Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Thanks!!!! I didn't get nearly as wild and crazy as I had envisioned. I guess the morning time work routine sapped all my gusto or something but it was still an enjoyable day.

Got me some goodies in the mail, some goodies make you want to say F-CK!  ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Alright...   I've moved the action on this one to a new thread per the new MO. Instead of binning it (bin hell, I have arms and hands why would I ever bin a build?!?!?!?) I simply got to work and now most of the flaws are gone. It's just a matter of getting it re-painted which I will do with paint that I know is compatible with my primer and clear.  :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, I've found out what to do with my Tu-95 Bear kit!

http://ram-home.com/ram-old/tu-116.html

Tu-116 / Tu-114D

This makes it a simple affair as it's just a dis-armed Bear with new windows. I haven't looked yet, but there's probably even aftermarket decals out there for it.

What else... oh, I've worked more on the glider. (I'll get into that "over there." )

That's about it! Got some pretty good work done so I'm off to Red Dead for awhile.

No update on the ATR... still needs to sit outside and get some UV. Even with clouds I suppose I could stick it out there (clouds don't block ALL of the sun rays) but then again it's been raining soooo....   ;D    I'll just have to be patient and re-adjust my deadline to Christmas Day.  :thumbsup:

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I have an idea for a neat little project. I would like to make a monochrom model. In other words, I want to take a picture, of, say an F-4 Phantom (or something, WWII would probably be better so Spitfire or P-38 or something.... ) and copy it onto a model. It has to be a Black and White photograph, however.... then simply replicated everything exactly as you see it. So the entire thing would be shades of grey. Stupid idea or cool?? I wonder if it's been done before. I'd imagine so.

Otherwise, things are going well! I've worked on 3 things and have prepped for a 4th and I thinks that's all my projects right now.

Sanded more and filed more on the windscreen stuff on the 737 and it looks pretty damn good to me. Much improved! Still not sure, however, so I'll prime it up then I think I'll trace the windo decal onto a piece of masking tape, cut it out, and slap it on the build to see if it looks OK. If it does, then I guess I'm done and it's time to work out the final kinks in the finish (which is nearly there, it's at the point where I have to roll it around in the light to see imperfections) and get a couple more coats of primer on. I should be able to finally appliace white it then I can start thinking about the headache that is masking for two different colors of grey (boeing grey and then some other stuff, probablly corogaurd like ont he wings, that was applied as part of the gravel kit stuff) and the NMF parts on the bottom. I think I need to get the cheatlines on first, though, so I that I can mask in the proper place. It would be a disaster to mask where I THINK it goes and then have it be all messed up and then I'd have to redo it anyway!

Random image of past build, for interest. KX-81 Kukulcan of the Royal Mayan AF.

F-52 is being painted again. Sloppily and hastily at the moment because I might do some more sanding but then again I kind of like it as a finish anyway. Like a radar absorbing type of stuff or something. Good news is 95% of the sanding operation seems to have done its job and the thing is looking smooth once again. There are a couple little areas but I simply don't care. Diminishing returns and all that....    I'm still making good on my plan to not get bogged down in builds any more.

ATR-72 is sitting out in the sun to bleach away the yellow discoloration that appeared thanks to me being overzealous with the clear coat. This is one of my major problems that I've struggled with the entire time since I've started back building. I do try, but it's simply more difficult to tell when there's starting to be too much on the subject. I have got to remember to mist coat more. Last time the wind got me, too, though. I had to hold the can closer to the plane to get the stuff to not blow away in the wind and of course I got a little too close or the wind let up or whatever...    lesson learned though and eventually I'll get it right.  :thumbsup:

Glider has had nothing done yet but it is ready and waiting for gloss clear coat. I have the paint can warming up on the Hi-Fi. Once I do that, then it's ready for transfers. I still need to paint the canopy and make the bulkead spacer but this thing is rapidly drawing to an end! Maybe I can start thinking about another project for the racing GB. I was wanting to do a car but I can't find the #%&%^&#@$! thing.  ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Got some more work done on the 737. The fuselage is looking glorious now. I will throw on another 2-3 coats of primer, however, then sand the entire thing lightly and get it real nice for the appliance white. This should look really nice if I do it right.

I also did a bunch more work trying to fix the windscreen and nose area that I messed up so badly. It's a lot better now but I still will need to trace the windscreen transfers onto masking tape, cut it out, and put it on there to test it out. If need be, I'll go back in for more "adjustment" but I hope it's fine now.

I also glued the two gear doors back together that I accidentally cut in half.  :angel:

Also, I glossed the wee glider:

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 21, 2018, 10:24:55 AM
I have an idea for a neat little project. I would like to make a monochrom model. In other words, I want to take a picture, of, say an F-4 Phantom (or something, WWII would probably be better so Spitfire or P-38 or something.... ) and copy it onto a model. It has to be a Black and White photograph, however.... then simply replicated everything exactly as you see it. So the entire thing would be shades of grey. Stupid idea or cool?? I wonder if it's been done before. I'd imagine so.

Now that's certainly an interesting idea and not one I've seen before. You'd need to pose it with the photo that inspired you so that people could appreciate it.

You could take it even farther back and use a sepia photograph even.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

I have seen it done a couple of times in B&W and once in sepia. All 3 looked really good but that should be a point of encouragement, not otherwise, & should never be considered a reason for not giving it a go yourself!
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Here's the thing.... what inspired me was actually a recently completed build that I saw right here. This was maybe 2 months ago? 2 or 3 at the most.... it was a jet fighter and it was really neat but when I first saw it I thought it was monochrome black and white and that's when the idea struck.

I guess now I'll have to find it....   

But anyway.. it could be pretty neat to do. I might have to get someone to scan a sheet of transfers for me then print them back out onto decal paper in B&W.  ;D :thumbsup:   Or wait... I can do this myself I think. I think mama's printer is a scanner as well. I'll have to see.

Thanks fellers!!

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

How about a B&W GB?

I'm adding it to my list for next years vote.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Might be a hoot! Perhaps cooler than the planes could be B&W armor...    a monochrome Sherman sitting in a monochrome dio would be pretty cool. Or one of them ship builds where it's sitting in water being impacted by a torpedo or something and there's explosion made of cotton or whatever but do it all in B&W.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Found it. It wasn't a jet after all. Block off the far left edge with your hand or whatever then ignore the yellow blade tips.....  you could claim that this was taken in B&W and no one would argue.

b29r's Vought F4U-1K

Link: http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,45599.0.html
[/quote]

-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 23, 2018, 07:04:41 AM
Might be a hoot! Perhaps cooler than the planes could be B&W armor...    a monochrome Sherman sitting in a monochrome dio would be pretty cool. Or one of them ship builds where it's sitting in water being impacted by a torpedo or something and there's explosion made of cotton or whatever but do it all in B&W.

I'm sure I've seen a pic from a Show of something quite like that - a Sherman crossing a bridge with some troops and a shell bursting in the water along side... I want to say Euro Militaire, maybe in one of the Military Modelling magazines? (which of course means it's now unavailable to see on the web  :banghead: :banghead:)

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Merry Christmas, ya scalawags!

Not been doing much modeling but I haven't quit either. I've just finally gotten back into the video games and I'm hooked on Red Dead Redemption 2. Sooooo good. Just... good Lord I hope it isn't another 8 years before we see another. That's just too long. Back to the models, I have done more filing on the 737 wind screen. THIS time I went in with measuring devices to help me aid in determining if we're in good shape. I got it to the point where the numbers match on either side of certain things and it certainly LOOKS much better so I primed it, again. I'll sand it some more then give it a couple more coats of primer then sand it one last time, lightly, then it's finally time for appliance white!  :wub:

Also... I clear coated one half of the glider the other day and will try to clear the other side today then it's ready for transfers. That's the next step... I need to find the ones I need to work. But, man, this is tiny... it's rough finding anything that'll even fit!!!

More sanding on the F-52. I scrutinized it thoroughly and found more things that needed help so I took care of those and now she's ready for the next coat of black paint.

ATR-72 spent more time in the sun but being the worst possible time of the year for this it's taking longer than I'd like to zap the yellow out. This time of the year the sun is at it's least direct and there's always more clouds around so this may take awhile. I sure as hell didn't make the Christmas deadline at any rate.  ;D

But yeah, despite the Holidays and my playing video games I'm still managing to work on all me builds.  :laugh: :laugh: 

Plan for this afternoon is sort of the same as it has for the last week or more. Get at least SOMETHING done on all builds.

Can't do anything with the ATR-72. We're actually in the middle of STORMS right now.. like... thunderstorms... just short of severe. It's weird spring-like weather so no way in hell I'm putting my baby outside (although I did get a little full the other night and left the ATR-72 out over night but it was fine!! Finish is rock solid!).

BUT...  I need to sand a bit on the 737 where I had a run with my primer so I'll do that, then put more primer on it.

Then I'll gloss the other side of my glider.

Then I'll paint more black onto the F-52. (I'll thin it this time... I had brush strokes last round) . 

Nothing much else going on. Still alive and kicking. Christmas was fine. Didn't get any model stuff, but that's OK. I buy plenty of that on my own. Still doing well with the ciggies. I did have a couple days where I sort of let loose but I didn't keep it up. I'm still at about pack and a half a week, down from 2.5-3. This weening down step has been succesful enough that I'm going ahead with the next phase here real soon. This one might be a little rough, we'll see.

I hope you all had a good Holiday and all that jive. I guess now it's about time to start getting ready for 2019. Sheesh, I swear I feel like I'm still tired of hearing about the Y2k Bug....    :rolleyes:
-Sprues McDuck-