The Original Scrapbox - perfect for modellers?

Started by overscan, September 23, 2016, 09:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Neat little units. I wouldn't say its shame, just neat and orderly. A lot of the people into stamping and scrap-booking are young mothers, and you certainly can't leave all of that stuff laying about.

I've recently been collecting pallets, for to build some storage and stuff.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on September 24, 2016, 06:59:36 AM
Really Useful brand plastic boxes (which are very good):

Yup use them myself  :thumbsup:

I have a couple of these for storage of tools and spares. The tools one is on my modeling desk and can accommodate most of what we normally use

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Organiser-Cabinet/40-6980

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 25, 2016, 05:45:12 AM
Quote from: Weaver on September 24, 2016, 06:59:36 AM
Really Useful brand plastic boxes (which are very good):

Yup use them myself  :thumbsup:

I have a couple of these for storage of tools and spares. The tools one is on my modeling desk and can accommodate most of what we normally use

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Organiser-Cabinet/40-6980

Yep - I used to keep my 'downstairs' modelling supplies in them until I got my permanent living room bench setup.

A 4-litre box with a tray insert will just nicely take a layer of Humbrol tinlets under the tray.

A 9-litre box (same as the 4-litre but deeper) with take the tray at the top, a compartment insert at the bottom, and hold the majority of bottle-shaped modelling supplies without them rattling around.

The only downside to the 4/9L system is that they're just too short to hold Evergreen. That needed an 11-litre box with doesn't quite stack with the rest... :banghead:

Now that my tools have a permanent home, I use the 9-litre boxes to transport models to shows. You can get three small aircraft or two larger jet fighters in each one, with enough depth for a polystyrene floor to take toothpicks and a loose 'anti-bounce' layer of foam above them. If the fins are short enough, you can carry a tray insert with repair tools too. The lids are nice and tight and they stack very securely. To carry them all in one go, I put a cargo strap (not a Really Useful brand product) around the whole stack.

I'll do pics if anyone's interested.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

I find those boxes ideal for transporting to shows, as traveling by public transport they fit my bag comforatbly.

The problem I have now is laying my hands on polystyrene sheets  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Expanded polystyrene?
Sheets of approx 30mm thick are used as insulation in cavity walls.  Try a builders merchant.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

I've got a pile of plastic storage boxes from the dollar store. Cheap Chinese crap, half of the lids don't fit proper. But god and cheap enough :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on September 26, 2016, 05:11:48 AM
Expanded polystyrene?
Sheets of approx 30mm thick are used as insulation in cavity walls.  Try a builders merchant.

Only problem is you probably need to buy a huge sheet and transport is a problem. I suppose I could cut it into manageable pieces on site ?

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 26, 2016, 07:11:09 AM
Quote from: zenrat on September 26, 2016, 05:11:48 AM
Expanded polystyrene?

Only problem is you probably need to buy a huge sheet and transport is a problem. I suppose I could cut it into manageable pieces on site ?

Just for a giggle, go and queue up at the wood saw enclosure with it...   :wacko:

It's actually harder to find approriate expanded polystyrene in DIY shops these days. The standard for roof insulation has gone up and a lot of it is too thick for our purposes (unless you've got a load of super-deep boxes on the cheap). Wickes was the last place I saw some that was under 50mm.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

I was thinking about wall insulation.  When I was labouring in the UK we would build cavity walls and then slide sheets of the stuff down the gap.
Maybe ask a builder or bricky if they have any offcuts?

Or maybe, as you suggest it has increased in thickness as insulation standards go up?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on September 26, 2016, 04:31:18 PM
I was thinking about wall insulation.  When I was labouring in the UK we would build cavity walls and then slide sheets of the stuff down the gap.
Maybe ask a builder or bricky if they have any offcuts?

Or maybe, as you suggest it has increased in thickness as insulation standards go up?

A very quick scout around shows that they're mostly using Rockwool type products these days. I think 50mm is the standard cavity wall gap by current regs too.

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on September 26, 2016, 04:50:28 PM

A very quick scout around shows that they're mostly using Rockwool type products these days. I think 50mm is the standard cavity wall gap by current regs too.

Yup and most of the packing you get in electrical gear etc is the plastic type which doesn't take toothpicks, rather than the expanded poly stuff

Martin H

Heres what I use in my transport boxes.

Ive been using sheets of this for years, both in my old cardboard boxes and the big plastic ones ive been using lately
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Weaver

Quote from: Martin H on September 27, 2016, 05:13:42 PM
Heres what I use in my transport boxes.

Ive been using sheets of this for years, both in my old cardboard boxes and the big plastic ones ive been using lately

Interesting. Last few times I've looked for something like that in the local B&Q there's been nothing that thin.

Luckily I had some on stock from a 20 year old project that never came off when I got back into modelling, but it's almost all gone now.

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Cheers Martin. I've taken a note of the details  :thumbsup: