Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on March 22, 2018, 07:03:48 AM

"They" say it's actually rather normal and would be more natural if we slept about 4 hours, got up for a couple, then slept for another 3-4 hours.

Hmmm, effectively I tend to do that these days, except I don't actually get up in the gap as I read my current book while languishing in bed.

The result is that I almost always find myself getting up too late for a 'normal' day, but what's 'normal' these days?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I read up a lot on sleep when a friends daughter was infatuated with the idea of multiphasic sleep.  This is the bizarre concept of sleeping lots of times a day in 20 minute bursts.
She soon gave it up when she was constantly exhausted.
The "experts" I was reading were claiming that the mediterranean way was what we evolved to do.  I.e. having a siesta.
I did find some very usefull advice from Winston Churchill with regard to naps.  He said that instead of just lying on top of the bed while clothed you should undress and get into bed as you would get better sleep that way as your mind would think you were going to bed rather than just napping.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

It also doesn't help when your Old Man's Bladder gets you up every 30-60 minutes... and you're starting a new assignment the next (same) day...
I can function adequately that same day, but the day after? Lots of Coffee required.
Getting old isn't much fun sometimes...

Brad, that Fokker is coming along really nicely - watch the transfers though, we used the kit in a Build The Same Kit competition in the club and everyone had them splinter when they tried using them.
You might be better to try painting the orange bits? Possibly a bit late, though. Not too sure what to suggest, but I went for the standard tri-colour roundels scheme, and used a set of Czech ones with a spot of orange paint in the centres.

HTH

zenrat

Quote from: Rick Lowe on March 23, 2018, 03:21:21 AM
...watch the transfers though, we used the kit in a Build The Same Kit competition in the club and everyone had them splinter when they tried using them...

A coat of liquid decal film might save them.
Or, I have the Matchbox kit and if the decals in that are any good you can have them.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: zenrat on March 23, 2018, 03:35:28 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on March 23, 2018, 03:21:21 AM
...watch the transfers though, we used the kit in a Build The Same Kit competition in the club and everyone had them splinter when they tried using them...

A coat of liquid decal film might save them.
Or, I have the Matchbox kit and if the decals in that are any good you can have them.

Yup, either option would work.  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Just spray the decals with 2-3 coats of clear acrylic. That even works on the diabolical ancient Hasegawa decals.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Thanks everyone!

The transfers were already on the plane 2 days ago, though!  I did have one little bit of black come loose from one of the triangles and they were a bit fragile but they all made it on. It was the next day that they started to lift off (and shatter apart) so I re-wet them all and pressed them down then glossed them all in. I lost a couple flakes here in doing this but I don't care because it just looks like more weathering.  ;D   But, problem solved. They're all locked down under gloss coat now. Next I'll do some weathering and finally glue on the fiddly bits then I'll put yet another coat of clear on, just satin this time.

It looks pretty nice for a piece of C.R.A.P.  ;D

As far as the sleep stuff... I take Kit's approach during the winter and I can say I really like it! I managed it a few times this past winter. It's nice not having to "beat the heat" like in the summer where I try to start mowing my first lawns as close to 7AM as possible (I used to try for even earlier until I was aware of the city ordinance!)

Another thing, even when I DO need to be up, I rarely set an alarm. Oddly enough, the alarm going off eventually turns into a sound and even I loathe so I'd start naturally waking up before the alarm would go off to avoid the shock. I found that even when I need to wake up before sunrise that I was better just waking up with no alarm so I stopped using them years ago. Every once in awhile I'd sleep late, but for the most part it worked!
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

I used to use the 'bang your head on the pillow the number of times for your wake-up time' technique for years and years. My Dad said I'd make myself deaf doing that (he may have been right...) but it always worked for me until I got to around 50. Then it failed and I had to resort to an alarm, especially for early morning starts before silly distance drives to the customer.

The Fokker looks the BUSINESS though, I've always liked that orange tri-angle trindol, it's just SO bizarre!  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Yeah, those are the coolest!!  Pretty unique and thus very appealing for me.  They didn't use 'em very long did they?

The combo of those orange stuff and the plane camouflage is what made me build this one. I'm thinking about jumping right into the D.23 next because it gets the same stuff.  They ought to look pretty cool together. I did a little bit of research a few days ago one what OTHER stuff they had with this style but didn't get very far. I think the one thing I did find was a What If!  :o
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 23, 2018, 06:29:05 AM
I used to use the 'bang your head on the pillow the number of times for your wake-up time' technique for years and years. My Dad said I'd make myself deaf doing that (he may have been right...) but it always worked for me until I got to around 50. Then it failed and I had to resort to an alarm, especially for early morning starts before silly distance drives to the customer.

Bang the  head on the pillow trick still works for me.....touching wood. :angel:

Fokker's working out well Brad  :thumbsup: I think my favourite Dutch WWII markings are the latter NEIAF Dutch national flag markings.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

One out of the four cats we have works wonders for waking me up...anywhere between 230 and 330.  If I go back to sleep after feeding them, I use a wav file I have of the USS Ling's General Quarters/Action Stations bell on my phone's alarm.  Works like a charm every time.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

Once my body gets in synch then I generally wake up about 1/2 hour before the alarm goes off.  But I still use the alarm as I love that snoozing time.
Fred

Weaver

How do you do 7:26 am and 46 seconds?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 23, 2018, 06:12:56 AM
Just spray the decals with 2-3 coats of clear acrylic. That even works on the diabolical ancient Hasegawa decals.  :o

Good idea, I'll have to remember that.

Brad, that's come up really well, good job.  :thumbsup:

IIRC, the triangles were supposed to be Neutrality markings - though as the Germans decided to ignore that little detail, they would have worked well as high-vis 'Here I Am, Shoot Me!' visual aids.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on March 23, 2018, 06:25:18 PM

How do you do 7:26 am and 46 seconds?

I never had to be that precise, it was either 5, 6 or 7 usually.

Sometimes 2, 3 or 4...............  :banghead:

Regards
Kit