Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Looks like a block of  flats being carried by a barge.

These present day cruise liners are just SO ugly!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 28, 2018, 03:17:27 AM

These present day cruise liners are just SO ugly!

Have to agree Kit, but then they just are floating hotels.

I'm lucky enough to have traveled on both the modern type and the more traditional, and I know which I prefer. Especially in anything like a "heavy" sea.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Dayumn... yeah I guess whifworld DOES had its limitations after all.  ;D   

Ain't no amount of wings can make that into an airplane.  ;D

Oddly enough, one of my favorite space ships (since we're talking sci fi show and building-ships this is a perfect tie-in) are the series Alliance cruisers on Firefly. A space ship that is essentialy an office building complex. It flies around space upright.  ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I forgot to do my morning update! Oh well. Doesn't matter I guess.  ;D

UHhhh.... let's see here.... I put the Yak back outside to soak up some more sunlight. I figure I'll bring it in in about 4 hours. By then the roof line will cast a shadow that will cover it and that should be plenty of time considering how well just 3 hours worked. Only thing left is to glue on the landing gear, props, and canopy then put the tape strips on. I had to re-paint those, by the way, from spilling coffee on them and just them collecting a bit of grime from sitting here for ... like... whatever, damn near a month or more!  ;D 

Going to glue the wings on to the ATR-72. Tailplanes as well. The main wings will need a ton of work on, no clue on the tail planes as I haven't even clipped them out, dry fitted, or anything. I MIGHT start on the engines.

Otherwise it will be B-58 Hustler. I actually don't know where I stand with it. It could be ready for painting or I might need to do some more sanding and the like. We'll see.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

As usual not as much work done as I'd like but I'm worn our from work.

Buuuut... I've brought the Yak in and it looks pretty good!! I've had to paint some more on the cockpit but I finished that and glued the canopy on. Now I need to apply the tape. I'll do that in the next session as now it's suddenly late and I've ate up all my time working on the ATR-72.

Speaking of... it's starting to be in really good shape, as far as the overall plane itself is concerned. I clipped out and cleaned up the taleplanes and glued those on. Wow! Very excellent fitment, here! Better than many maintstream injection kits. Fantastic. I'm glad I won't have to devote any PSR to them because it's always iffy working on something like that that may snap off.

Ran a little more glue through the main wing roots to strengthen those and lessen the gap. I may do one more pass then it's time for the filler. This will all be done another day. As far as I can tell, the PSR work is good to go, too. I think next it will be time to start trying to get the engines on. Everything up to the propeller blades; hopefully I can save those for later. After that, nothing is left aside from fiddle bits so I will be able to prime it and start fretting over the paint job. I know it's mainly white, but there's always the wings which are grey and stuff (why the hell is it they don't paint the wings like the rest of the plane or whatever????  I think they look a lot better being a different color, but it's more WORK!!!  ;D ;D ;D  ) then I also thing there may be some NMF that goes on it in places... or... something.   Anyway, here it is for now:

Nothing has been done to anything else. Probably won't be, either. I'm contemplating some video games, a hobby I've all but abandoned for various reasons, or just sitting here watching Saving Private Ryan for the 10th time.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Finally killed one that won't die...   

Amodel 1/72 scale Yak-53!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't recall the letters and stuff for it but these were part of the Soviet Union's equivalent of the US's Civil Air Patrol. It's pretty fascinating, really. I'd regale you all if I wasn't feeling so lazy. Go look it up or something if you like. I didn't fine too much info as I looked but what I did find was pretty neat.
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

I can never see one of those Yaks without expect8ing it to do a flick roll and pass in the opposite direction inverted and trailing smoke.  ;D

Oh yes, and sounding like a Harvard too (A T-6 to those in the west.....)  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Thanks!!  Might be awhile before I do another Amodel kit.   ;D   Overall conclusion is that it wasn't too bad for short run but it was the nicest of the 3-4 I have so no doubt older offerings will be more fraught with danger. I don't think I've been spoiled enough by good kits to start complaining about the less than stellar ones yet. I mean.. I'm not beyond it I've many nasty things to say about new boxing of the old old Airfix F-5, for instance, but it always seems so popular in some circles to throw entire companies under the bus for their efforts but I think they seem to miss the point. Not everyone can go out and buy the million dollar injection machine and spend top dollar on all the finest, leading edge, state of the art technology so if you want some of these more obscure subjects you're going to have to deal with some rough edges. It strikes me that these same people that thrive on complaining would also be the first to whine about the lack of subject matter being produced by main stream companies. There's just no pleasing some people. SO ANYWAY, I better wrap this up before is balloons into a diatribe.  ;D ;D

Tomorrow!! More work on ridiculous short run shenanigans! Now THIS one takes mountains of effort but it's all worth it because where the hell else am I going to get an ATR-72 in American Eagle livery?! Nowhere! Happy to deal with the all shenanigans because in the end I'm going to have what a lot of others don't. So, I'd like to get the wing roots PSRed then I'm going to start to work on the engines. I've only "just" looked at them and they look funny to me. There's a flat part on the wings where it would seem they go but the shape of the engine nacelles has them wrapping around and conforming to the wing so I don't know WHAT the hell is going on there but I'll need to figure it out. Hopefully won't take long then I can glue them on and do whatever filling is necessary then I can prime it and start thinking about the infernal tiny parts like prop blades, gear, and other small pieces. 

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Yup, I concur with yesterday-self and will be wanting to work on the ATR-72 today. I was going to pick up some yellow paint to work on the BAC-111 today but I can't afford it. The past 4-5 weeks have been hell on my pocket book. Paid out so much on bills and equipment. Can't even afford a $3 can of paint. Well, I need to buy groceries!! I can't eat paint. Well, I could, but it won't do me any favors.

So, ATR-72 will have the engines being built while the wing roots are PSRed. Shouldn't take long on the PSR stuff so hopefully the engines go well and I can have them on and the plane primed by the end of the day!!!  This build could start going by rapidly now. I looked at the paint scheme and I think the entire fuselage is to be painted one single color that will help things along. Not sure what I'll need to do on the wings. They're always a different color for some reason and will likely have stuff like de-icer stuff needing yet another color.

I'll leave it at that for now. Who knows, though. I might find time to work on the little fire truck or something.  :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

I've said "no more A Models" but the Yak 28 wasn't too bad in the end and who else does a 1/72 DH-60?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

That's one of the ones I've been wanting. Hell, I could get a ton of them. They have such cool subjects! They even have airliners and stuff. lol   I guess it all comes down to how bad do you want it...   Like this ATR I'm working on. It's insane, I wouldn't put all this effort into it if it were a B-17 or something I could easily get from some other company. The fact that it is a holy grail makes all the extra effort much more tolerable.

Speaking of, props and spinners together and engine nacelles are together as well. I've done a bunch of clean up work already but more will need done. Not too much on the props, but the nacelles will need a bit of filler and probably some adjustment after dry fitting to the wings.

I've had enough of this fun for one day, however. Stuff needs to dry anyway and I don't feel like messing with the gear. BAC 111 is on hold for paint so that leaves the Hustler, the rest of the airport trucks, and the F-52. Hustler is fine to sit around awhile, I'm at the point now where I can start painting it and I'd rather start that another day so I guess I'll check in on the F-52. If it befuddles me again I'll try the fire truck maybe. Or something... hell I kind of don't know what I want to do.  :unsure: ;D  Almost time to start a new one, which will be a 737-200.

-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

OK, share the secret - how on earth do you keep your cutting mat so clean ?  ;)

I've noticed your not the only member who seems to have the secret ; mine is absolutely horrendous  :banghead: