle off.. 

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Going to knock out at least 2 builds today! Galaxy just needs transfers then the last coat of clear. I may or may not mask and spray down the wing block and nose with satin.. just depends on how glossy it all winds up being in the end.

Mitsubish will have a bit of work done to get the canopy to fit better.. there's a big chunk of plastic on the fuselage that I somehow missed back when I was doing the initial dry fitting... like.. 2 months ago or whatever.  ;D ;D    Then the little pieces left over like intakes and exhaust.

Vanquish has been hit with a mist of gloss and I will put another mist coat on then I'll start the transfers. I'm currently casting the new nozzles. I'm going about it a bit haphazard so I hope it works. Trying not to spend too much time on it... if they come out "reasonable" I'll be happy. There's an overall theme of "roughness" on this build and it'll be fine.

Now I'm going to paint a little on the Hercules then while it starts to dry start work on the Mitsu canopy... 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Mitsubishi is done!! It started out as an experiment which I gave up on because I kind of "fell in love" with it I guess, and didn't want to "hurt my baby." Corners were cut and I goofed up some stuff like the canopy work, and part of the "J" ... went somewhere....  etc. but it looks pretty snazzy sittin on the shelf!

Overcast today but even cloudy outside pictures are better than anything I can do inside the house. Pictures turned out well!

You know I think I like the bottom better than the top.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I'm done with this and it's GORGEOUS. I only think so because it's one of my very most favorite planes and paint jobs. Very biased. Not everyone will like it or think it's good but I made this one for ME.  ;D

Anyway.... I've been fighting my camera to get good pictures and it is not going well but I have some to share for now:

As you can see, I'm trying settings but still get the washed out effect... over exposure or what?? I'm useless at photography so I have no idea what settings to adjust.  ;D

Camera focuses and does better on one part than the other.... the flatter camo stuff shows well but the white is still "glaring."

Lost my daylight.... believe it or not applying 1/480 scale transfers even on a huge plane is a PAIN.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Man..  crazy.... I just wanted to stop by with a pic of how crazy these Trek ship builders get with the masking......  I'm not sure, but I think maybe stuff like this may be from a bought set (hence the different colors of tape) but by God I've seen multiple people actually sit around and cut regulare masking tape out with hobby knives and lovingy apply it, accounting for round shapes, angles, curves, and all the rest. I'm blown away!

By Ben Edge
-Sprues McDuck-