Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

I just got chased out of my own thread over in the RAF 100 GB because I messed something up somehow..  (no person chased me off, it was the build itself lol) 

After last coat of clear, two roundel transfers that are on the top of the wings wound up with a texture as if I had added salt to them to do salt chipping. It didn't happen to any of the other transfers and they were even the same brand, from KP, although from different sheets. I think these transfers might just have been bad or perhaps printed in a slightly different way or with slightyl different stuff that wouldn't get along with my clear...     :unsure:

It's random problems like this that occur with seemingly no rhyme or reason that befuddle me. Every time I think I'm starting to get better at this hobby, something like this happens and it becomes a mystery.

Anyone have this happen to them and also figure out WHY?
-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

Was the decal very old? I find I have the most problems with old sheets.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 28, 2018, 07:09:10 PM
It's random problems like this that occur with seemingly no rhyme or reason that befuddle me. Every time I think I'm starting to get better at this hobby, something like this happens and it becomes a mystery.

Anyone have this happen to them and also figure out WHY?

Just as I think I'm getting on top of the hobby, this type of thing happens to me as well.  :banghead: It's the same as when Roman Emperor's would have had the slave standing behind them and muttering "remember you are human" into their ears  ;)

Quote from: kerick on September 29, 2018, 01:26:34 AM
Was the decal very old? I find I have the most problems with old sheets.

I'm still using some "His Air Dec" and "Almark" sheets that I swear I would have got back in the late 60's ? However they would have been kept in a fairly dark place for all these years. They are still usable and yet other far more recent purchases can be problematical after just a few years.

I must admit I've had some paints react very strangely with different varnishes, but not (touching all the wood going) as yet transfers. Mind you I always give them a coat of Klear/Future now just in case.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Very recent sheets. All from later releases of KP kits. 2000's and newer stuff. So weird. The other KP stuff from same era, although on different sheets, worked just fine. It's weird.... the clear was sort of beading up on the transfers like rain would on a windshield treated with Rain-X. As if the transfers were hydrophobic and the clear was water. So strange!
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I will attempt, once more, to put the final nails into the B-58 Build. At this point, it's a matter of trying to fix them decals, gluing on the last two engines, gluing on and painting the antenna thing, and finishing removing the masking. All pretty simple stuff, really.

Otherwise... the BAC-111?  For about the 80th time (I'll never put gear and fiddly bits on early in a build again, I wanted to try it this time to see if I could manage it but uhhh.... nah playa.... ) the gear are busted off. Of all things, my DOOR blew over and smashed down onto one of my piles of kits and sometimes I stick my models, finished or in progress both, on top of a stack so the door smashed my BAC 111 and knocked the damn gear off. 2 out of three.  ;D   So I'll glue them back on then it's time to sand it and spray another coat of appliance white on. I think at that point I'd rather it dry up at least a couple days before I start masking it to do things like the cheatline and the NMF parts.

Time to get the 737-200 going.

Time to get back to the ATR-72. I think all I need to do is apply a little filler to a couple of the doors and then sand off some I already put on there a couple weeks ago. Might be able to paint it appliance white today! That would be great because as far as I can tell, that's all I need to do. The whole thing, aside maybe from the wings, is white so I won't have much work to do masking and all that.

I'll leave it at that for now..
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 29, 2018, 06:27:46 AM
Very recent sheets. All from later releases of KP kits. 2000's and newer stuff. So weird. The other KP stuff from same era, although on different sheets, worked just fine.

Yup, sometimes we just have to shake our heads, mutter something about it being "one of those things" and get on with it  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Yeah!! No rhyme or reason to it... "stuff happens!" Without doing literal scientific analysis there's really no telling so....  ::SHRUG:::

I decided to just go with it. It's done now and looks just fine. Dare I say, it turned out better than I thought it would in many respects, although, as I mentioned here or in the thread for it, I cut a lot of corners and left some mistakes be. I'm trying the whole "well, you learned a little bit, apply it to the next one" instead of getting bogged down for weeks or months trying to perfect every little thing. Good Lord, I have so much stuff I want to build, it almost wouldn't seem fair anyway!!!

For anyone that might not have seen this yet, find my thread in the "Aircraft - Pictures" forum and in the actually RAF Group Build forum where the build page is at. I took a fair amount of pictures, and they all turned out pretty damn good this time, even in overcast weather.  :thumbsup:

For now, I've worked myself into a corner, of sorts. With my Vulture/Hustler off doing the Mach Loop in Wales, I've picked back up working on the BAC-111 and the ATR-72. Sanded the BAC-111 down there it crazed. It only crazed up on the crown of the roof so it was easy to sand it down then I sprayed another coat of appliance epoxy on it and...........  ....    it worked!!! It turned out great. Aside from snapping off the gear again, this is caught back up. I have to let it sit and dry for a few days before the next step, however.

The ATR-72 had more filler applied to take care of the engraved door lines. I did that then went over the entire thing with sanding. I then primed it. The repairs I did on the doors worked out great. However, the stuff I did up front by the nose is still needing sanding. There were little tiny holes that needed filling so I did that with a few coats of acrylic paint but when I sanded, I did a less than stellar job and there are "ripples." So.... one more round of sanding followed by a bit more primer then I think it will finally be ready.

