Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

They all have TWO cutting mats Chris, one to do the real work on and one for pics.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I have two cutting mats.  Both disgusting and covered in detritus.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Mine is relatively new. I've been using it less than a year. It sat idle for 25 years until I started cutting things a lot more. Now I can't be without it. It's actually dirtying up finally, but it's harder to tell unless the light hits it right. I need to take a magic eraser to it. But, the secret is simple... I've only just started using it recently.  ;D 

-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 01, 2018, 03:15:11 AM
They all have TWO cutting mats Chris, one to do the real work on and one for pics.  ;D ;)

Now why didn't I think of that ?  ;D

I've got a couple of small one's which I use for cutting transfers and masking tape, and they are both clean. My main one is an A2 one and that is absolutely covered in paint, glue and gord' knows what else  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

I'd like a larger sized one that would cover a good portion of my desk top here..... and then, put a nice piece of bevelled plate glass on top. Easy clean up, would look good for pictures, and having the glass-smooth flat surface to work on would be nice. Then, when I actually do any cutting I can do it on top of the glass (although I'd not do this if I need anything too accurate as far as measurments go or just bring out my little mat.

I'm working a little bit on the Hustler but I think I'm going to get back to my F-52 at least for a little while. Early in the day so I might be able to grasp what the hell is actually going on with this confusing thing.

Otherwise, I'm starting a new project, a 737-200.

Random picture of my newly acquirred Gannet:

;D ;D ;D

I said on Facebook that I might turn the interior into a bathtub, paint the "surface" blue like water and put a rubber ducky in there.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Time for Chronic Break and to switch gears. I've finally made enough progress on all current builds and now including the one neglected on, the F-52.

This thing had been kicking my arse in the way of just being overwhelmingly confusing, complicated, foreign (it's not like normal planes), and having instructions in Japanese. I'm really pleased, though. I started on it right after lunch and did a lot of work to it. I stopped on it about 6:45, so that's not bad as a chunk of hours devoted to it. I glued a ton of stuff... turned maybe 50 individual parts into about 20. I've also made a pile of stuff that is to be primed and painted separately/before the rest. Things like interior parts.. cockpit stuff and engine guts, etc. This thing is still confusing as hell though and it was becoming more so all of a sudden so it's been boxed back up.

I'd like to do some more to it in a couple days. I will finish the organizing of parts and gluing sub assemblies together until I can't any more. At that point I'll need to get the cockpit stuff painted and see if I need to add any weight then I can start trying to put the fuselage together. After that comes the inlets and... other stuff...   ;D

Next up, I'm going to look at my 737-200. I've done one major thing already: test the transfers. They're the same company and era as the ones I just had shatter into a million pieces so I wanted to get that problem out of the way before I even open the damn box.  ;D  Glorious success; the transfers are not only viable but they are very nice to work with! I had mentioned prior that I went from one extreme to the other after the shattering cheatline when I used the windshield decal that took a crowbar to get off the sheet.... well, these are like Goldilocks .... they're just right.... no shatter, and come off the backing paper nice and easy and stay solid enough to be handled. With that out the way, the build is a confirmed "go."!     :lol: :lol: 

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Could someone recommend me a good putty to use? Going to fill these windows in so I'm not wanting my glazing putty or cheap testors stuff. Water/spirits soluble doesn't matter I guess...  I just want something easy and relatively non toxic. Milliput... Tamyia white or green..something?   uhhhh... I don't know which direction to go....   :unsure:
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

I like Aves Apoxy Sculpt; water soluble, non-toxic, behaves much like styrene when cured & a little goes a long way.

It doesn't "bite" into the plastic the way some spirits-based putties do, so you are best advised to either put a strip of styrene/something behind the windows (so it spreads behind the holes) or fill the windows prior to putting the halves together.

On a flat surface, if you rough it up with some coarse sandpaper it grips pretty well.

Also, you can smooth it out so only a little sanding is required using just some water & your finger or putty knife (or similar).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Thanks, Combat Wombat.

Man, I wish this was an early boxing that had the window strips. I could glue them in nice and solid and just pack the gaps around the windows but this one is just open air.

I have nothing better, so plan to use sprue rod as backing behind the windows. It being round has the benefit of being strong (whereas thin flat stuff might flex more) but then again I'll have extra space to fill around the edges where it curves. I'll dump a fair amount of regular ol' glue in there to sort of fill a little and provide a extra "gumption" but after that it's all on the putty.

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 02, 2018, 08:38:17 AM

;D ;D ;D

I said on Facebook that I might turn the interior into a bathtub, paint the "surface" blue like water and put a rubber ducky in there.

My thoughts as soon as I saw that were "Pilot to navigator, well I don't know where the duck is !"  ;D

As for putty ? I use various types but for most normal work I find Squadron's Green Stuff very good. It's also obviously by a US company so might be easier for you to get ? It also cleans up with Isopropyl Alcohol which is useful.

Perfect Plastic Putty is very good for small areas that need filling, wing roots etc as you can smooth and clean it with a finger and water. However it's not so great, and probably not intended for, more structural problems. Also not sure how easy it would be for you to get.

If you are going to use sprue on the windows why not get some of the same or similar diametre as the window, insert it from the inside, cut off, and apply filler and smooth out ?

Chris

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

;D   Good stuff, guys. I got a kick out that when I saw it. I love rescuing these kits, couldn't beat the price! Not sure how in the hell I'm supposed to make this look good, however. I'll perhaps get some Future and tint the windows.

Man, that's a good idea, Chris. I would do that...but the windows are too wee. To give an idea, even toothpicks/cocktails sticks won't fit inside. And they call 1/72 Braille Scale.  ;D  Anyway, I didn't even realize at first myself until I glued the rod on the back side. Won't be able to cram anything into them, but this also means that the putty won't have so much work to do and will yield a better result. I just need to GET some. I'm starting to have problems getting things. Bill and grocieries are eating me alive!! I need my garbage check. lol   

It'll probably be here tomorrow anyway. I think drop into the hobby store anyway just for the hell of it. It's going to be a rainy day and I love getting out and about on days like that because less other people do.  ;D 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

You know, I just had a thought....  why NOT incorporate a little wood? I was thinking, that I could force the toothpicks through the windows. It'll obviosuly bore out the windows and they won't be square any more but who cares because it's all being filled in anyway! Then, there would be very little space left to fill. Only problem would be adhesion, perhaps, but it seems like it could work in theory. Might be hell on the first couple piece of sandpaper but could work.  ;D :o   Problem is, it's too late unless I can pry the sprue off the inside.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 03, 2018, 06:49:57 AM

If you are going to use sprue on the windows why not get some of the same or similar diametre as the window, insert it from the inside, cut off, and apply filler and smooth out ?

They're oval-ish rather than round sadly.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Mine are square! This is the 737 now, the BAC is on hold.  ;D  Man, I hope my garbage check arrives today. I need more than just yellow paint!

....And very wee. Like I said, I COULD pust a toothpick through but it would take some elbow grease and it would bore out the windows. It would probably work really well to plug the holes but, indeed, the styrene I've already glued behind the windows is firmly attached and won't come back off without risking me tearing something up.

It's back to work on it today, in fact. I'll start working on getting the windows filled in.

Also be working on the F-52 Ultra Hornet again. Made a lot of progress the other day and it would be a shame to lose my momentum.
-Sprues McDuck-