Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

None of my models have survived from back then, mind you it was over 50 years ago  ;)

However I do have an Austrian early 18th Century "Army" I painted up when I was 15 or so, so that is now celebrating it's Golden Jubilee  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Magnificent.  :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:   

I plan to keep all my stuff until a tornado comes through and hits the ol' Grand-Reset button.  :wacko: ;D ;D

So, plans for the day. I'm rained out so I have the entire day to be inside. I still have to go a couple places later but that won't take more than 45 minutes. Let's see if we can get this Yak-53 finished. I still need to put my painted tap strips on the canopy. I cut myself a little strip of paper to use as a measuring device. I can use it as a proxy along the framing to get precise lengths so that I'm not guessing at it then it's just a matter of slapping the stuff on. SOUNDS pretty easy, yeah?  ;D Other than that, I think I need to see what transfers from the sheet will work and what wont so that I can mask the stuff that needs it and paint the red on. I need to mask and paint some red on the bottoms of the wings anyway, I think. Going to have to mask the whole plane to keep overspray off the glorious white finish.

After that, I'd like to start sanding the windscreens on the 1-11. I need to get this thing done with because I have an exciting 737-200 build planned.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I have an idea!!!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A Civil Gunship. Bear with me...   

This is sort of in the same vein as water bomber fire fighting aircraft. So anyway, I was thinking of a For-Hire flying avalauncher gunship service for places like ski resorts or transportation authorities to fly around with this avalanche canon shooting artillery into the sides of mountains to clear avalanche prone areas. As far as I know, the canons (or whatever) used to launch avalauncher rounds into mountains are all fixed postions or truck mounted like technicals.  But, there are no Civvie AC-130 like airplanes flying around shooting these things out the side of the fuselage. But, damn, would it not be cool?  I could come up with a nifty name for the company/aircraft like "Avalancer" or some crap and build a 4 engine prop something something and cut holes in the side for an avalanche cannon or two.  :wacko: :wacko:

During the appropriate seasons this thing could fly from Ski Resort to Ski Resort to Mountain Pass, etc doing the whole avalanche mitigation thing from the air and making a ton of money!  :wacko: :wacko:

During the summer they can switch over to hauling cargo or something to keep things profitable.

I just need to figure out what airplane would be good for this. It's natural to gravitate toward a Hercules but there might be other suitable options as well.
-Sprues McDuck-

Steel Penguin

that is a wonderful idea. :thumbsup:
very swords into ploughshares
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

TheChronicOne

Thank you!! I think it has the potential to be a really neat build!  :lol:

In other news, paint work continues on the Yak-53 and for rattle can, it's not looking too shabby:

Not sure what's next but I need to touch up the interior where some white made it inside. I need to paint the exhausts correctly and a couple other things. I could probably get by with this paint as is instead of glossing it before I do the transfers, but, to play it safe, I'll gloss coat it anyway.

I looked at the transfers and some portions are too big, which is fine. I can trim them down and I think they'll work out great! I did hear through a build review that the transfers are a bit stiff and on portions of the wings where it curves, it doesn't want to stick too well... hopefully mine won't do this, but, if so, I have bought a bottle of Micro Sol and a bottle of Micro Set and when they arrive, I can put some on the offending transfers. Might not work too well if the transfers have been on a few days, though? If worse comes to worse I thin some PVA down real thin and use it to wash over the decals then I can clamp 'em down or something.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

$@%^$% $%&%&% #@%@%#&&  @#$^#$^#$^  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! #%#$^#  #^#$^#^    :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:  ;D

Well, I go to gloss this thing and parts and areas are CRAZING like mad.  :-\   If it were just one little area or something I might let it go but it's now in three areas and more could spring up as it dries. DAMN!  I've no choice, now, but to let this thing dry up for about a week then sand it back down and repaint and regloss these areas. I hate when stuff like this happens as there is no apparent reason for it. I tried not to, but perhaps I was a little too heavy in areas?? I dunno. I was trying to spray into the wind because it's windy today and I didn't have as much control as normal over what was reaching the model.

Oh well...  like I said, nothing I can do now but either throw in the trash (yeah right!!! You'll never see me "bin" a build!!! that's nonsense!  ;D) or....  fix it!!!  I'll never understand why people completely throw their work into the garbage when something like this happens instead of.... sanding it down and painting it again?? Oh well.  ;D 

No biggie, I'm in no hurry on this one but I WAS seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and it was going so well!  But, anyway, now I can work on something else so I'm not too torn up about it.  ;) ;) :lol:

I think I'll get to work on the B-58 now.  :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Duplicate post from my builds thread: 

As promised!  This is the first Spitfire I built back in 1991 or 1992? 93 maybe?  20-25 years ago, we'll just put it like that. I was 11, 12, 13....   something. I don't have no damn clue what mark it is or anything like that.... I didn't paint canopy framig, I didn't fix seams... I put the transfers right on top of matte acrylic paint (amazingly they seemed to have stayed on relatively well though!! ), etc etc 

Fully intact!! Even all five prop blades are still on it.  :lol:

Old meets new! 

