De Havilland Sea Venom

Started by Joe C-P, September 29, 2016, 12:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe C-P

I'm trying to figure out how to whif it. It will serve in the Naval Air Corps of one of the Patchwork World Dutch city-states.

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

The Wooksta!

Any navy that didn't have them?  India, for example?  De-navalise it and flog it to some tin pot third world bunch?  Or keep the naval gear and flog it to the Swiss - they flew Venoms anyway and the arrestor gear would be handy for short landings whilst the folding wings mean you can hide them away in a tunnel sharpish.

Or an offset Vampire bubble canopy with the radar dude buried as a Vixen trainer?  Must have a pointy nose and the 60s paint scheme.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Captain Canada

You know what this thread needs ? More leaves  :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing this one. Love that aeroplane, so wee but big. Sleek but clunky....love that box art as well !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 29, 2016, 04:29:48 PM
Or an offset Vampire bubble canopy with the radar dude buried as a Vixen trainer?  Must have a pointy nose and the 60s paint scheme.

Only if the observer is a dwarf!

Seriously though, the Aeronavale's Sea Venom-derived Aquilon came in a single-seat version but retained the original canopy.  An offset canopy a la Sea Vixen would be a legit whif in that respect.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Doesn't the Observer in a Sea Venom sit slightly astern of the Pilot, presumably derived from the Nav's position in a Mossie?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I've read somewhere that the forward fuselages of the Vampire and Venom two seaters came from the Mosquito ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

zenrat

I've read somewhere that the forward fuselage of the Vampire was the same diameter as that of the Mosquito.  Don't know about the Venom.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 30, 2016, 04:07:17 AM
I've read somewhere that the forward fuselages of the Vampire and Venom two seaters came from the Mosquito ---

Certainly the T11s came off the Mossie production line. I spoke to a guy restoring the woordwork on a T11 at Duxford a while back and he said he used the same workshop manuals as he'd used to sort out a Mossie night fighter at Elvington some years previously.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I to have seen that somewhere.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Knightflyer

Just tagging onto this thread as I've a Sea Venom under consideration as well

General question - Can anyone confirm that the RAF night-fighter Venoms (NF.2 & NF.3) weren't 'wired-up' to carry rockets (and bombs?) in the same way as the FAA 'multi-purpose' Sea-Venoms FAW.20 etc) ?

Oh to be whiffing again :-(

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 30, 2016, 02:08:07 AM
Doesn't the Observer in a Sea Venom sit slightly astern of the Pilot, presumably derived from the Nav's position in a Mossie?

Dunno about that but the Vampire T11 and Sea Venom pits are VERY tight and the slight offset in the latter is essential for radar scopes, etc.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

I don't think so, derivation from the depth of the single seater Vampires and Venoms would have been the deciders, but the Mossie influence at least is clear to me.

kitbasher

Forward fuselages.  Will check with my Sea Venom expert and report back.  Construction principles/techniques would at least be VERY similar.

A whiffed Mosquito NF.30 front end with a Goblin engine and wings from a Vampire F1 plus NF10 booms/tailplane.  Mmm, I feel a whif coming on!

PR19_Kit

....Or the other way round.

A Vampire with a Merlin in the back and a pusher prop, and VERY long undercarriage legs, needless to say.

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

So a SAAB J21 then.  And the J21R, like the Vampire, was Goblin-powered.