I hate biplanes and Mirages

Started by Modelling_Mushi, October 01, 2016, 09:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Modelling_Mushi

Thanks guys!

While I'm waiting for the Sockeyes tail fin to set I did a bit more on the Lightning. The Sockeye now has all her flying surfaces on and setting, so she's getting close.

For the Lightning, first up I've settled on the armament mix, I wanted it too look like a weapons trials aircraft (after all that's what the WHIFF is about) and I think this does it. It's also a MLU airframe which will explain the mix a bit. I thought long and hard about popping the AIM-9s on the wingtips but it does not seem right somehow. Also toyed with keeping the Redtops but as we ditched the Magics on the IIIO for AIM-9s I have also ditched the Redtops for AIM-9s. Quick shot below:

I've played around with the fuselage and fin and I have dumped the idea of using the Tornado's fin - it's just too darned distinctive and seems to unbalance the whole aircraft so off it stays. The 3 cm plug seems right and the intake and nose also appear to be OK given a bit of PSR and patience. Taped together mockup of major bits as below:

Till next time, Ciao
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

zenrat

Albatross looks great.  Love the colours.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Frightning is looking interesting. <_<
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

That turned out great!!  I love it, it's so odd and yet so right! 

Lookin' forward to more.    ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Modelling_Mushi

OK, so it's been a month and a little has happened ... blame it on SWMBO for breaking her foot and me playing nurse ...

Anyhow, the Sockeye is having her gloss coat loaded and should be done in a little bit. I've made progress with the Lightning and she is starting to look like I wanted her to.

I've glued the fuselage together and filled in the gaps created by the extension. It fits well - I think - and I've been successful in leaving the wing roots intact but making the 3cm insertion right on where the main spar is, so she looks - sorta - balanced. Transition from a nose breather to a belly breather is looking good, thanks to Vostok.

So the move from nose to belly is facilitated by a chopped down F-16 intake as you can see. Yes, it is a touch small when going at slow speeds but when pushing along it would be fine. I'm taking a cue from something I saw over at NAS Fallon last year, an F-5E aggressor with auxiliary intakes for low speed work, so I'm adding these in but in the closed position and outlined only. You can see the revised main wheel bay further back and the 6 underwing hardpoints where the u/c used to be.

I was going to bolt a Tornado fin on as is but, honestly, it's way too distinctive. I figured out the thing I liked were the vents in and out, so I chopped off the lower part and glued the Lightning fin onto what was left. I'm thinking this gives me the extra keel area I wanted, plus the intakes/exhausts, and a nicely bifurcated APU intake at the fin base. I've yet to shape the thing and to extend the rudder down.

Hopefully I can get this one done in time for the end of the GB.

Ciao!
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Hobbes

Interesting technique for building the floats, I may have to borrow that sometime....

RAFF-35

Looks a bit like an xf-103 from the side  :thumbsup:  looks fantastic and I'm loving watching how perfectly precise you are when you work, it's really satisfying  ;D
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

zenrat

Quote from: RAFF-35 on November 27, 2016, 11:27:14 PM
...'m loving watching how perfectly precise you are when you work, it's really satisfying  ;D

It all looks very neat and tidy <shudder>
How can you work amongst such cleanliness?
;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on November 28, 2016, 01:26:19 AM
Quote from: RAFF-35 on November 27, 2016, 11:27:14 PM
...'m loving watching how perfectly precise you are when you work, it's really satisfying  ;D

It all looks very neat and tidy <shudder>
How can you work amongst such cleanliness?
;D

He told you in the post. He's a temporary nurse and cleanliness goes with it  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Wow. Phenomenal builds ! Love the funky WWI stuff...how cool is that ! The new Lightning is just awesome as well. Super.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Modelling_Mushi

Well, I can hear the fat guy and his buggy hurtling around so I guess the GBs coming to an end. Thankfully, I've got one more finished.

Here she is, the Sopwith Sockeye. It's a modified Airfix 1/72  Sopwith Camel with Albatross DVa mainplane (upper) forming the monoplane and a pilot figure from the same (from the kit used for the first build), scratchbuilt floats, fuse wire "wires" (what else would you use wire for  :lol:), and kit decals. Tried to give her a worn and weary look, white oils used on top to fade the olive a bit, paynes grey on the sides and burnt umber / sienna around the engine. Undersides I used a Tamiya smoke wash. All brush painted. Floats and prop done using flesh undercoat and streaky brown on top, followed with gloss for the prop and matt for the floats.

Unfortunately I will not get around to finishing the Lightning (hey, 2 outta 3 aint bad according to Meatloaf) and it will probably feature on the 2017 'clear your workbench GB' somewhere as I will be out of action from Feb to May next year.

Ciao

PR19_Kit

Excellent stuff there, love the MONSTER roundels on that wing.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I really like that  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Can see it operating somewhere in the Eastern Med