Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

It was worth a shot. My factory definitely got bombed on the last build.  LOL
-Sprues McDuck-

Modelling_Mushi

Quote from: Flyer on October 07, 2016, 02:28:20 AM
Thanks guy's. :cheers:

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 06, 2016, 12:28:32 PM
Just turn it into part of the "whif" story and make boo boo into a cupcake. Someone bombed the facilities so they had to paint the plane with mops and straw brooms.

Good idea but it's a civilian sport plane, if the factory got bombed I doubt painting the plane would be considered no matter the application method, and if it was to be armed for retaliation paint would rob some weaponry weight and there is only 150Hp to play with... ;)

What about if, the day before the air race she's entered into, the judges decide that the aircraft needs a quick colour change. (Maybe it clashes with El Presidentes girlfriends dress??)  All the pilot has on hand are his faithful assistant Hopalong, buckets, mops and tins of Acme SupaOneKote Paint.

Please don't keep me waiting until 20 Dec to see this one finished. :(

Ciao
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Flyer

Quote from: Modelling_Mushi on October 08, 2016, 01:21:03 AM
Quote from: Flyer on October 07, 2016, 02:28:20 AM
Thanks guy's. :cheers:

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 06, 2016, 12:28:32 PM
Just turn it into part of the "whif" story and make boo boo into a cupcake. Someone bombed the facilities so they had to paint the plane with mops and straw brooms.

Good idea but it's a civilian sport plane, if the factory got bombed I doubt painting the plane would be considered no matter the application method, and if it was to be armed for retaliation paint would rob some weaponry weight and there is only 150Hp to play with... ;)

What about if, the day before the air race she's entered into, the judges decide that the aircraft needs a quick colour change. (Maybe it clashes with El Presidentes girlfriends dress??)  All the pilot has on hand are his faithful assistant Hopalong, buckets, mops and tins of Acme SupaOneKote Paint.

Please don't keep me waiting until 20 Dec to see this one finished. :(

Ciao

Hey I can work from that sorta, but not with a air race. The carrier hook still extends and retracts and because of that fact is why I changed my mind from RAF camo to a Navy paint job firstly, so working on that if a group of like minded sport pilots strung a cable across a private airstrip to have a impromptu carrier competition, the Buffalo's owner simply left it to the last minute to add some colour and made a rush job of it. ;D :thumbsup:

And that also opens up some other 1/48 from 1/72 Hellcats, Wildcats and Corsairs etc... in the future to go with it. :mellow:

Edit: I finally brought the Buffalo out of the box I put it in to dry out of sight, it's not as bad as I thought, still doesn't look the best but it will be continued soon. :thumbsup:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

zenrat

Satin clear can hide a lot of texture in a paintjob.

I have every faith that this will be awesome.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Flyer

I spent all day painting the top colour on and sorting out the small bits to be added. The bulk of the plane is finished and now that the top colour is complete I feel rather proud of how it's turned out so far, some of the marks have flattened out or gone completely after another day or two of drying. I will be having some issues cleaning up the canopy framing as I didn't mask and made a bit of a mess of the application but I will press on. :thumbsup: No pic will be available until after Wed sometime, at this rate it will be near finished by then. :-\

Quote from: zenrat on October 08, 2016, 06:05:24 AM
Satin clear can hide a lot of texture in a paintjob

Silly question, before or after decals?

Quote from: zenrat on October 08, 2016, 06:05:24 AM
I have every faith that this will be awesome.

Thank you. :cheers:

I also have a full unbuilt Matchbox Buffalo that has 1974 moulded into a fuselage side I think would be safe to enter the GB, considering doing a second... ;D

TheChronicOne

Satin would be best after decals because the decals won't want to stick to it very well. Also, helps seal them in and hide borders.   ;)

Glad the paint laid down more flat. I ought to go inspect my Yak 7 camo thing and see if it's doing the same thing.  lol
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Yes, satin after decals.
My routine is paint then gloss clear.  At which point it looks terrible as the gloss highlights any flaws.
Then decals (going on over gloss prevents silvering), then more gloss clear, then washes in panel lines etc and finally satin clear.

Only problem is that I am impatient and keep forgetting to let the various clears harden sufficiently before handling.  This results in fingerprints...

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on October 10, 2016, 02:16:11 AM

Only problem is that I am impatient

The bane of my modelling life  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Flyer

I'm impatient too, along with being short tempered and add in a short attention span, trembling hands etc... = consistently frustrated modelling, R/C & plastics. :angry:

Quote from: zenrat on October 10, 2016, 02:16:11 AM
Yes, satin after decals.
My routine is paint then gloss clear.  At which point it looks terrible as the gloss highlights any flaws.
Then decals (going on over gloss prevents silvering), then more gloss clear, then washes in panel lines etc and finally satin clear.

Thanks Fred, I will take note of that for future builds. :thumbsup: This Buffalo will have to be simply paint with decals on top as I have no clear of any type and no way of buying any anytime soon, I'd also like to at least finish one model for a GB I've entered into (3 stalled projects over 2 GB's so far :banghead:) and I'm running out of modelling time before I need to concentrate on some RL issues fast.

Flyer

Quote from: Flyer on October 11, 2016, 08:59:24 PM
This Buffalo will have to be simply paint with decals on top as I have no clear of any type and no way of buying any anytime soon

I typed the above before going into town to pay bills etc... When I went into a second hand shop while doing so I spotted a Hasegawa B-26 F/G Marauder for $30 AU that I had to put a deposit on that I couldn't really spend. :banghead: Really need a slapping hand smiley. :rolleyes:

Flyer

Here is how it's going, clear parts are only sitting on as I still need to clean up some of the framing.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Flyer

:cheers:

Just found out now when I went to paint it that I should have had the hook deployed while putting the (not original) tailwheel in place, some errant glue found it's way to it and now it's fixed in place, it's still loose at the very tail end but refuses to come out. I've stopped trying to move it before it breaks off. :banghead:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.