The Condor with photos

Started by McColm, September 21, 2016, 12:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

I finally got my hands on a copy of ' The Air Staff and AEW' written by Chris Gibson  published 2013.
Its packed with concept aircraft, line drawings and coloured artwork. A lot of the book has already been covered on this site but there are still hidden surprises.
I was astounded to find that some of my long-term builds are very similar to what is mentioned in the book and could be tweaked to represent the concept model.
The Bristol type 170 Freighter was to carry the AWI scanner in the nose. The doors would have been replaced by a radome, with the antenna mounted on a new stabilised platform. ( I've opted for the Forward and Aft scanner system combined with a gyroplane).
The Britannia was reconsidered as a AEW platform, to be fitted with a AN/APS.120 radar from the Grumman E-2 Hawkeye and even the Armstrong Whitworth Argosy fitted with two outboard Avon turbojets or Spey turbofans retaining the inboard Dart turboprops was considered.
The BAC 1-11, Andover and VC-10 have been covered before. The British tried to acquire the Grumman E-2 Hawkeye even going as far to suggest a four engined version.
The Nimrod was to of had the AN/APY-1 radar from the Boeing E-3A Sentry.Even the Breguet Atlantic didn't escape examination with the FASS and AN/APS.120. With studies into Rolls-Royce Spey 512 turbofans or retain the Tyne turboprops.
The mighty C-130 didn't attract any interest either. Alternatives to the Boeing Sentry came from Airbus in the form of the A300 and A310, with home grown talent in the form of the BAe 146.
An interesting read with lots of options to the Whiffed.

McColm

Using the line drawing on page 103 of the Breguet Br.1250 flying boat as a guide, I have simply glued the fuselage halves from the Revell Dassault Breguet Br.1150 and slid them over a reduced Hasegawa Martin Marlin.
The Airfix Vickers Valiant wing fits snuggly on the upper fuselage but won't be glued in place until tomorrow.
I shall use the floats from the Marlin and attach them on the new wing.
  As to the 'fat' Vulcan described on page 123 the kitbash that I'm building using the fuselage from the Anigrand Martin SeaMaster, resin radome from the ex-Cammett set and the wing from the Airfix Avro Vulcan. I intend to use a V-tail made from two vertical tail fins and use the Mach2 or SAC metal landing gear from the Vickers Valiant.

McColm

I came up with an idea to build the Heller 1/72 Boeing E-3A Sentry with a twist. My first thought was the IAI Condor as I had most of the parts. Nose radome and the fuselage cheeks, but then I filled around with the engines from the Anigrand Martin SeaMaster kit and glued them over the wings.The tail section would become a V-tail and a rear radome added. Actually it's a leftover part from the original kit. The ESM wingtip pods are from the Airfix BAe Nimrod MR2 P.
This frees up the ground clearance for additional pylons to be fitted.
Just speculating that the rear radome would mean a Fore and Aft 360 degree coverage for an AEW version.
Named the 'Serval'-African wild cat with long legs. Should look good with toned down decals.
This is what it looks like.
https://imgur.com/a/dVrXQsD
https://imgur.com/a/nDP8970