Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

The retro scheme on that F-16 is brilliant, Brad! Utterly brilliant! :bow: :bow:

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 16, 2018, 05:23:16 PM
I tried but couldn't actually find any reviews or build pages of this specific kit so I have no clue if it's a beast or builds up like a dream.

That's 'coz they were handwritten on papyrus.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 16, 2018, 09:55:29 PM

The retro scheme on that F-16 is brilliant, Brad! Utterly brilliant! :bow: :bow:

What Wombie said, it REALLY looks the business!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

This P40 is either a really huge model or that is a tiny cutting mat.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

I tried but couldn't actually find any reviews or build pages of this specific kit so I have no clue if it's a beast or builds up like a dream.

;D ;D ;D

Maybe I could be a pionneer and put one up. 

HA!! That might turn this into work. Scratch that.   :police: :police:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 16, 2018, 10:48:22 PM

What Wombie said, it REALLY looks the business!  :thumbsup:
If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em!!! I.E. if you can't get behind the plane get behind the paint job amiright?! One of my favorites. No one will ever convince me that the U.S. pre war stuff weren't having the best, most artistic, most great paint schemes around.  ;D

Quote from: zenrat on January 17, 2018, 12:57:24 AM
This P40 is either a really huge model or that is a tiny cutting mat.

;D ;D  Itty bitty!!  It's 4x8 America Units (inches). I think it's .... probably the most wee size of these you can get. It sure comes in handy for me here because I'l strapped for space. Funny thing is it sat around for over 20 years never being used but recently I've used it more and more as I need widths of tape that I don't have and need to cut my own. This thing is great!!
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Watching tele while I model so not moving very fast but making headway still the same!!

P-40 is together for the most part. Fitment, other than the tailplanes, was actually very good if one just takes a bit of pre-caution. I did alter one step, however. Instructions would have you put the upper wing halves onto the lower single piece wing section.. then glueing it to the fuselage but I find that just gluing on the bottom part, then deleting the alignment pins and putting the top halves on later makes for a much better fit at the wings. Plan is to do next to zero PRS on this one.

Also back to work on the glider... I did the best I could to sand away the travesty of the dry crackled poweder.... primer.. whatever mess. Kind of a pain on this because it's so small.. it's hard to "get in there." Also, if I sand too much I lose the really nice panel detail stuff on the wings and I don't want that!! With this in mind, I didn't go crazy on the sanding so some of the lower areas are still a bit rough but who knows... if it doesn't smooth out with paint maybe it'll make it "look cool" to have a different texture there.  :wacko: :wacko:

-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

I often use plastic scourer (ScotchBriteTM) pads for things like that because they don't damage the plastic as much & they usually work pretty well on the paint, if used wet.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Hmmm now there's a tip I like!!  I have some of those around here. I'm going to definitely try this.

For now the project is going to have to go in reverse as the latest round of primer coupled with the results of sanding after the last disaster have the panels all but wiped out on the upper surfaces of the wings. For the first time ever, I'm considering stripping the primer off with spirits to try again. I'd rather not lose that detail...    that said, I don't know much about how this primer reacts with styrene.. it could be that it's a bit "hot" and "melds" with the paint and stripping it off might not work. We'll see! I'll try a tiny little spot and see how it goes.

Poor lil glider....  :-\ ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

The glider got a pilot?
One would add some scale to it which would help me get over how small it is.  My poor overheated brain keeps telling it is 1/144.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 17, 2018, 05:32:49 PM
I often use plastic scourer (ScotchBriteTM) pads for things like that because they don't damage the plastic as much & they usually work pretty well on the paint, if used wet.

Me to, although I use the £Store stuff - us pensioners you know  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

No pilot with the kit. Here's the one from the Warhawk and a bang seat from a Raptor:

The pilot seems a tiny bit large in comparison to some of the 1/72 pilot guys I've seen. This whole Monogram plane seems "large" to me somehow. Seems "big" or something. Weeeird.

I'm glad you said something because I think I might have a seated pilot in my spares and this is the perfect thing to put him in if he's dress properly..  :mellow:

This thing is just itty bitty originally. Like... the whole main fuselage is the size of a VW bug (or less considering width):

Awwww...... is so cute!  :wub: :wub:

Hey how'd that get in there?!?!   ;D ;D   Fits in there like a glove, though!! Not sure the canopy would fit now but it's snug as a bug! I ought to put it in here and build a fancy high falutin pre-painted PE high tech glass cockpit. (yeah right!!  ;D ;D ;D )

Now kith.....   ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

I know what you mean with the different sized little men.
But its useful as you say.
I just dug out an undersized guy to sit in a Hasegawa FW 190 as it meant I could slide him into place after closing up the fuselage.
Fred

TheChronicOne

Well, I tried stripping the primer off the glider and it's working well enough but the fact is that a lot of it closest to the fuselage is sanded down so far that it's irrecoverable and even if I take all the primer off again, by time I get it put back on and do the painting it'll fill in what low spots are left and cover it up again. Solution??? To go in the opposite direction and just go ahead and sand it all smooth on top. It's racing glider what if anyway so.... they did it on purpose to make it glide faster!  ;D :thumbsup:

Now I'm washing the P-40 so I can prime it. One thing I don't like is the nose piece.... separate piece and there's no good or easy way to sand down the seam so I just sanded the top and the sides of the intake thingy and will let the rest ride. Maybe the RAF chopped the nose off and welded it back on or something?  :::shrug:::  ;D

-Sprues McDuck-