I even picked up work again on the 737-200! I started filing/sanding down where I filled in the windows. Problem is, after I got into it, the glue down in the interior (or "middle") is still not fully cured. I really went to town with the sprue and glue on this... I wanted to fill the HELL out them windows so no shrinkage occurs later. Well, here are. It's like concrete, the middle cures/dries last. So, I had to stop and will need to let that stuff dry up some more before I get back to filing.

So there's 3 projects I can't touch for a few days which leaves the Fire Truck and the F-52. I don't want to work on either of them so I'm going to go play video games instead. Most likely that will get tiresome after a couple hours and I'll come back to work on the fire truck.

Random picture of couple books I recently picked up:

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

The thought of a B-58 doing the Mach Loop is totally MIND BLOWING! F-15s and Tornados are pretty loud doing The Loop, but four afterburning J-79s? OUCH!  :o :o :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

;D ;D ;D   I would pay real money to experience it or even see film of it. Fantasy-land here. But... wow, could you imagine....  :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:   

Sometimes I just pull up youtube, via Playstation4, onto my big TV and watch Mach Loop videos. (and other similar ones).  One of my favorites though is an actual ride-along view from in the cockpit. Can't remember what they were flying but it was a Eurofigther, Rafale, Typhoon, something like that.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

There's quite a few Tornado cockpit ride vids along The Loop, one from the back seat which is REALLY scary and you can't see where it's going next!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Whew! Finally caught up with this thread... teach me to leave it so long!  :rolleyes:

The Sea Eagle turned out great, as did the Hustler. Nice work!

As to the Yak - nice work there, too.
I can see that as something similar to the Piper the DEA? uses to spray illegal crops...  of course, "In Glorious Soviet Russia have no Illegal substances, Capitalist Running Dog!" ;D

Keep at the 1-11 and the ATR, you've come too far to give up now! :thumbsup:

TheChronicOne

Thanks, Rick!!! I forgot to take more pictures of the Yak. For all the problems with bunk paint and stuff it turned out quite well. It could have been better but I'm not stripping it down and starting over, for sure. I'm just not using that white rattle can paint any longer.

SEA EAGLE might be my favorite build ever. It's between it and the Pre-War F-16. Hustler turned out great despite a couple dozens mistakes and cut corners. Proof of concept that not getting bogged down for needless months still produces nice results. The very next day I was talking about it, the NY Times put out an article about it....  "mediocrity." 

Back to work on the others today. I had to take a few days break. Mood was ruined one day then I just decided to not work on anything for about a week and get caught up with some other hobbies.

Today, however, I have a number of movies chosen to watch and will work on models all day long after I get done with my work, chores, and errands. That said, these work and errands are stacked up today. I'm trying to mow my yard here at Chronic Manor and it usually takes about 6 hours. I also have 3-4 stores to go to, the bank, gas station, and a bunch of other places including chasing down bill payments from my customers. Might get rained out today, though..... in which case.. more time for models but if no rain out, I might be able to start work around... ohhh...  I dunno, noon?  I'm going to try to start mowing at 6AM. Sun doesn't come up for another half hour but I can turn on lights and work in those areas until it comes up. Woke up at 2am today so I can get my trash picking up done and hit 2-3 stores and make it back home by 6AM to start mowing. Hopefully be done by noon but I usually take a few breaks when I work on my own yard.

Chasing down money... sheesh, go figure.... the bill payment from my largest contract hasn't been late in months and months... since way back last Spring or winter but, IN TYPICAL FASHION, the first month I get on a payment plan that has a due-by date, the friggin check is late. I gave myself 2 weeks of wiggle room but now here it is the 6th, on a weekend, I'll be lucky to have it by the 8th and that is if they didn't forget about it. Due date on MY bill is the 15th so I'll barely have any time to get the check, turn around and write me own, then mail it off!!   $%&%*$%^%$^&%$&  why does it always go like this?! Don't need it for a damn thing all year and it's on time or even early, the VERY FIRST TIME I actually need it on time, it's late...    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But anyway, that's the plan....  at some point back to work on the BAC 111 and the ATR-72.  lol   The other two builds can wait I guess.
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 06, 2018, 01:23:52 AM
why does it always go like this?! Don't need it for a damn thing all year and it's on time or even early, the VERY FIRST TIME I actually need it on time, it's late...   

Because somewhere there is a little man all in black wearing a cowl pulled over his face, sitting in front of a fire, wringing his hands and chuckling to himself  :banghead: It is amazing how often things like this happen unfortunately, hope things work out.

TheChronicOne

Thanks, bud!!!  If memory serves, I didn't send the bill last month until the 7th so I can't say anything until after the 7th of this month. That's tomorrow, though, so if the check isn't here Monday, the 8th, I'll be on the bird dog to kick that process into gear. Usually they pay close to the first on the month regardless of when I sent the bill so that's why I'm a bit worried. Hell, it's not just paying MY bill by the 15th, I also need fuel, I need grocieries, I need some beer, etc.   ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Yeah, it's called 'The Bank of the Customer', or sumpin' similar.

Course, that's how all these rich people/companies stay that way... making you wait for your money.

They're quick enough to chase you for a few bucks, though... :rolleyes: