Hotspur- Amphibious Assault +

Started by sandiego89, October 05, 2016, 05:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

I'm in.

Hotspur- Amphibious Assault

The invasion of Tarawa provided some harsh lessons for assault planners.  Many boats were unable to cross the fringing reef and Marines were forced to wade ashore hundreds of yards exposed to neck deep water and withering fire.  Armored tractors were part of the solution, but were in short supply and were still slow and vulnerable.  US planners desired gliders that could land in few feet of water and run up right on the shore.  As many US gliders were of the tube and fabric design, a more robust wooden design was needed to get small squads ashore quickly, primarily to land light machine gun squads to provide cover for more traditional landing forces. 

The Hotspur was quickly modified for water operations and rushed into service.  A variety of US and Canadian firms, including several furniture companies, produced the Hotspur under license.   Droppable wheels allowed for a land take off, usually behind a C-47, but the Hotspur could also be towed by a PBM or PBY for water takeoff.  The Hotspurs were deemed expendable. 

The kits- kit bash of two suitably old molds- ~100 years combined!
1/72 Hotspur, Novo rebox of the old 1963 mold
1/72 Kingfisher, Lindberg rebox (1981) of the 196x mold

Gotta love the brown and blue sprue colors!

-Dave

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

zenrat

Given the small size of the Hotspur would it have been feasible to have launched them off carriers towed by something like a stripped down Dauntless or Helldiver?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Hehehe, a floatplane Hotspur! That's REALLY out in left field.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I like the idea. The Japanese Navy had amphibious gliders for it's own assault troops. Don't know if they were used operationally however
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

Neat idea. Nice that you're staying afloat  :thumbsup: And like you say, love the old coloured sprues as well !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

The original FROG Hotspur kits were moulded in bright YELLOW too!

Ah, you can't see it of course, it should be                    YELLOW.   
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Work has begun, the Novo (brown) plastic is a bit like hard cheese....

I was debating float vs blended hull, and decided to go with float as a plausible low risk, quick lash up for emergency war use- yes there will be a drag penalty...

Dave "Sandiego89"

Seabo14

Very nice looking! ;) What scheme are you leaning to? IMO this would really suit SEAC camo  :lol:

jcf

:thumbsup:

The USN did have a development program for amphibious flying-boat assault gliders during WWII,
two prototypes each were built by two manufacturers to a preliminary design developed
by the Naval Aircraft Factory.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_XLRQ

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/glider/xlrq1.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_Aviation_XLRA

http://www.microworks.net/PACIFIC/aviation/gliders.htm

ericr

Any aircraft can be improved by fitting floats

and indeed floatplane gliders existed : the german had a few, and also the soviets

sandiego89

Thanks jon- those prototypes sure were ugly!  Perfect WHIF fodder.

Markings are to be decided.  Was leaning towards US Navy, but also Army and Marine schemes could work- I could see scenarios where any of the services would be the providers of the aircraft and pilots.  Army Air Corps was more versed with glider pilots.....

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Primer on, and scratched up float supports from oblong sprue.  Was spraying it outside and dropped it it the grass- of course the tacky paint picked up everything in the yard. :angry:

The Hotspur does seem to be under-represented as a WHIF subject....

Dave "Sandiego89"

RAFF-35

Very interesting build, and yes you're right, I'd never considered the Hotspur for whiffing potential before, the fuselage looks like some virgin galactic vessel or something  :lol:
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

sandiego89

Quote from: RAFF-35 on October 10, 2016, 11:46:30 AM
Very interesting build, and yes you're right, I'd never considered the Hotspur for whiffing potential before, the fuselage looks like some virgin galactic vessel or something  :lol:

It is a really sleek fuselage- ruined when the canopy goes on....Could be a racer fuselage, tilt rotor- etc...
Dave "Sandiego89"