How do you hang your builds from the ceiling

Started by McColm, October 12, 2016, 11:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi Guys,
What's the best way to hang your builds from the ceiling?

kerick

The best method I've used is to make a loop of fishing line and loop it under the fuselage in front of and behind the wings.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Librarian

Def. fishing line. Thinner the better...almost invisiblises against a white ceiling. When you tie the knot add a drop of superglue for piece of mind :thumbsup:.

TheChronicOne

I'd like to address the ceiling for a moment...   (lol)   

Make sure you use something at least about a couple inches long and when you drive them into the ceiling (I recomend brad nails)  do it at an angle and then one going back the other way then loop your line arounr it right at the top. This way it won't "pull" back out of the ceiling.

I made a crappy MS paint picture:

If you go straight in or only use one, the possibility of it sliding out exists. Doing it this way the angles work against each other and it would take a substantial bit of force to pull it out.

2 inch brad nails.

They're thin, less noticeable, and can be bought in white or off whitish color which will match most ceilings.
-Sprues McDuck-

sandiego89

Thirded on fishing line.  I have used a spool of 6 pound test and they have hung many models for years without incident. 

I use cup or eye hooks that screw into the ceiling.  I feel having the screw threads makes it much more secure than a nail and easier to hang or remove the model if you want to take it down.   The eye also allows a natural balance point.   

Here is a 1/32 F-104 that has hung for years in my garage on a single cup hook and a single piece of fishing line that has a loop circling both the rear and forward end of the fuselage.  The eye hook goes direct into the cottage cheese drywall ceiling.  1/700 MACON behind it. 

I took these in a dark room with flash, so the line shows up very well in these photos, but in person the line is much less visible.  Concur with Librarian that it is almost invisible against a white ceiling. 

My 1/72 B-36 is hung beneath small (1/144) stash shelf in the garage.  Hanging was the best option for such a huge model, but for some reason Mrs. Sandiego89 did not want it in our living room. :rolleyes:  I used screws to tie off the fishing line, and two strands under the fuselage, and a third on one wing.  I wanted extra "just in case" lines on this one.   

I have also use small eye hooks screwed directly into the top of a model, but finding the center of gravity can be a problem.  It does allow a bit less exposed line, but just looping around the fuselage works fine.

Again the line is almost invisible in person, but this harsh flash helps show the set up.     

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

TheChronicOne

....Mrs. Sandiego89 did not want it in our living room. :rolleyes:   Haha!!!   

Looks like some real good advice, here! ^ 
-Sprues McDuck-

McColm

Old Wombat

I don't ... Tanks look silly hanging from the ceiling! :wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

I just broached the subject of hanging builds from the ceiling with Mrs z.  I got The Look.

When I was a kid I used to drill a hole in the top of the plane and glue an L shaped piece of sprue into the hole and tie a thick piece of black cotton thread to it.  I attached the thread to the ceiling by tieing a loop in it then hooking the loop round a drawing pin (thumb tack for Americans - drearing pun for kiwis ;D) which I them pushed into the ceiling.  Nothing ever fell and I used this method for everything up to and including 1/72 B17 and C130.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

Pretty much all of the above. I mostly use thread tho. My LHS guy just super glues the thread to his models.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JayBee

I don't anymore. I used to but that would be some 50+ years ago.  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on October 13, 2016, 04:43:16 AM
I don't anymore. I used to but that would be some 50+ years ago.  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

What Jim said, and I NEVER have................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

What Jim and Kit said. Stopped when I got dive bombed by a Sunderland one night  :o
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!