Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

VERY smart Brad, and the fleet pic looks the business too.  :thumbsup:

Welcome to the Airliner Modelling community.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Aye!   Cheers, everyone! Thank you. Plenty more airliners to come for sure. It's easy to get hooked on all the clean lines and glorious colors.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 01, 2019, 07:47:56 AM

Aye!   Cheers, everyone! Thank you. Plenty more airliners to come for sure. It's easy to get hooked on all the clean lines and glorious colors.

Ain't THAT the truth!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 01, 2019, 09:43:15 AM

Yup. I must admit I've never really had an interest in airliner stuff, but seeing some of these has got me wondering I must admit  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 02, 2019, 06:29:12 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 01, 2019, 09:43:15 AM

Yup. I must admit I've never really had an interest in airliner stuff, but seeing some of these has got me wondering I must admit  :thumbsup:

If you need any airliner decals, er, transfers sorry Chris, I've BUCKETS of them.  ;D

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

TheChronicOne

Come over to the light side!!!!

So.. what's going on. Sitting here blowing a few cumulus vape clouds trying to come up with a plan. I didn't get a lot done yesterday but what I did was pretty important. This being masking the control surfaces at the rear of the plane. Now I can paint them.

Otherwise, it's time to see if I can do something to dress up this black paint. Not sure how to go about it but I have some ideas I want to try so I think I'll do that this afternoon. Since this is capable of going into space and is a future project I'd like to make the finish futuristic as well. Like some sort of next generation stealth/anti-radiation coating or some such. To this end, I'm going to try to mix up a wash basically. I want it to be very wet and thin. I'm going to put some silver paint in there and some red paint in there then use this wash to go over the paint. I'm hoping the end result will yield a very subdued reddish "tint" with a bit of sparkle/shimmer to it. If I do it right, it could look pretty neat! This is the confounding part, though, because this could go different ways... I could use a different color and go with green, or blue, or even make it varied...  randomly paint all three or something, red, green, blue and it'll give almost the same effect of a thin sheen of oil on the surface of water. Something like that. So that's what I'll be playing with later.

In other news...  I'm starting to think of my next Airliner project. I recently picked these up and I think I'd like to tackle the red one there. Easy as far as painting goes as the entire fuselage is red. Only masking will be on the wings. Also, it's the Minicraft MD-80 so it should be a breeze. Thirdly, this will be my graduation from "small" airliners into a more "mid size" are. I'm still learning about these things and per that process I'm going to steer clear of larger subjects. Eventually I'll graduate again into stuff like wide body three engines like an L-1011 then eventually to the larger four engined planes. Call it Airliner Academy.

And wouldn't you know....  at about the same time, I picked this up. I didn't even plan it but it's a damn handy coincidence:

For some reason this lil book is hard to find (in the U.S. at least).

EDIT: Oh yeah, have y'all seen where they flew an XP-82 the other day? AFIK the only one in existence that can fly and possibly the only one that HAS flown in quite some time.
-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Hey, Brad

Have you seen these?:

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/153-chameleon-acrylic-paints

Looks... interesting.  :unsure:

Be aware though, there was something iffy when I tried to order direst from them, with a whole lot of dodgy-sounding questions from their 3rd party payment people.
Fortunately I managed to source what I wanted locally, so flea-bay or similar might be a better bet for you.

Cheers & HTH

PR19_Kit

The Minicraft MD-80 is a PEACH of a kit, it fits together really well and looks the business too.

I did mine in the McDonalds scheme carried by a Crossair example. Apparently they served Big Macs for the in flight 'meals' aboard it!

I'd recommend using the SAC white metal landing gear though, the Minicraft styrene stuff is very fragile. You get two sets of gear in the SAC pack too, so you'll have enough for both of yours.

Jody's book's very good too, all sorts of angles you hardly ever see in there.

They FLEW the XP-82! FANTASTIC! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 04, 2019, 05:47:56 AM

Apparently it was like teh Spruce Goose's "flight": Accidental
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 03, 2019, 05:00:13 PM
Hey, Brad

Have you seen these?:

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/153-chameleon-acrylic-paints

Looks... interesting.  :unsure:

Be aware though, there was something iffy when I tried to order direst from them, with a whole lot of dodgy-sounding questions from their 3rd party payment people.
Fortunately I managed to source what I wanted locally, so flea-bay or similar might be a better bet for you.

Cheers & HTH

Nyet! That's just what I need. I couldn't achieve the effect I was aiming for with cheap craft paints and water. I did get an interesting effect using green, however. I'm going to gloss over it and see how it looks then and decide whether or not to go with it or not or proceed with decalling. Red didn't work... it turned pink with the silver then once applied it wasn't really noticeable. Probably would be in some good sunlight but it wasn't what I was wanting. I didn't try any other colors after the green, however. If said green doesn't work I'd love to try some of these.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 04, 2019, 05:47:56 AM
The Minicraft MD-80 is a PEACH of a kit, it fits together really well and looks the business too.

I did mine in the McDonalds scheme carried by a Crossair example. Apparently they served Big Macs for the in flight 'meals' aboard it!

I'd recommend using the SAC white metal landing gear though, the Minicraft styrene stuff is very fragile. You get two sets of gear in the SAC pack too, so you'll have enough for both of yours.

Jody's book's very good too, all sorts of angles you hardly ever see in there.

That's great!!! I love McD's too and have considered making this one myself!!!  I'll snag a couple sets of them wheels. That way I'll have four. I think I'm up to either 4-5 of these MD-80s now.  :wacko:   It's hard to pass them up when I find them CHEAP.
-Sprues McDuck-