Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

I've had several projects lately where the paint job has given me fits. Usually involves crazed paint. Sometimes involving a different paint over another or sometimes a second coat of the same paint. Just random madness. Makes a guy want to scream.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

I've only had the crazed paint business once, and that was with my Canberra MR23.

The 'crazy paving' was limited to the white area only, but I used exactly the same method as I'd always used for painting white. It happened about 9-12 months after I'd finished it, but it hasn't got any worse since then. very odd.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I've had a few on model cars.
Always due to putting lacquer over enamel that hadn't completely gassed out.
It's soul destroying when you've spent hours working on a fancy masked and faded custom paint job only to make a mistake like that.  Sometimes it was a brain fart but others I blame on paint manufacturers not clearly stating what their product is.

Worst was a Monogram Hurst Hairy Olds drag car.  Gold and black enamel paint job.  Fully decaled and then for some reason I hit it with Tamiya TS clear.
Instant crackle and peel from the black paint so it went straight in to the stripping tank in a fit of anger.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to get replacement decals to have another go.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

I think the lacquer vs enamel issue has been my problem a few times. I've used hardware store spray cans for basic colors like black, white or silver and always tried to make sure I bought enamel. But, I believe you are right when you say the contents may not described correctly. I'm going to stick with model paints from now on. It will be just a matter of separating acrylics from the enamels. That will a lot easier.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

I think one of the problems we have nowadays is that some of the newer brands of paints coming out, whilst being great to use, are not actually sure where they lie in the acrylic/enamel/lacquer universe themselves ? There appear to be some new formulations which have combined some of the characteristics of all the types ?

We need a chemist....... Simon, Mr Penguin where are you ?  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Today I will finish painting the ATR-72 with the appliance epoxy then I'll let it dry a few days before I do transfers then I'll let it dry a couple weeks before I seal them in. I'm not taking any chances any more. I guess this will slow down the build pace every time I use rattle cans but ... what else can one do?!

After that, I really need to work on the landing gear. This is going to be the last bit of tedium to work on on this build so it will be nice to get it out of the way even if I don't glue any of it on yet.

Otherwise, I find myself with 2 builds remaining. The F-52 which I've been eager to get back and the 737-200 which still needs big time sanding and filling work where I went nuclear on the windows.

I might start thinking about starting a new build. Something for the racing GB perhaps.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

This bright white is giving my camera fits so I'll try again in a bit after monkeying with the settings. BUT, here's one that isn't half bad and gets the point across of the livery (which is my invention, thank you very much and I rather like it!!) and the overall fact that it is on a BAC 111. In these regards I'm happy with it and I'm not even upset about the crazing any more.

And.. it's definitely a whif!  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

That does look pretty darn good, and very Air California too, with that sunburst nose trim.

Love it!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TheChronicOne

Thanks y'all!!

I was just thinking about all the different type of paint on this thing...  one thing I like about the airliners is that even boring ones have lots of color variation. The wings themselves are always 2 or 3 colors then the fuselage and stripes and stuff and next thing you know, there's 10 different colors on there. On mine, in getting all the different colors together, I used quite a few different TYPES of paint: it has sprayed on enamel, sprayed on epoxy paint, sprayed on lacquer, brushed on enamel, and brushed on acrylic. 5 different "kinds" of paint here. It's all -paint-, but I think that still qualifies for "mixed-media."  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Well, I was sort of planning on having a bunch of free time today but I've already filled up the schedule with lawns. Here it is nearly November and I'm just as busy right now as I was back in June. I've over stuffed my business here.. I need to drop one or two people. That might happen naturally over the winter time, we'll see. 

This will slow down my plans for builds when I get started on them but when I do, it's back to the ATR-72. I finished getting the white paint on the other day but there are a couple patches where it orange peeled and I can't abide that. The rest of the finish (at least on the fuselage) looks spectacular so I can't have two patches of dull orange peel paint in the midst of a bunch of glassy smooth shiny paint.

More work will be done on the 737 as well because one the paint is on the ATR-72, I'm throwing that thing into a cupboard to sit for a couple weeks. I'm tired of paint problems and my two failing areas are not waiting long enough for things to gas out and also putting paint on too thick. So, on the 737, I installed the weight yesterday and I've mostly sanded down the ridiculously over-done filled windows (the sides of this thing are damn near bullet proof ) and sanded down a lot of the raised detail but now it's time to go ahead and join the fuselage halves together then I can get back to sanding again.

Only other builds I have are the wee fire truck (I need to sand the body parts and try painting them again, for some reason "stuff" keeps shining through on the finish, it's WEIRD) and the Space Force F-52. No telling about these but if I hit a point in the other two builds where I can't do anything I'll pick one of these up.

Gonna buy some lotto tickets today. I don't recall ever buying any actual tickets. I've bought a few scratch offs over the years (last time over a decade ago) but never done the numbers stuff. The friggin thing is up over a billion and a half dollars so why not.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 22, 2018, 04:03:03 AM
Well, I was sort of planning on having a bunch of free time today but I've already filled up the schedule with lawns. Here it is nearly November and I'm just as busy right now as I was back in June. I've over stuffed my business here.. I need to drop one or two people. That might happen naturally over the winter time, we'll see. 

My advice, for what it's worth ? Wait and see if you lose people naturally over the winter months. It's very easy to ditch customers, but not so easy to get new ones.

scooter

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 22, 2018, 04:03:03 AM
Gonna buy some lotto tickets today. I don't recall ever buying any actual tickets. I've bought a few scratch offs over the years (last time over a decade ago) but never done the numbers stuff. The friggin thing is up over a billion and a half dollars so why not.  ;D

:wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng