XP-76 Double Lightning

Started by Scotaidh, October 06, 2016, 05:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

or... what-if it had a round-the-World range? (taking off with a huge amount of fuel, the 8 engines being enough to take speed, then in flight 7 engines were shut down, with only one engine for cruise flight). = What-if the Double-Lightning used the Voyager's principle? ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

The P-76A was described as "different" from the XP-76, maybe A was meaning asymmetric?

Scotaidh

Quote from: andys on March 24, 2019, 03:18:55 PM
Presumably the 8-engined one had a combat radius of 20 miles or so and an endurance of 15 minutes, due to the fuel consumption?  :wacko: :wacko:

But as a flying engine-test bed it remains unequaled!  ;)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scotaidh on March 25, 2019, 01:48:47 AM
Quote from: andys on March 24, 2019, 03:18:55 PM
Presumably the 8-engined one had a combat radius of 20 miles or so and an endurance of 15 minutes, due to the fuel consumption?  :wacko: :wacko:

But as a flying engine-test bed it remains unequaled!  ;)

Especially as it could test more than one new engine type at the same time!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

The P-76C was not twin-boom but its front part and rear part were both twin-boom:

Tophe

ericr

Scotaidh

Quote from: Tophe on March 26, 2019, 09:41:46 AM
Slanting view of the P-76C:

It seems to me that with the guns located as normal - in the nose - that you'd lose the canard in the first few seconds of firing.  :)  I guess, if one were to put the armament in the 'forward empennages' then the canard would survive. 

Darnit!  Now I have to build this ...  grrr.   ;)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

I'm sure they could align the guns so they'd moss the canard, after all they could aim them so they all converged at 200 yards or so, didn't they?

It might get a bit smoky after a few ops though.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

In my dream, the Lightning is civilian so there is no problem of gun/canard compatibility... ;) :-\ ;D

ericr

Tophe

Thanks!

Quote from: Tophe on March 27, 2019, 01:54:09 AM
In my dream, the Lightning is civilian so there is no problem of gun/canard compatibility... ;) :-\ ;D
Even without killing bullets, I can understand: on the observation/tourism version, there should be no foreplane in front of the pod:

ericr

Tophe

Thanks!
And, you know, the 7-engined P-76Z made the He-111Z look simple...:

Tophe

Slanting view of the P-76Z:

Dear Scotaidh, if ever you build a second XP-76, mixing both would be possible... ;D