Boulton Paul Sea Defiant

Started by NARSES2, October 18, 2016, 07:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Designed in competition with Blackburn's Roc the Boulton Paul Sea Defiant was a navalised version of their standard Defiant Day Fighter submitted to Spec. 0.30/35. The production order was received by Boulton Paul on 28th April 1937 and the first aircraft rolled onto the runway and flew on the 23rd December 1938. Contracts were signed for 136 aircraft, serials L3057 to 3192 inclusive. They first entered service with the Fleet Air Arm 23rd May 1939 and whilst being fully equipped for sea going service never went to sea but spent their short service life from shore bases. The last was retired from active service in June 1940 when they were relegated to second line duties. They were replaced by Fairey Fulmars amongst other types. *

This then is an aircraft from 806 N.A.S. Haston in the Orkneys in 1939 and is one of the very few aircraft that saw any active service and indeed could even claim to have shot down a Luftwaffe reconnaissance He III, the Sea Defiant's only kill. The kit is the M.P.M. one and is one of the only kits of theirs that I've seen that has had alignment pins. Finesse of the parts and location and size of the sprue attachment points is very good. The fit of the parts is in the main very good indeed although some, the undercarriage legs for example, are helped with some pins adding and holes drilling. I screwed the injection canopy up (don't ask) so I used the closed option from an Airfix kit and the spinner and propeller disappeared into the maws of the Carpet Monster so I used a pairing from the spares box. Possibly early mark Spitfire ? The navalisation simply consists of a hook (from a Sea Hurricane I think) and the simple folded wing. I know that Boulton Paul would probably have used a far more complicated wing fold in real life in order to save space on board ship but I went for a much simpler one. Maybe next time ? Paints are my usual mixture, mainly Xtracrylic for the main colours and the transfers are from the Special Hobby boxing of the Blackburn Roc.

I've now built both this kit and the new tool Airfix one sequentially and in all honesty the Airfix is the better but not by a large token. If you see a good deal on either of the M.P.M. boxings (they do a Mk II as well) then snap them up you will not be disappointed.

•   If this sounds familiar it's because it's the Roc's biography shamelessly stolen from Putnam's British Naval Aircraft.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

LOVELY! And that wing fold looks fine to me, how did you do it?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Dizzyfugu

TheChronicOne

Man, that turned out great!!!   That livery set up is choice.    :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

That looks good, love that scheme! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

comrade harps

Whatever.

NARSES2

Quote from: The Rat on October 18, 2016, 07:49:44 AM

Simples as they say. The Defiant has what looks like a strengthening "beam" outboard of the undercarriage bays so I cut the wing off outboard of that using it as a guide. Plastic card for the web at the wing break and then a cut paper clip bent almost double for the pivot. Nothing to complicated which is perhaps why I finished it. I must admit it gave me a little confidence (I haven't really cut anything up for years and years) and I might be happy to have a dabble with a couple of other things that have been in my mind now.

Cheers lads  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

Very neat and believable build. :thumbsup:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Sport21ing

Loving your Defiant and your work

Curiosity: How is your ATL?
My deviantart page:
http://sport16ing.deviantart.com/

PS: Not my art, not very good at drawning :P

Glenn Gilbertson

Excellent work - and in reality it would probably have been a better aircraft to have ordered than the Roc.  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: Sport21ing on October 19, 2016, 03:09:42 PM

ATL ? Alternate Time Line ?

The Rat

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 19, 2016, 07:41:44 AM
Quote from: The Rat on October 18, 2016, 07:49:44 AM

Simples as they say. The Defiant has what looks like a strengthening "beam" outboard of the undercarriage bays so I cut the wing off outboard of that using it as a guide. Plastic card for the web at the wing break and then a cut paper clip bent almost double for the pivot. Nothing to complicated which is perhaps why I finished it. I must admit it gave me a little confidence (I haven't really cut anything up for years and years) and I might be happy to have a dabble with a couple of other things that have been in my mind now.

Cheers lads  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Sport21ing

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 20, 2016, 06:38:41 AM
Quote from: Sport21ing on October 19, 2016, 03:09:42 PM

ATL ? Alternate Time Line ?

Yes, because I got very curious
- WWII up to 1947, with Turkey colapse
- Great South American War
- many of your aircraft

I just got very interessed :3
My deviantart page:
http://sport16ing.deviantart.com/

PS: Not my art, not very good at drawning :P

Scotaidh

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very nice!   You now have me thinking of a Defiant-based build ...  Thanks, I guess - it's not as if I need more concepts/future builds lined up in my head. 

;)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."