Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Yup. So good!  I just recently watched it but am again basically to have going in the background as I do other things. The Pacific is next.

This bottle of stuff was pretty damn expensive so I hope I like it.  ;D   It's an upgrade to my generic brand. I'll be interested in seeing the difference and I'm glad to have it because with all the old kits I have, I possess more junky canopies than nice pristine ones. I also want to try the trick where ya mix it with Simple Green to achieve ~ULTRA GLOSS~.  :wacko:
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on April 26, 2019, 08:56:52 AM

This bottle of stuff was pretty damn expensive so I hope I like it.  ;D   

Yup, but it should last a fair old time
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Probably last me a lifetime. I only use it on canopies and small parts..... maybe if i need to "repair" some gloss or add a transfer I didn't realize I wanted. No plans at current for using it to gloss an entire project (no airbrush and hand brushing this stuff seems a little weird when I have my rattle can clears).

Plans for today include finishing the helo. I need to paint the missiles. I was trying to paint the yellow bands on them the other night and wasn't doing too well so I decided to wait. Otherwise, I'm needing to paint the rocket pods and then gloss that stuff. After that stuff is drying, I can start transfers but before I do that I'm going to get the paint onto the Nomad so I can turn around and gloss IT so IT can dry. If I'm lucky, I could finish both these projects today. I seriously doubt it. My build pace and slown to a crawl even on the days where I have a number of hours to dedicate to it so we'll start the plan and just HOPE we finish at least one.

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Missiles and rockets and stuff painted for the helo finally. The yellow rings on the Hellfires look a bit sub-par but I'm not going to spend an awful lot of time refinning it. I bet it all looks just fine in the end product. So... I'm going to gloss those parts up and set them aside then back to painting on the Nomad, because it's ready. I've selected what I hope is the proper shade of grey and will get it covered up then I need to go back in and detail paint and put thing on like the anti glare patch.

Next up, a bit of an update on the Tin Mouse. It would seem that my deletion of the surplus rudder hinge has worked well and the finish below the paint is adequate. Bad news is, however, that the initial layers of paint I've put on had orange peeled and there are a couple things trapped in the finish... dust bunnies or whatever. I'm going to need to do some sanding before I proceed with more coats. Not sure when I 'll start this. It has been drying now for... uhh....  5-7 days or something like that but I might wait longer. I might try sanding a bit on the underside of a stab to see how it goes. Sure would be nice to get this white paint on.

In the meantime, however, I can contiue working on the engines. I've already started chopping them up. I cut them, then I'll need to file the pieces flush (and square) then I'll need to add either 4 or 5 mm in the form of a plug that I'll make out of....   something. There's also some fin things I think I need to make and reverser inlets that need deleting. I hope this goes well, I've never done anything like this before but I can't find any after market parts for the life of me so it's either this or shelve the damn thing and I going to have that happen.

There's still even more little odds and ends I need to take care of like modifying the nose gear doors. I've already started by cutting them down but I need to put additional pieces on them that serve as the rear portion of the nose gear fairing. Also, the vortex dissipators need to be done but I'm pretty sure I'll wait until the engines are done. I've already made the stretched sprue, it's just a matter of getting them built and I figure I lessen my chances of breaking or losing them if I wait until later to do them.

So that's that!!!! Should be done with the helo pretty soon.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I've finished something.. it's been awhile. I thing it turned out great. It really looks nice sitting here on my desk.  :laugh:  Of course, I can't take pictures worth a flip, but that's nothing new.

Bunch more pictures here: http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,46477.new.html#new

I've also managed to paint the Nomad! Pretty easy!!! All over grey, same color for the entire thing aside from the gear bays and doors. I couldn't find a reference for them so just went with "grimy white." Next up, I'll mask and paint the anti glare patch and start painting the detail stuff like insides of intakes and the rocket pods, lights, and whatever other things I can find. Might be able to gloss this later.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Going to try for 2/2! I should be able to finish the Nomad today if I can keep from being too awfully distracted. I THINK I finished painting it and have already started to gloss for transfers. I should be able to start putting those in an hour or so then it's one last coat of clear then gluing on the fiddly parts and should be done at that point!

I guess once this is done, I can start some of the odds and ends on the 737. The engines definitely need to be worked on. Could try sanding a bit on it, too. We'll see.

Lastly, we have the Gunship which has been sitting idle for some time now. Last thing I did was slather up the seams on the loading ramp. I guess I can sand all that smooth again. I don't think I'm going to bother re-scribing the lines as at this scale, they're not that apparent anyway.

Picture for the hell of it. "The Roundel of The Masking Tape Air Force."

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

That obviously didn't pan out all the way but I should be able to finish the Nomad TODAY! Rained out and nursing wounds still so I've nothing better to do. I need to do my house chores first but even after that bullcrap I should still have the majority of the afternoon and evening to work on getting it done.

I need to decide whether or not I want to weather this thing. There's also a tiny bit of touch up painting needing done but all the rest of that is finished and the transfers are on. All downhill from here, really.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Done with the Nomad.

I'll need to take more pictures.

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Now that's looking like an aeroplane at last.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Thanks!!  Here in a few days the sun will come out or I will get impatient and take some more pictures inside.   I think it turned out well. Looks good on the shelf.  ;D Technically, I think it's a whif as well because of the tail number.... everything past the dash is from a Vietnamese plane.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Taking a break from building for awhile. I just finished two so that's a pretty nice achievement! I went and bought myself this new (to the PS4) simulation game called "Train Simulation World" (I think) and it's supposed to be for both armchair "fans" and hardcore "railfans" alike. I'm going to try HARDCORE mode. Supposedly you have to learn a bunch of stuff and then do all the things you do on the real locos to get them going. Not sure the ins and outs of the game but it boasts locos and trains of all type..... freight, passenger, high speed, inner city(subways and stuff I guess).  I suppose there will be a "career" mode and all that.... I'll be tasked with getting from one place to another, on time, without killing everyone and breaking tons of regs.

Pics and stuff later!!!! Let's play with trains!!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I got so busy, there was no time to take any pictures. Doing transit on the Eastern Seaboard of the US is surprisingly involved. Anyway.....  lol...   My first train was an "ASC" something or other, and electric train. At one point I found an open-ish stretch of track and broke ALL the damn rules and regulations and got up to a speed of 143 miles per hour. I pulled up within half a mile of the station then slammed on the emergency stop and slid right into the platform area right on target.  ;D ;D ;D :wacko:     For some odd reason, they didn't fail me outright. Earlier on I passed through a danger gate thing and it immediately pulled me out of the sim.  :-X

Anyway.... I'm still a grumpy, miserable man right now. I've pulled/strained/torn groin muscle stuff and it's driving me nuts. it's even making it hard to uhh... "go to the bathroom" so I've resorted to laxatives and stuff. I really need to take better care of myself. I'm not 25 any more. Anyway...  right when I start to feel better allergies or something hit and going into a sneezing fit or a coughing fit... or.... I turn a certain way and all of a sudden I aggrivate it again. Could take weeks to heal but I need to REST And RELAX but how the hell can I?  These muscles I use nearly every day at work so I guess I'll just have to bide my time and if worse comes to worse start cancelling lawn jobs.

That's about it for me. No work on models lately. About the only condideration to them in the last few days is to attempt to take pics of my little Nomad. I'll try that again today whether the sun comes out or not then perhaps back to work on the gunship. I actually sanded some on it the other day where I had to put filler around the cargo door.

EDIT:  Oh yeah....  y'all see where the first two A380s were being scrapped? That's a pretty quick turn-around from "in-service" to "retired" in a mere 12 years!
-Sprues McDuck-