XP-76 Double Lightning

Started by Scotaidh, October 06, 2016, 05:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

I didn't think I'd ever come back to this topic, but I wanted to link to it in a recent post, and discovered that none of the links can be seen due to Photoshop's expanded sense of self-worth.  The images have been re-located to Imgur, and I will now re-post them here so my referral will work.

Concept drawing

The wing had to be considerably enlarged to maintain the straight lines of the leading and trailing edges.

The weight of the quadruple tails meant that the nose had to be extended simply to provide room for all the needed counterweight - lead slugs intended for a black powder rifle.

The nacelles also had to become weight-bearing.

Fortunately, it all looked OK in the end.

The USAAF/USAF don't use any specific prototype markings (like the RAF yellow under-surfaces and circled "P" on the tail), so I had to invent one - the 'P' on the tails.

Beauty Shot 1

Beauty Shot 2
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Tophe

Thanks for this update! I plan to play with the line drawing again... :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on February 28, 2019, 05:02:10 AM
I plan to play with the line drawing again... :thumbsup:
You may know that I prefer twin-booms than quadruple-booms...

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Lord_Voyager

Those look interesting... Fuels the imagination. How about an illustration where the booms are on the inside (and maybe a bit longer) and then two more engines outside?

Tophe

Quote from: Lord_Voyager on February 28, 2019, 07:52:27 AM
How about an illustration where the booms are on the inside (and maybe a bit longer) and then two more engines outside?
Scotaidh, will you draw the Lord_Voyager 6-engined Lightning or should I do that myself? This is your topic... your property... ;)
Here is my 6-engined one: ;D

Scotaidh

Quote from: Tophe on February 28, 2019, 08:21:56 AM
Quote from: Lord_Voyager on February 28, 2019, 07:52:27 AM
How about an illustration where the booms are on the inside (and maybe a bit longer) and then two more engines outside?
Scotaidh, will you draw the Lord_Voyager 6-engined Lightning or should I do that myself? This is your topic... your property... ;)
Here is my 6-engined one: ;D

Tophe, feel free, my friend!  I've done my bit - now everyone else who wishes may have theirs.  :)  So far as I'm concerned, my 'preoperty' begins and ends with the model.  the drawing was just a cut-and-paste in Windows Paint.  :)

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Tophe

Thanks Scotaidh!
So, here is the P-76LV, if I have well understood:

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Lord_Voyager

My goodness... The extra tail length puts it into the realm of 'possible'... I must have a couple of the old monogram P-38 kits hanging around... I wonder how hard the process would be.

Thanks!

Scotaidh

Quote from: Lord_Voyager on February 28, 2019, 12:17:09 PM
My goodness... The extra tail length puts it into the realm of 'possible'... I must have a couple of the old monogram P-38 kits hanging around... I wonder how hard the process would be.

Thanks!

Widening the undercarriage bays to accommodate the two wheels of the mains was a challenge.  Two of the empennages - the inner ones, IIRC - had to be lengthened because the wing sweep meant the outers stuck further out the back in order to keep the tail-plane straight.  Had I know I was going to end up lengthening the nose I'd have made it a two-seater with the radar guy in the back.  If I ws to do it again I'd widen the cockpit to have the two guys side by side, with a rest area behind the seats - port-a-potty, sleeping area, coffee pot - all the stuff you'd need for a round-trip flight to Tokyo from Pearl Harbor. 

chrisonord

That is impressive, it could be a photo recon bird, at high altitude
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?