Trident K2

Started by JayBee, October 07, 2016, 09:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightflyer

Quote from: JayBee on October 09, 2016, 09:00:51 AM

Thank you gentlemen, and Whiffers, for your thoughts on this subject. I have spent the last two days thinking about it.
Prior to that I had come up with various ideas as to where to put the refueliing drogue housings.

1/ Fit them outboard from where the wing fences are just as Knightflyer did in his Trident.   http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,41101.msg699793.html#msg699793

But this would not work as you would only be able to tank one fighter at a time, the drogue units being too close together.

Well I was planning to bring my Trident to this party, but I can now NOT be guilty of self-promotion as JayBee has mentioned it  ;D

The key ingredient with my Trident of course was " There were initial concerns about the proximity of the fuselage refuelling points to the number two engine exhaust, which meant that only the K.1B version was operated at first. This was overcome by the use of 'biased' refuelling hose technology which meant that the central hose 'sagged' lower and the two wing mounted hoses 'veered' further out from the centre-line, ensuring the safe use of all three points."

The biasing technology was of course manufactured from Unobtainium!  :o :rolleyes:
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

PR19_Kit

So did the 'biasing technology' consist of a damn great weight?  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 11, 2016, 08:52:22 AM
So did the 'biasing technology' consist of a damn great weight?  ;D ;)

Well seeing how many British jets flew with 'ballast' of some form post-war it could be seen as an application of a standard British engineering technique!  :rolleyes:

I was thinking more along the lines of some form of shaped vanes that would redirect the air flow, however..... whatever floats your boat (or not as the case may be with 'a damn great weight'!)  ;D

JayBee

Well, it is obvious, given the highly variable Specific Gravity of Unobtanium, it can be as light or heavy as required. So a small piece of heavy is all that would be required to get the drogues to sit lower. Simples!
How to get the outer drogues to move outwards. Well as you know Kit I am a signatory of the Official Secrets Act and that remains in place until One shuffles off this mortal coil, so I am not in any position to divulge what I know about this matter.  :wacko:

KF are you going to be at Telford, and are you going to bring your Trident. I will do my damnest to get mine finished and it would be great to see two different approaches to the same situation side by side.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

JayBee

Work continues, the refueling pods have been attached to the wing tips but need a bit of PSR done on them before it progresses further.

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Knightflyer

Ohhhhhhh. I like those. Very Much  ;D

Gondor

That looks very nice Jim  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

JayBee

A little more progress. That is the wings finished (he said hopefully).

Cats are not real. 

PR19_Kit

Longer wings! Yeeeeaaaah!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: Gondor on October 12, 2016, 11:45:29 PM
That looks very nice Jim  :thumbsup:

Gondor

And it looked even better in person at Glasgow yesterday  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitnut617

Interesting take on where to put the pods Jim, but a question on the technical side ----

The pods are hollow and have a large long reel which the hose wraps around, the axle for it runs longitude to the pod with supports at each end. So how do the wingtips attach to it ? theoretically that is ---   ;D 
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

JayBee

Well they are definitely not part of the main wing structure, they are what would later be as a form of winglets. The brackets to hold them were forged from Unobtainium, which gives all the required strength.   :rolleyes:

Cats are not real. 

PR19_Kit

Unobtanium ring frames would do the job, and strengthen the pods at the same time, even though only needing to be 0.25" thick.  ;)

Regards
Kit

lenny100

you could have the pipes ruining in a tube along the inside the wing and a couple of drums in the fuselage
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike