#1 DONE +++ Supermarine Jetfire Mk.I, 'YQ-G' of RAF 616 Sq., 1945 (pics @p.2)

Started by Dizzyfugu, October 02, 2016, 10:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

So, here we go. Let's start with the ingredients: a FROG Spitfire Mki. XIV (originally from 1969, with a V1 included, plus dual display) and a KP Yak-23 w/o box (AFAIK the mould was created in 1981).

1:72 Supermarine "Jetfire", early 1945 (Whif/Kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

And then directly into the action. First steps circle around the problem where to make the cuts on both kits. The good news is that the Yak-23's  Derwent nose is almost as long as the Griffon on the Spitfire, so that length is not a major proportions issue:

1:72 Supermarine "Jetfire", early 1945 (Whif/Kitbashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

From that basis, the Griffon was cut away in front of the Spitfire's cockpit, with the moulded dashboard and the wing roots still intact:

The "mirror cut" on the Yak-23 was a bit more tricky, since I wanted to save the exhaust pipe, placing it under the fuselage just as onboard of the Yak-23:

Anyway, dry-fitting the nose revealed that, once the wings would be mounted, almost nothing of the exhaust tunnel would be left - I'd either have to semi-bury it, or add a deep fairing with a distinctive and rather ugly belly. Since the central, low exhaust also bears the indirect challenge of protecting the tail wheel (the Jetfire will keep the Spitfire's tail sitter layout, it's just intended to be a quickly re-engined aircraft), I went for a bifurcated twin exhaust, running along the wing roots to the trailing edge. This solution also offers a neat option to blend the wide and round Yak-23 nose with the much more slender Spitfire fuselage.

More to follow soon.

Captain Canada

Nice start ! They do fit together really well eh !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Thank you very much. Thought so, too when I held the parts together for the first time.

BTW, there's more progress - the wings. A convenient "flaw" of the FROG Spitfire is that the radiators are just glued to the plain wing undersurface, so that they are easy to omit and any sign of attachment can be easily hidden:

And here's a dry-fitted overall layout view:

The Griffon's carburetor intake will disappear, but in this view you see how little of the Yak-23 exhaust pipe is left to keep, maybe 2mm, if at all! Anyway, the combo looks very natural, if not elegant, I did not expect these good looks for such a crude hybrid!  :unsure:

Furthermore, I drilled the Yak-23's vertical intake splitter away since it does not make sense on this aircraft layout - even though I am still wondering what to put inside instead? Probably a round central bullet.

perttime

Real world British Derwent installations had some sort of splitters or baffles too.

W4041/G Gloster E28/39 by eLaReF, on Flickr

Gloster Meteor Derwent 8 jet engine by Allan McBain, on Flickr

---
Yak with a DB 605 might look interesting, too...

Dizzyfugu

I am aware of these - but the Gloster E.28/39 had to hise the front wheel somewhere (just like the Yak-23) and on the Meteor the front wing spar goes right through the air intake. Both are not applicable to the Jetfire's layout.
Anyway, I found a solution: the intake will feature a fine mesh FOD guard (vaguely inspired by the MetroVick F.2/40 Meteor) and a central bullet that will slightly protrude from the intake opening.

Dizzyfugu

Progress on the exhaust installation, basically created from styrene tubes; the "sidepipes" are a good way to hide the diameter gap between the Derwent nose section and the much slimmer Spitfire fuselage:

Does not look bad at all!  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

ysi_maniac

May I suggest something for remaining pieces?

Will die without understanding this world.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: ysi_maniac on October 04, 2016, 03:07:59 PM
May I suggest something for remaining pieces?

Yes, Carlos, you can. Great concept(?). And it confirms my impression what a nose replacement with a prop might look like...  :unsure:

Would make a great racer, though, esp. with the Griffon? The engine the FROG kit lost is already earmarked for another project, but I have a P-51 Merlin from a Matchbox kit somewhere...  :wacko:

RAFF-35

This is so pretty already  :thumbsup: you any idea about its backstory yet?  :lol:
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

ChernayaAkula

Lovely work so far.  :thumbsup:

Two different kinds of putty?
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: RAFF-35 on October 05, 2016, 09:40:00 AM
This is so pretty already  :thumbsup: you any idea about its backstory yet?  :lol:

Sure! No work without concept.  ;D

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on October 05, 2016, 12:13:20 PM
Lovely work so far.  :thumbsup:

Two different kinds of putty?

Thank you. And, yes, different materials. The white stuff is a car body putty, similar to Revell's Plasto. It is more "stable" and I use it most of the time for bigger/deeper work areas, when I need to "add flesh". The greenish stuff is another NC putty for cars, but it's finer, more flexible and also a bit harder/less prone to abrasives, for the final coat and surface work. It's always funny to see the shaggy result of the different layers - but there's not much behind that.  ;)