(DONE..FINALLY, sheesh! LOL) F/U-2 H.A.W.K., Vietnam era warbird (Pics page 14)

Started by TheChronicOne, October 12, 2016, 01:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Progress! I love when a plan comes together.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

Yeah buddy, coming together like a set of butt cheeks!

Moving forward.. I must be losing my damned mind because I think what want to do, right now, to solve my radome problem is to cast my own piece using resin.  I have some crafting clay stuff that I can plunge the tip of the external tank from my Super Hornet into then I'll put something in the middle (more clay, probably) attached to a needle to create the hollow space (I ain't tryin to waste my resin) then I'll mix up a batch o' resin and MAKE MY OWN radome.

I want to try to keep the tank for the Super Hornet. Besides, I've been wanting to try making my own parts with clay and resin and this is an extremely simple thing to cast; so why not. If I fail, I still retain plan B which is to simply use the front of the external tank.

I'll be sure to snap pictures. 

Y'all got me sawing stuff and making my own parts now...God help us all...    ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

NOTE TO SELF:

Sand away the guiding pins next time. Sheesh. (fuselage has one hell of a step on top and bottom both on about the rear 1/2. The front 1/2 lined up well, though.. )

:banghead: :banghead:

Anyway, I set up my resin mold and will attempt to utilize it tomorrow.  One beer and part of a mixed drink into the evening and I don't like to model with a good buzz when I need to do the more tedious aspects of a build. At most I will mask along the seams in preperation for filler and will call it.

Might fiddle with one or both of my other GB builds a bit, though. In fact, I did some sanding and clean up on my Yak and already hit it with a coat of primer. It's the one closest to completion.

Any how.. last thing I want to do is push this thing too far too fast. 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

OK, I wasn't planning on it but I felt the urge and was stoked about it so I picked this up and broke out the largest file I currently have inside the house and solved the stepping problem along the seams of the two main fusealge halve. It was tedious trying not to erase panel lines at the very top but the shape of the thing lends itself to filing... there's a ridge all the way down the top and bottom both, so other than small bits, most of the detail was retained. I'll need to skim coat it with thin filler (I use Bic correction fluid) and do a bit more sanding and that task is out of the way.

Also, the resin casting experiment is under way. I think I reamed the hole out a bit too large but hopefully that won't be an issue. I'm going to let it harden up a solid two more days...  being in the midst of all that clay, I'm not sure how much that extends the curing time, if at all, because of lack of air circulating around. As I said, worse comes to worse I'll simply use the external fuel tank itself and be good to go.

That said, motivation has struck again to pick up the MiG 27  (F-110B Vulture time traveling alternate history build) and I would like to work on it some! It's been about a week since I fiddled with anything other than sanding the seams on some of the ordinance and fuel tanks.
-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

Just don't forget the mold release agent. Some use a light coat of vegetable oil, some use a light oil. I've even heard of talcum powder.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

Thank you, much, but it's too late. I simply mixed up the dope then dumped it into the hole a couple days ago. I'll post pictures of it all at some point.

(sounds kinky)..   Anyway.. I'm the patient type so I'll let the thing sit around awhile to harden a good deal then clean all the clay off after to see what I have. I'll tackle the imperfections with a bit of sanding & hopefully that will take care of it.

-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 14, 2016, 07:43:09 AM
My first TRUE venture into scratch building. I mean. I made a fake radar array for my American Yak but that was just sprue glued together with paper clips.  lol

So, this is, really, your second foray into scratch building! :thumbsup:

Or, perhaps more accurately, your first foray into kitbashing? ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

Can´t wait to see what's coming out of this one, sure sounds interesting! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 17, 2016, 01:57:06 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 14, 2016, 07:43:09 AM
My first TRUE venture into scratch building. I mean. I made a fake radar array for my American Yak but that was just sprue glued together with paper clips.  lol

So, this is, really, your second foray into scratch building! :thumbsup:

Or, perhaps more accurately, your first foray into kitbashing? ;)

That's it! Second scratch built item, for the first kitbash.  I think we have it pegged,now.   ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: DogfighterZen on October 17, 2016, 05:20:05 AM
Can´t wait to see what's coming out of this one, sure sounds interesting! :thumbsup:

Thanks, bud!! This is a fun build, here. 55 year old kit.... and the subject matter is just cool!  I can't wait to glue on the little pogo wheels.....   :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 17, 2016, 08:35:33 AM

I can't wait to glue on the little pogo wheels.....   :lol:

I hope they stay on better than the 1/72 scale ones...............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

They should!!  Looks like the way they connect will have me with a lot of mating surfaces for the glue to weld.

Finished painting another "Little Buddy" and he's ready to be attached to his seat. I wanted to do camo on his helmet and it looks OK, not great. 

That said, I made sure he has his name patch, unit patch, US flag, and rank and branch patch.  This Lil Buddy is neat because he comes with the control stick!   :mellow: :lol:

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Trimming and filing parts today. Glue a couple intake things onto the side of the fuselage. Sanded on the seams a bit.

Anyway, I just wanted to show something, so I mocked up the wings and fuselage to show that! Ruler (12 inch architectural)  and my 1/72 Bonanza in there for scale along with one of the instructions sheets.

-Sprues McDuck-

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

Thanks! Painting on these "Little Buddies"has improved my control a good deal.  I like painting them and trying to add something unique or "step my game up" by trying smaller and finer detail or trying to add the stuff in that I might otherwise leave out (such as the name patch, etc). 

This kit also came with a standing Pilot figure with his helmet removed... I might go ahead and paint it up, too, and use it as like... another pilot stopping by to give this one a friendly send off.  The detail on the standing pilot is really good! I'll snap a photo at some point. You can see his little eyes and nose and hair and everything.   :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-