A better career for the Savoia-Marchetti S.74?

Started by Default Setting, October 11, 2016, 11:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Default Setting

The Savoia-Marchetti S.74 was an elegant four-engine airplane developed in 1934, which proved serviceable and low-maintenance both as a civilian airliner and a military transport. It was used among other roles for the Rome-Marseille-Lyon-Paris route. However only three were built. Could the type have enjoyed more success whether in Italy or internationally?

The one duty we owe to history is to rewrite it.
-- Oscar Wilde

zenrat

It was a mistake.  It was meant to have three engines but they got drunk and it seemed like a good idea at the time...

It is very elegant.  Would look good in smoke rings with paratroopers streaming out of it.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Librarian

Not too sure how narrow that fuselage is, but if the Carvair and Bristol Freighter were designed for cars then this plane looks ideal for Vespas!

Default Setting

Quote from: zenrat on October 12, 2016, 04:13:54 AM
It is very elegant.  Would look good in smoke rings with paratroopers streaming out of it.
Like this?  <_<

-- Oscar Wilde

Default Setting

Quote from: Librarian on October 12, 2016, 05:46:28 AM
Not too sure how narrow that fuselage is, but if the Carvair and Bristol Freighter were designed for cars then this plane looks ideal for Vespas!
I don't have the exact dimensions, but there was room for three rows of seats inside.

Something I'm thinking of, is that it would be a nice design for second-tier powers with a domestic aircraft engine industry that doesn't have the technological know-how to assemble powerplants above the 700-800 HP range, which was a challenge in the mid-1930s.
-- Oscar Wilde

NARSES2

I've not seen that before, interesting looking aircraft  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..