(DONE..FINALLY, sheesh! LOL) F/U-2 H.A.W.K., Vietnam era warbird (Pics page 14)

Started by TheChronicOne, October 12, 2016, 01:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

That's a big old wingspan there Brad.  Care to measure if for me?  It's given me some ideas re scaleorama to 1/72...

Everytime I use something i've been storing in the "it'll come in useful emporium" (AKA the shed) I make a point of telling Mrs z that i've done so.  So far it has made no difference in her attitude to my hoarding behaviour... :banghead:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Flyer on November 03, 2016, 07:35:57 PM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 03, 2016, 11:18:18 AM
Not saying that it's FUN to be poor as dirt but one good aspect of is things don't go to waste nearly as much. Not only that, it's sort of forcing me to learn how to scratch build things. 

I have learned a lot in a short time because of the same reason, it isn't fun but the pride in the result of building something from almost nothing is priceless. What I haven't learned by trial and error has come from the very helpful people on here, encouragement of others is very helpful too, doubt I'd have anything at all built if I wasn't constantly on here.

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 03, 2016, 12:46:18 PM

P.S.  The piece of tape on the fin had me thinking......... how cool it would be to make another of these and give it a tri-star engine set up.  Two turbnines on the wings and one mounted at the base of the fin!

Why stop there? Give it tilting wing engines for VTOL like a Cobra Rattler. ;D

Now there's an idea!!!!  That thing is so cool,... hell I was out yesterday evening looking at my old Joe stuff....    Agreed on the community here.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on November 03, 2016, 10:32:28 PM
That's a big old wingspan there Brad.  Care to measure if for me?  It's given me some ideas re scaleorama to 1/72...

Everytime I use something i've been storing in the "it'll come in useful emporium" (AKA the shed) I make a point of telling Mrs z that i've done so.  So far it has made no difference in her attitude to my hoarding behaviour... :banghead:

"So far it has made no difference in her attitude to my hoarding behaviour... "

The wings, measuring down the middle from root to tip measure 9 inches pretty much dead on. There's the little titanium skid thinges that go on the end but they only ad like... 1/8 of an inch. 

Wing tip to wing tip, however.... Hmm... looking straight down on the fuselage and measuring it from where the wings hit from side to side gives about 1 3/4 so overall would be 19.75 inches.  I tripled checked it by measuring all the way across "eyeballing" as I went over the fuselage and it matched up.

Wings: 9"
Tip to Tip: 19.75"

You'll be doing your own conversions if need be.   :P   ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Slowly making progress. Waiting on paint for now.  In the meantime, I'm scratch building sensor eye, antennas, and other widgets that go on the bottom that were missing from the kit. Also, I finally got some camo plotting going on and have created masks for all wings and the fin. I'll get the fuselage lined out after I get that other stuff painted on.

I'm also inscribing some simple panel lines on the new nose segment I made. Somewhat wondering if I should make that piece taper into the fuselage or leave it as is..  The radome is fine, but the little segment of actual fuselage is just straight diameter and I'm not sure it will look right where it joins up with the rest of the plane. The diameter is perfect,but  it  goes from taper into straight tube.

I figure maybe an hour or two at best of production working on these small things before I'll have to shelve this. I certainly want to get as much as possible done to it first.

Until next time..  :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

RAFF-35

Progressing very nicely  :thumbsup: how do you mean with the nose section by the way? Could you do a mock up and take a pic?  <_<
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

TheChronicOne

Sure 'nuff! All that mess is here in the thread but digging through everything might take awhile, so, I'll just grab this pic again.  lol

I mean... it looks pretty cool but what will it look like in the end all painted and done?  I honestly don't want to mess with it. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and finish the thing off completely, then, at the very end, if it DOES look weird I can consider making it better. It's just a nagging thought in the back of my mind though.. I wish I could see it finished.

I have a roll of Tamiya tape on the way and and I'm looking forward to painting the camo. I'm going to do the slightly lifted paper mask stuff to get the proper border between the colors.. it ought to be fun!  I'm thinking I'll make the bottom portion BLACK like they did on the B-52s.  SEA camo up top, black on the bottom. BUT, it just depends.. might not work with my transfers. Problem is I'm having a difficult time coming up with the proper super light grey in a rattle can and I'm not about to spend $5-6 for some midget can from the hobby shop. I'm either going to paint it black, or, paint it black then go light coats of white over top and hope for the best. To my eye the color is so light it looks white from a distance anyway. 

But yeah those two points are my conundrums for now.. I think every thing else is coming along nicely. I keep forgetting about the canopy, too... gotta do something on it. It's vacuform so I have to trim it all out and stuff, as you know.

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Try spraying it black AND white at the same time, with a can in each hand doing alternate passes.

Yeah, I know it sounds stupid but I've tried it before (with different colours admittedly) and it worked.

I used it on an Airfix 727-200 done in the Braniff 'Ultra' scheme. That blue is just slightly purple and I used two car sprays, giving it two passes of blue and then a mist coat of purple. The paint has to be still wet when the second colour goes on, but it does work.

That's the 727 almost in the centre of this pic, right in front of the well OTT Braniff 'Calder' 727.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

RAFF-35

Keep the stepped nose look, makes it look more bird of prey like  :thumbsup:
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

TheChronicOne

Quote from: RAFF-35 on November 13, 2016, 01:58:27 PM

Roger THAT!!   :lol: :lol:

Fits with the H.A.W.K. theme!!  :D 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 13, 2016, 01:43:34 PM
Try spraying it black AND white at the same time, with a can in each hand doing alternate passes.

Yeah, I know it sounds stupid but I've tried it before (with different colours admittedly) and it worked.

I used it on an Airfix 727-200 done in the Braniff 'Ultra' scheme. That blue is just slightly purple and I used two car sprays, giving it two passes of blue and then a mist coat of purple. The paint has to be still wet when the second colour goes on, but it does work.

That's the 727 almost in the centre of this pic, right in front of the well OTT Braniff 'Calder' 727.

I love 727s!  Only commercial airliner I've ever been on. One flight...from OKC to Little Rock. It was so fun. Your Hangar there is so cool!!!! Lots of neat stuff!  :laugh:

I'll give that a try...it does indeed sound rather goofy but I'm open to anything. Sounds interesting as hell and it....I want to give it a whirl.

Lately I've been thinking that I need a "test bed."  Some kit I can make simply to use to try new things.  I just need to settle on something I don't mind being a "lab rat."

EDIT: P.S...  one of the lots of kits I got recently came with 3 1/72 GLIDERS with long, glorious wings...  I'm going to get pics together for the "stash" thread at some point...  kind of wondering what to do with them. I want to militarize at least one. Bombs and engines... something... maybe one can be a prop deal and another with jet engines....   
-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 13, 2016, 03:58:18 PM
Quote from: RAFF-35 on November 13, 2016, 01:58:27 PM

Roger THAT!!   :lol: :lol:

Fits with the H.A.W.K. theme!!  :D

Not quite sure from the photos but it appears to have a slight difference in diameter where the tube meets the fuselage. You might be able to file down the outside edge of the fuselage to be closer in diameter to the tube. That would make it blend better. Then you would have the appearance of a panel line instead of a step in diameter.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

The picture is a fibber it would seem!  ;D  I guess with the tiny shreds of masking tape it "sagged" some or something but the diameter of the piece matches perfectly with the diameter of the fuselage -- no step. 

That picture was a temporary mock up and also before about 2 hours of refining.   ;)
-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

In that case I would leave it as is. Carry on!!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise