XP-76 Double Lightning

Started by Scotaidh, October 06, 2016, 05:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

It could carry as many bombs as a B-17!
This is awesome. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

In 1944, when the RAF wanted to buy the Lightning PR19, the American P-76 was candidate but General Kit refused it, arguing "the huge span is very good but 4 engines is too much", so the P-38HS (HugeSpan?) was designed, and mass ordered as Lightning PR19, in 20,000 copies (before cancellation alas):
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

FANTASTIC!  :thumbsup:

I LOVE it!  :wub:

But being a tad JMNish I think the USAAC would have called it an F-6, previous PR Lightnings being F-4s and F-5s.

Maybe an F-19?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

Quote from: Tophe on March 06, 2019, 02:12:03 AM
In 1944, when the RAF wanted to buy the Lightning PR19, the American P-76 was candidate but General Kit refused it, arguing "the huge span is very good but 4 engines is too much", so the P-38HS (HugeSpan?) was designed, and mass ordered as Lightning PR19, in 20,000 copies (before cancellation alas):

LOL!!  I never thought of that, Tophe!  :D  You never cease to amaze me, sir.  :D 
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

kerick

Quote from: Scotaidh on March 06, 2019, 12:56:39 PM

LOL!!  I never thought of that, Tophe!  :D  You never cease to amaze me, sir.  :D

Now fit some Griffon engines and contra rotating props!  :wacko:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Scotaidh

Quote from: kerick on March 06, 2019, 08:44:43 PM

I was thinking more of  Sea Fury-esque five-bladed monsters - handed, of course. ;)

So - who's gonna build this monster?

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scotaidh on March 07, 2019, 01:18:03 AM
Quote from: kerick on March 06, 2019, 08:44:43 PM

I was thinking more of  Sea Fury-esque five-bladed monsters - handed, of course. ;)

So - who's gonna build this monster?

Just give me time................  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

There were other versions of P-76:

Scotaidh

Quote from: Tophe on March 08, 2019, 12:41:17 AM
There were other versions of P-76:

Ah, yes - the troop-carrying versions.   ;)  The third one was used to insert covert spy teams - they'd simply open the rear hatch of their nacelle and parachute to the ground.  In this way, two teams of four could be inserted anywhere within the aircraft's range.  With other P-38s flying night missions in the area to confuse any listeners on the ground, it was a very secure method of insertion.

;)

Tophe

Thanks for this Historical explanation!
Here is a slanting view of these 3 ones:

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

comrade harps

I really like the long nose. It adds to the excess of the whole thing. Rather like the long bonnet and long boot of a "yank tank" sedan.  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

Tophe

It seems several P-76 were converted into P-76-II:

andys

Presumably the 8-engined one had a combat radius of 20 miles or so and an endurance of 15 minutes, due to the fuel consumption?  :wacko: :wacko: