(DONE..FINALLY, sheesh! LOL) F/U-2 H.A.W.K., Vietnam era warbird (Pics page 14)

Started by TheChronicOne, October 12, 2016, 01:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

No way in hell I wanted to attempt it free-hand and I don't exactly have scribing tools...  This happened to work perfectly. If nothing else, I like to re-purpose things.   ;) ;D

Thing is.. I might need to grab the old nose piece and see what panel lines I need to put back on that small section. I could probably get by without it but still.. 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Right on!  I love it...breakthrough in modeling technique.  :lol: :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

Tubing cutters are not very expensive and you may want a new one that doesn't have oil or other goo on it that could ruin a paint job.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on October 30, 2016, 10:05:06 PM
Tubing cutters are not very expensive and you may want a new one that doesn't have oil or other goo on it that could ruin a paint job.

Depends on the size of the cutter.....  ;D

I used to carry one in my car before I retired and it could handle 6" dia high pressure steel pipe. Mind you, it needed a socking great motor to drive the thing.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Yeah this one here is pretty dirty but I excel at cleaning things up. If I deem it to be something I could use quite often I could shine it up. Sure comes in handy on.... pipe. 

;D
-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 31, 2016, 11:17:31 AM
Quote from: kerick on October 30, 2016, 10:05:06 PM

Depends on the size of the cutter.....  ;D

I used to carry one in my car before I retired and it could handle 6" dia high pressure steel pipe. Mind you, it needed a socking great motor to drive the thing.  ;)

Could probably crush a real aircraft with it!
Maybe by dropping it on one!
:wacko: :wacko:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

Definitely committed, now.......

Went ahead and purchased this canopy set so this thing could have some glass.

I think I got it at a good price?   $14?  Supposed to have 9 canopies so that's like $1.50 each. 

Just need to buy the paint now... another $16-20 then I won't need anything else.

Good thing about all this is the I have 1/48 F-15 already and well... eventually I'll pick up some of the others I'm sure and the paint of course will be used... I have a number of SEA camo builds coming up. 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

I agree!  1/48 isn't my preferred scale but I don't knock it. In fact, I have a series of Hobbycraft 1/48  Me 109s that I love to collect. It all started with an Avia 199 Israeli Knife my sweet mama gave me as a gift some 20+ years ago... turns out they made a fair number of variants and I want them ALL. :D       

Anyway... if all else fails, maybe some folks around here might need one some day and I can say, "hey, I have that, I can help!" 

-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

I believe the F-106 looks much better with the blown canopy!

I have stuff that's been laying around for years before I use it. Good thing I do models and not full size stuff!
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Tough to make the decision weather to keep or get rid of something. :banghead:
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on November 02, 2016, 07:42:44 PM
Tough to make the decision weather to keep or get rid of something. :banghead:

As soon as you get rid of something you need/find a use for it. Sod's Law No 14  :banghead: :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

Or as my old Scottish Granny said "Keep a thing for seven years and you will find a use for it":thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

TheChronicOne

I've gotten to the point where I barely throw anything that isn't straight up trash away. More so now that I'm back in modelling...so much stuff can be re-purposed or used for all types of things. Not saying that it's FUN to be poor as dirt but one good aspect of is things don't go to waste nearly as much. Not only that, it's sort of forcing me to learn how to scratch build things. 

I don't remember what it was, now, but about a week ago I threw something away. "I doubt I'll need this" then I ran into a problem on a model a couple days later that I realized the stuff I threw away would have worked on. OH WELL!!!!  The one time I throw stuff out...yup.. I need it.  It can sit around for decades but the second it's going down the street in the trash truck I magically need it.

;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Current state of affairs:

Got the intakes assembled and glued on & now I'm working on getting these seams filled in. After that, I need to re prime and see what I have. Rinse, repeat, and when it is all said and done it'll be time to start laying out the camo.

I want to trace the outline of the plane onto paper, then, use some reference photos to lay out the pattern.  After that, I'll cut out the  uhhh... "pieces" of camo then trace the outslines onto the plane with pencil. 

I'll put down the darkest green first, then, I'll use my paper masks with rolled up tape underneath to lift it up off the surface a bit, then spray.  I'll do the same with the tan. Last, I'll pick up some tamiya tape to mask so I can do the light grey bottom. Not sure if the paint I'm getting is light enough so I'm going to put down a coat of white first.

This silly thing is hitting my wallet kind of hard but the saving grace is I can use all this stuff on future projects anyway..  :thumbsup:

Until next time,
Brad

P.S.  The piece of tape on the fin had me thinking......... how cool it would be to make another of these and give it a tri-star engine set up.  Two turbnines on the wings and one mounted at the base of the fin!
-Sprues McDuck-