Chronic's Research and Aeronautics Project (C.R.A.P.)

Started by TheChronicOne, September 20, 2016, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 26, 2021, 05:39:46 AM
There's a slight connection with the Delta C-130s and the Tri-Star.  ;D

The various US airlines, Eastern for one, used to send their RB-211 engines back to Rolls Royce for fixing sometimes, and they flew them into East Midlands airport near Derby aboard C-130s. Delta was one of the airlines that flew them, and the other common one was Saturn.

Whoa!! Cool, I had no idea!  Well that does it... I think that's my "sign" and it's time to green light the Delta-Herk.   :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

reddfoxx

The civil Herks have always been interesting, and this Delta one particularly.  I think TWA had a C-119.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: reddfoxx on November 27, 2021, 05:48:53 AM

The civil Herks have always been interesting, and this Delta one particularly.  I think TWA had a C-119.

Nearly, it was the earlier C-82, and it had a booster jet on the roof!  :o

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

reddfoxx

Aha, thanks.  And I believe it was also used to run replacement engines around.

TheChronicOne

Daaaaamn!! Totally new to me, thanks gents. That's is AWESOME. I definitely going to build THAT. The airplane is a bit new to me, too... it's a Baby Boxcar for sure... I've probably seen it in passing and didn't realize it, assuming it was a 119. Cargo bird I assume or did it tote pax? That jet booster on top is interesting. Reminds me in a way of the Mexican RATO 727's that flew out of Mexico City.

Worked a little last night on the Lysander... I did all the cutting and it's actually a whole airplane again. I'm glad the Matchbox tail met up well with the Airfix fuselage. They are not the same mould and quite different in places. Strangely enough, though, the ridges on the side of the fuselage managed to match up perfectly. I wouldn't have expected that.  ;D

I still need to put the tail planes on but that'll only take 2-3 minutes. I just need to figure out how to paint it... I need to hit the decals stash and see if I can dig up some stars perhaps... I was also thinking of striping it but I'm likely just going to paint it white. It should look just fine that way... I've seen plenty of prop planes over the year with that sort of treatment and they appeal to me for some reason. What I'm not going to do is paint it back with the camoflauge because I think the whole story of how I melted the tail off and had to repair it add character and interest and incorporating a repair into the backstory of the model is interesting, too. Bob Ross vibes... there are no mistakes... just happy accidents..  or whatever.  ;)

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

The C-82 was just an earlier version of the C-119. Aft of the cockpit they're almost identical, but I think the C-119 had pokier engines.

Quite a few civil 82s had the roof jet, it's shown in a number of on-line pics, and I'm pretty sure the TWA one was to tote airliner engines around, much like the Delta C-130 and Court Line's Beverley. Sadly the latter never did carry an engine, but I'm modelling it anyway.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

How about NMF for the Lysander tail?
The idea being they never got around to painting it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Nick

Quote from: zenrat on November 28, 2021, 03:53:00 AM

Lysanders had a fabric skin. Not sure what colour the dope was but I'd assume a light brown shade. A shiny silver Lysander would look good though.

scooter

Quote from: Nick on November 28, 2021, 11:34:22 AM

Lysanders had a fabric skin. Not sure what colour the dope was but I'd assume a light brown shade. A shiny silver Lysander would look good though.

How about red primer?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

TheChronicOne

Well.... here's what we have for now. It's all back together and complete again (aside from the antenna which I'm leaving off anyway).

Thoughts? I like the idea of the primer.  I might just leave it like this, though, if it looks decent enough. Maybe throw some numbers on the fin. I was thinking of putting stars on there but that would be stupid, there's plenty all over the thing as it is and it would look... tacky I guess.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Definitely have my lack of small 1/144 fighter kits problem solved now. With the stuff I got the other day, I now have all this as well... these seemed to be a good deal, even after tax and shipping they were only $5 a piece. I like the Viggen..... I was ruminating on doing something in KLM colors and markings not too long ago and I might just have to put them on the Viggen.   :wacko:

I still have a few fighter kits in this scale on my wishlist, however:

P-51
F-16
F-14

These are "must haves." Favorite fighters list and allat.....   of course there are many others I want, too, should the opportunity present itself to get them at a nice cheap price. Things like MiG-29, F-111, ... uhhhhh....   A-10... although those are hard to come by.. and uhhh.... F/A-18..... P-38 and whatever else.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

All the more reason to do it metal finish... :wacko:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

Quote from: zenrat on November 29, 2021, 03:04:39 AM

All the more reason to do it metal finish... :wacko:

Pre-WW2 style Silver Dope finish - simples... ;)

TheChronicOne

OK..... I've had a rough few days but I'll not get too into detail about that right at the moment because I'm just trying to get things back on the rails here. SO.....   check this out.... I really like how the white tail on the Lysander looks and I can't bring myself to paint over it so that lil feller is DONE! Sweet....  SO......    here, let me go find some pictures and stuff right quick... .....  brb .... . .. . ..   

Before and after...   the fuselage was warped and messed up along with the tail so this was kind of sketchy and I had to do a lot of heavy sanding in areas to get things back in shape but it worked and I saved the Lysander....  I think it's a neat little model of an interesting subject so it was worth the effort. Now.... the Phantom there.......   :o   That's in a lot worse shape and spare parts to make it whole again are fleeting... add to that it's a historically accurate aircraft and not a whif.... combine these factors  and the likliehood of a repair for that one is slim to none. In fact, I've already made up my mind to just scrap it and use the parts for future projects and if I want... just buy another Phantom kit and re-do it. Which... is not a bad idea... I really like the late 40's early 50's jets ....    underpowered.... straight wings... whatever other features they might have... I dunno, they're just appealing somehow.

This leaves the Tristar. I haven't done much on this because the next thing I need to do other than the decals and gear/doors is get the Miliput going and make the skid that goes on the belly of the plane.... that's a process that once started needs to be completed in one sitting....  see.... Miliput is easier to work with before it dries and using water with it to help shape it is a lot LOT easier than trying to shape it after it dries with files and sanding. This stuff is hard as a damn rock after it dries.  ;D 

With 2/3 of my catch-up project complete I'm going to go ahead and get started on the L-100 Delta Herk.

Not much else going on... I bought a little 1/144 A-10, though, which is cool... that will be awesome to make into a little fighter-liner.
-Sprues McDuck-