The Peashooter goes to the Middle East

Started by NARSES2, October 06, 2016, 06:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Noice!  :thumbsup:

Can't quite tell for certain but it looks like Revell got the wings correct on the Peashooter with the
flat stub-wing centre section and dihedral only on the outer wing panels outboard of the undercarriage,
Hobbycraft got that wrong on their, otherwise very nice, 1/48th rendition.

Yeah, some of those Revell 1/72 from the '60s are really quite nice, I built the PZL P.11C about
thirty odd years ago and was impressed by the fineness of the corrugations. Covered it in
cigarette foil to lok like the Gnome powered prototype from the Paris Salon. Used it as an Xmas
tree ornament for a couple of years, now long gone alas.

Captain Canada

I built this kit for the BoB build very nice  :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

As noted in my Blog I finally got back to the bench  :thumbsup:

She now has her transfers on and I've started on the rudder stripes. Also made my "last bits and bobs to be done notes". After that it's time for the rigging  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: Flyer on November 22, 2016, 07:27:30 AM
:mellow: P-26 is a neat looking plane, just a thought about the rigging, how about a strut braced version, could have a strut between the trousers and a V-strut going from each trouser to were the wires go...

Aerofoil struts ? Interesting idea.

The kit already had the holes drilled for the rigging when I got it and it was sealed in the box ???:unsure: So it will be the first time I try Uschi rigging thread. If that doesn't work I've laid my hands on some extremely thin wire in lengths via an old contact in the steel industry who I meet up with for a pint every now and then and who is still toiling away  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

The Curtiss XP-31 Swift used struts in that way and the installation was higher drag than the wires used by Boeing.

Which is why Boeing went for wire-bracing over struts or a cantilever wing, which they had already designed.  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 23, 2016, 11:56:24 AM
The Curtiss XP-31 Swift used struts in that way and the installation was higher drag than the wires used by Boeing.

Which is why Boeing went for wire-bracing over struts or a cantilever wing, which they had already designed.  ;D

Cheers Jon. I've got a resin kit of the XP-31, it's an attractive looking aircraft

NARSES2

Kit just needs a matt coat and then it's the rigging.

I'm going to clear the decks for this, take it slowly and not allow any other project to distract me whilst doing it. We shall see

Dizzyfugu

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

Yeah, I'm with these fellers. That's going to be awesome. GL on the rigging... steel yourself for battle! :D :D
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

You'll be fine Chris.  No top wing to get in the way.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Cheers lads

It's all ready to go but I want to wait until I have a clear day with nothing else lined up. Looks like that will be Thursday.

NARSES2

Right.

Ended up with a couple of clear hours yesterday so started the rigging. First thought was to thread the rigging material down through the holes the previous owner had drilled. There was no way I could persuade the thread to go through the holes and exit the other side  :banghead: So after 20 minutes fruitless effort I gave up and decided to do upper and lower wing rigging separately.

The Uschi Van de rigging thread is extremely elastic and surprisingly not a monofilment, guess how I found that out ? It also seems to be very much to the carpet monster's taste, who seemed to snatch it off the desk when I wasn't looking  :rolleyes:

Anyway the upper wing rigging went reasonably well so I left it overnight.

Started the under wing rigging this morning and it didn't go anywhere near as well. To be honest it was cold in the model room which effected my hand/eye coordination as well as the way the superglue behaved. Anyway I did eventually get the under wing rigging done but it's not as neat as the uppers, which isn't brilliant anyway.

After that I gave up and went for a walk and a coffee. Whilkst out I had to go into my local £ shop and saw some decorating brushes and had a lightbulb moment. £1 was handed over and I had 3 large decorating brushes (blonde not black). On getting home I just had the rigging between the spats, or are they trousers  ?, to do. So I measured the distance using my inside calipers (I need a new pair) and cut two of the individual brush hairs to length and super glued them into the appropriate holes, or near as goes anyway. Worked well and would be suitable for more general rigging in 1/72, plus you really do get a life times supply of threads for a £1.

So the rigging is done. I'm quite pleased with it but it is a little messy in places. So what have I learned in the process ? Firstly I probably got this A about F and should have started with the wires between the spats, then underneath, finishing with the upper wing. Secondly if I do make and rig a WWI aircraft it will be in 1/48 or 1/32. 1/72 is really just a tad small for my shaky hands (comes with age  :-\) and current eye problem.

I do feel as though I've achieved something and I am pleased I did it, so thanks for the encouragement lads.

Just needs a little very careful touching up and then she's done, so early next week hopefully. Busy for the next few days.

Chris

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Killer tip on the brush thing!!!   Glad you fought it and it worked out in the end and the lightbulb moment made it all worth it.  Another new tool and method in the arsenal.
-Sprues McDuck-