Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

I just can't win sometimes!! OK, so, I used Microsol on some of the transfers on my Yak-53. I let it dry up of course, but after I sprayed the gloss clear on it, the places where I had applied Microsol turned yellow. Should I have let this sit a few days after Microsol before I glossed it or what???  :unsure: :unsure: I did spray pretty heavy, admittedly. Always a problem of mine when spraying clear. Could be that, too. I guess next time I will try mist coats and hope that solves the problem.

Also, the clear crazed a bit on top of some of the transfers, namely the anti-glare patch of black. It looks really cool, if you ask me, though, so I'm not worried about that but I guess this is another symptom of spraying my gloss clear too heavy.  :angry: ;D

BAH, I'm a bit flummoxed over the Yak right now so I put it up and work on the Hustler instead.  :wacko:  (I just noticed a wee bit more painting I need to do on it anyway)  ;D :::facepalm:::   :rolleyes: ;D 

So anyway... I'll be over in the RAF B-58 thread I guess.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

.. or not.

Here's some of the offending yellow muckity muck on my Yakkity Yak:

:o

Bunk. Oh well, at this late stage and this far into it it would either be monumentally difficult to do or just plain old "I don't want to" to fix it. As far as I'm concerned, it looks fine anyway until you're right up on it and that's not the situation most of the time as it will be sitting on a shelf.  :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

Lord_Voyager

EEEP!

TRY THIS BEFORE YOU TRY AGAIN...

Prop the plane up so that the sun can hit it for a few days... I taped my plane flat against it for 5 days and the yellow vanished.

-Hank

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Lord_Voyager on August 13, 2018, 08:00:43 AM
EEEP!

TRY THIS BEFORE YOU TRY AGAIN...

Prop the plane up so that the sun can hit it for a few days... I taped my plane flat against it for 5 days and the yellow vanished.

-Hank

Brilliant!! I'll definitely do that. Giver 'er a good 'ol UV bath.  :mellow: :lol:

Thanks!
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

But which one was it? MicroSOL or MicroSET? Don't know if it could cause a difference but the SOL is the stronger one... I've read about putting yellowed decals on the sun and it worked for those people but i'd never heard of doing it to a gloss coated model... Maybe it has that effect with Future, Klear and similar floor varnish products?
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Ooops, that's that dyslexia stuff again. I used Microsol. I'll likely keep mixing them up but I used it as per the directions. Microset first then came back and used them Microsol. Which, I still am in love with, mind.  ;D ;D

Anyway, the sun stuff sound reasonable because of "UV bleaching." It's at least worth a shot. I think it depends on what causes the coloring as to whether or not it will actually bleach away. I'm just sciencey enough to know the basics but I wouldn't know which chemicals and pigments it works on and which don't. Some stuff is formulated to be steadfast in UV while other stuff isn't.

EDIT:

One last thing...   I found the carpet monster!!! Apparently he doesn't like rattle can paint but it was too large to consume.  ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on August 13, 2018, 06:11:15 AM

It's the whole landing part that is tricky, even on something simple. It's more than just "slow down and drop the gear" so I'm pretty sure I'd auger in, too.  ;D :o :angel:  RIP Chronic.

Have any of y'all seen the one or two shows out there on the people that had to land planes after the pilot "clocks out?"  One was an ol' chap from the UK and another was about an 87 year old lady and they both managed to get with experts over the bird-dog and were able to successfully land.  Fascinating stuff.

Some years ago a teenage lad was given a flight in his Uncle's C172 out of Cardiff Airport about 50 miles from me.

The Uncle had a heart attack while airborne and the lad took over, contacted ATC and landed it safely, and his Uncle got to hospital and survived. The lad had never flown before but was an avid Flight Simulator enthusiast and said it was just like being at home flying on his PC!  :o ;D :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Landing is the trickiest part, especially with retractable u/c.

You have to get the speed low enough not to rip the gear off but fast enough not to drop into a stall when the gear goes down.

Once the gear's down you can play with the throttles a bit to get a feel for how she handles, then reduce power as you come in to the runway.

Reverse thrust is a mystery to me but I'm pretty sure most modern aircraft can be set to do it automatically on touchdown. If not, the stop is released & the throttle/controller can be moved to the correct position once the aircraft is on the ground.

Flaps are something you either try not to worry about or get a feel for.

NOTE: The above is assuming you're not getting assistance from the ground.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Did you wash the model after putting on the decals and before clearing?
You are supposed to do it to rinse off any remaining decal solvent.  I always forget but have not had any yellowing yet.
I have learned from experience that when clearing over decals it is best to sneak up on them with thin mist coats for the first two or three coats.

I get -sol and -set mixed up and thing of them as Red stuff and Blue stuff.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on August 14, 2018, 04:23:36 AM

I get -sol and -set mixed up and thing of them as Red stuff and Blue stuff.

You and me both
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Did not wash after I did decals. I'll give that a go next time along with not dumping buckets of clear on at a time. I had no idea!  Thank you.  Won't be long and I'll be trying all my new knowledge out on the lil BAC 111.

Landing....... here's one: we know for a fact that common folk can be coached and talked down for a succesful landing but I wonder if anyone could ever be talked into a successful carrier trap. . . . .. . .        Not only that but I wonder what possible type of situation could arise for this to even occur. I don't think it would ever happen in a fighter... but would have to happen on something like an E-2 Hawkeye where all the qualified pilots were somehow killed but there's a radar operator on board or something with no flying experience and he has to try to land the plane on the carrier.

(I KNOW, I KNOW, in this situation literally everyone would probably advise this person to just land in the water and never risk damaging a carrier if they couldn't simply bail out, but this is whif-world, damnit!   ;D ;D ;D ;D  ) 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

So, what the hell is goin on today?!?!?  Hopefully I can finally sand on my BAC-111! I keep getting within a day or two of being finished only to lose a week or more because of some malfunction. Sheesh... I started this one to do an easy airliner then decided I wanted to "do it right" and now look.  ;D  Anyway, I'm kind of eager to get started on the next airliner which sill be a Saudia 737-200.  :mellow:

I will do more work on the B-58. It's starting to go together pretty quickly now. I'm not going to hang anything from it which will save a bunch of time. Time to get the fuselage halves together.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on August 14, 2018, 07:22:20 AM
Did not wash after I did decals. I'll give that a go next time along with not dumping buckets of clear on at a time. I had no idea!  Thank you.  Won't be long and I'll be trying all my new knowledge out on the lil BAC 111.

Landing....... here's one: we know for a fact that common folk can be coached and talked down for a succesful landing but I wonder if anyone could ever be talked into a successful carrier trap. . . . .. . .        Not only that but I wonder what possible type of situation could arise for this to even occur. I don't think it would ever happen in a fighter... but would have to happen on something like an E-2 Hawkeye where all the qualified pilots were somehow killed but there's a radar operator on board or something with no flying experience and he has to try to land the plane on the carrier.

(I KNOW, I KNOW, in this situation literally everyone would probably advise this person to just land in the water and never risk damaging a carrier if they couldn't simply bail out, but this is whif-world, damnit!   ;D ;D ;D ;D  ) 

I always mean to wash after decalling to rinse off the Blue &/or Red stuff but I am ALWAYS so keen to press on that I forget.  I think I have remembered once since I started using decal solvents.  So, once in 5 years?

As far as talking someone down onto a carrier I suspect that the risk of damage to the carrier outweighs losing the aircraft and the risks of the crew ejecting.  Even if it was a COD aircraft carrying passengers without chutes I think they would ditch it.
In fact I can imagine a scenario where the aircraft is shot down because the person flying it insists on trying a landing on the carrier.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

That's what I was thinking. Hmmm... how bout an alternative? This would be something Mythbusters could do if they were still going. What they could do is try it all on a simulator. In fact, I think they did just that for regular planes on regular runways. It would be a free PR boon for the NAVY and nothing gets damaged.  :wacko:
-Sprues McDuck-