Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: TheChronicOne on February 11, 2018, 04:35:04 PM

As I predicted, however, there now exists a fitment issue at the front where it meets the windscreen. Oh well, I'll take what I can get and just work this thing from back to front and it'll all be good eventually.

What I would do is glue some styrene card to the bulkhead behind the canopy. Enough so that it moves the canopy forward to where it meets the windshield. If you file and sand it nicely to the fuselage contours, nobody is going to know --
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 12, 2018, 06:46:38 AM

If you file and sand it nicely to the fuselage contours, nobody is going to know --

Except us..............  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 12, 2018, 07:15:21 AM

If you file and sand it nicely to the fuselage contours, nobody is going to know --

Except us..............  ;D ;)

Are we going to tittle-tattle ---    ;D    :-X :-X :-X
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

DogfighterZen

What I would do is glue some styrene card to the bulkhead behind the canopy. Enough so that it moves the canopy forward to where it meets the windshield. If you file and sand it nicely to the fuselage contours, nobody is going to know --

Agree, now the angle is correct, that should work very well. Put the windscreen and canopy in the right spot to check the fit and work on the bulkhead/canopy join area like Kitnut said. Eliminates the problem of having the windscreen placed too far back.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

I've built a few of the Special Hobby Fokker D XXI's and it's an aircraft I like. Done a couple of real world ones and a few wif's, including a Dutch naval one.  Looking forward to yours
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Aye, the canopy... I had considered the various ways to fix it and will wind up likely doing some sort of combination. The fitment issue isn't one of merely not reaching; there are angle problems and height problems as well that need addressing even after I move the canopy forward to meet the windscreen. In short, I have gaps/misalignment in 3 separate 'dimensions' so I'll need to go into fixing them with some sort of plan that addresses all of it so that I'm not still messing with this in March.  I'll try to get some pics of this situation later.  ;D

That said, I'm thinking that I will do the bulkhead first like y'all said and get the canopy moved up to where it needs to be then I may sand down the area where the windscreen goes so it's down level and even with the canopy. At that point, I'll need to come back in and file the front of the canopy/back of the windscreen to fix the third and final gap. It's either this or I'm going to have to start over again filing the bejeebers out of the bottom of the canopy to get those angles back and then build up the sides of the cockpit in order to raise the canopy up to the same level as the windscreen. Of course, in doing so, it'll throw the alignment of the rear off again and I'll be filing that again... so... I hope the first option will work.     TL,DR: There's no simple fix on this bad boy. ;D ;D

--

"Build the Fokkers."  I like these little planes, too. I'm going to build this one as a companion to my D.XXIII. Both will be having the same paint jobs and will look good sitting next to each other. I have a second D.XXIII, however, that will be 100% whif-plane!!!  :laugh: :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Next phase of "let's make a cockpit" is under way! I had to use two slices but the bulkhead has been built up. I'll go ahead and get all this area puttied up then sanded down and looking sharp again before I proceed to the next "step" which will be to see how to get the canopy and wind screen to talk to each other.

Ain't pretty, but works!

Next up this thing is similar action being done to the wheels of all things. Half of the wheels are somewhat decent but when you flip them over, half of the tires aren't molded to the main gear and about 90% of it was gone on the nose gear. What I'm doing is just running beads of glue to build up the tires and when that is done I can prime all that stuff along with the rest of the fiddly bits. Then, I can paint them! It'll be nice to have all the little doors and gear finished up and on standby for final assembly.

I think now I'll do a little work on the Airliner then see what's next on the Raptor. I still need to PSR a few things around the main seams on the fuselage and then will be time to glue on the fins I guess. Getting close and closer to being able to start priming things.

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Gathered together all the odds and ends for the A-4 Liberty and glued them all into one FRANKENSPRUE to ease priming and painting:

It's alive?

Work on the plane itself is continuing. I've already done one round of filing on the new addition to the back of the cockpit. Then, I went in and glazed it up with glue. One more round of filing then some sanding and it will be good.

The airliner is on hold... some of the glue I used to put ballast in the nose has melted the plastic and created big sink marks up front that are still very soft. I topped the lead over with a lot of (more) weight (BBs) then a bunch of PVA so it's going to take a long while to dry up. I can do other things to it, like build the engines (all the way to completion, including paint and finish) but for now I'm putting it down. I'll let that stuff dry, fill it, then proceed.

A bit more work is done on the Raptor in the way of trimming more sprue, sanding the fins, and filling little seam & gaps that are here and there. Not a whole lot, but, decent progress all the same. Some of stuff I can prime along with the Frankensprue.  :thumbsup:

Trudging along... more to come soon!

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

You glued some parts ONTO the sprue????

Isn't plastic modelling all about doing the exact opposite???  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The parts were never off the sprue, I just turned 4 individual sprue into one single sprue because spraying one sprue, one time, is easier and quicker than spraying four seperate sprues four separate times.    ;) 
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

We'll let you off then. This time................  ;D

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

:wacko: :wacko:

Wooo!!!! I like to live life on THE EDGE.  ;D

That said, I think we may have disovered a new facet of the hobby.... DECONSTRUCTION. Take a built kit, dissasemble it and glue all teh parts back onto the sprues and make it into a kit again instead of a built piece.  ;D   What's funny... is... I GUARANTEE you some poor sap somewhere has attempted it. I'm surprised at NOTHING any more.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-