This is the kit it came from:

I have the other three, as well. I've posted a picture of two of them I think? Maybe???  I dunno. I'll try to get them all togeth for pics though. I think one other is complete still but the others are missing stuff... 
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

I feel your pain re the crazing, had it happen a few times even when using a brush  :-\ I'm so paranoid now I watch a model dry for the first 5 mins or so now  :-X At least then if the crazing starts I can stick it under a running tap.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 30, 2018, 02:20:55 PM
$@%^$% $%&%&% #@%@%#&&  @#$^#$^#$^  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! #%#$^#  #^#$^#^    :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:  ;D

Well, I go to gloss this thing and parts and areas are CRAZING like mad.  :-\   If it were just one little area or something I might let it go but it's now in three areas and more could spring up as it dries. DAMN!  I've no choice, now, but to let this thing dry up for about a week then sand it back down and repaint and regloss these areas. I hate when stuff like this happens as there is no apparent reason for it. I tried not to, but perhaps I was a little too heavy in areas?? I dunno. I was trying to spray into the wind because it's windy today and I didn't have as much control as normal over what was reaching the model.

Oh well...  like I said, nothing I can do now but either throw in the trash (yeah right!!! You'll never see me "bin" a build!!! that's nonsense!  ;D) or....  fix it!!!  I'll never understand why people completely throw their work into the garbage when something like this happens instead of.... sanding it down and painting it again?? Oh well.  ;D 

No biggie, I'm in no hurry on this one but I WAS seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and it was going so well!  But, anyway, now I can work on something else so I'm not too torn up about it.  ;) ;) :lol:

I think I'll get to work on the B-58 now.  :mellow:

Sorry to hear this, Brad, but I've learned never to gloss/dull coat for at least 7 days after painting, especially when using rattle cans, as the surface often dries rapidly but the paint below can take quite some time to out-gas/cure, So, if you use a clear coat that dries faster than the paint, the paint it has gripped to gets torn as it shrinks (all paint shrinks as it dries), leaving you with the crazing effect.

Unfortunately painting is where patience really matters in this hobby (I struggle with it all the time).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Thanks, fellers!! That's where my problem is I guess. I only let the white paint dry about 3-4 days(give or take another because I painted it front to back a couple days apart...)   so that mixed with trying to paint in a flipping "wind tunnel" will be things to avoid from now on. Yeesh!! No biggie!! This should be a relatively easy fix... I won't even have to mask much... I'll be back on track with this one in no time but I can't sand on it for another week or more.   ;D

This type of malarkey is why it's always good to have multiple builds going because I can keep on chugging. It'll B-58 and ATR-72 time around this joint.  :mellow: ;D   (oh and F-52 and BAC 111 too I suppose  ;D   )

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

What to do!  I have two lawns today. One is a big one in one of the big rich peoples' neighborhoods and can take 3 hours or more sometimes and the other is small but has weeds that grow like crazy because they water 'em!  ;D :o ;D   So, I might be tired and not get much building done after but the plan is to work on the BAC-111 and B-58 primarily then I'll see how I feel about it all and decide if I want to tinker with the ATR 72 or F-52 later. In other news, I may have finally fixed the issues I've been having with the internet that have prevented me from online gaming so I'd like to test that out this evening so at some point I'll be hopping into some WWII vintage aircraft and trying to play Warthunder online to see if I even can.

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Patience grasshopper.  Let the Yak sit for a few days (or a week) and then try a gentle sand with a fine sanding sponge.  You should hopefully be able to smooth out the crazing and then put down a fresh top coat.
This happens to me more than I admit when I get carried away and go too heavy with the rattle can.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Ok!!  That's what I'll do then. I'm more than happy to let the lil feller sit a full week then get back to it.

I feel like I'm back where I was a couple years ago trying to learn and relearn this stuff because I gave up on using rattles cans and have been brush painting everything. Now that I'm back into the rattle cans (as a means for the entire paint job) I'm going to have to crawl, once again, before I walk. It's like starting over.  :banghead: 

This is good, though, because now that I'm more comfortable masking things I'll be wanting to use rattle cans more often ESPECIALLY for things like red, white, and yellow.  That red on the bottom went on in one shot (paint plus primer in one can) and it took less than five minutes whereas if I was brushing it would take like 6-8 frigging coats and take a couple hours. To hell with that noise, man.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I've worked on numerous things.... I did a bunch of intensive filing and sanding on the ATR 72 fuselage. We're getting closer but this beast still needs much more TLC.

Yak-53....  I looked at it after the clear had dried and settled and two of the three crazing places aren't looking so bad. There's also a few divets from my clamps on the wings. I don't care to fix that stuff, it looks fine. That said, I DID mask off the rear of the plane, sand, respray, and re-gloss the starboard tailplane to get rid of the nasty crazing. It worked out well and the plane looks nice! I'll decal it soon.

BAC 1-11 I filled the sunken windscreen and leveled it off then primed only to find that the starboard window was still a bit sunken in so I skim coated it with more filler stuff. I will sand it down agan and prime and it will probably be good to go.

Did a bunch of work on the Hustler, I'll needd to documetn that over in that thread , though. (found the damn pods.. )

Uhhh..       That's it I think.  ;D :lol:   I missed my morning update but I did get a lot of good work done this afternoon. I'm just having troubling recalling every bit right now. 

-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on August 03, 2018, 08:12:04 PM

Yak-53....  I looked at it after the clear had dried and settled and two of the three crazing places aren't looking so bad. There's also a few divets from my clamps on the wings. I don't care to fix that stuff, it looks fine. That said, I DID mask off the rear of the plane, sand, respray, and re-gloss the starboard tailplane to get rid of the nasty crazing. It worked out well and the plane looks nice! I'll decal it soon.

It is amazing sometimes you can walk away and come back a day or two later and it's not as bad as you originally thought. Applies to "real life" as well  :thumbsup: