M3A1 White Scout Car air defence - FINISHED - pic's pg.2

Started by Old Wombat, October 20, 2016, 09:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Over on BtS I've entered into their "Treadhead/Armour" GB.

I would have entered my 90mm-gunned Warrior but it was too far along, in my view, so I dug out a few kits & perused them.

Amongst them was my HobbyBoss M3A1 White Scout Car, quite a nice looking vehicle but not really suited to its role. I had bought it with the intention of replacing its .30 &.50 cal weapons with a pair of Lewis guns & a water-cooled Vickers gun but I'd gone off that idea.

So, what to do? :-\

Then I remembered my Italeri PT Boat Conversion set! :lol:

Thus was born the idea of the Royal Australian Marines M3A1 (field mod.) air defence vehicle operating in New Britain utilising a 20mm Oerlikon mount salvaged from an American PT boat that had run ashore after being shot up by Japanese fighters.

The following is copied from my 11 Oct. post on BtS;

QuoteHere we have the obligatory sprues-&-box shots:

The White Scout Car;

The Air Defence (is from this sprue of this boxing);

Build has progressed beyond this stage but no photo's since these.

I'm trying to put it together in modular sections, which I intend putting together after painting.

An odd thing with the HobbyBoss kit is that, although it has a quite comprehensive engine bay (most of which will be invisible with the bonnet closed up), the one thing that's most likely to be seen (behind the armoured louvres), the radiator, isn't included in it. So I made an "impression" piece to fit behing the louvres as the radiator.

I'll update when I've got the modular sections built. Hopefully soon!

:cheers:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Can't fit the Bofors in the back of the White then?
;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

loupgarou

Quote from: zenrat on October 21, 2016, 12:18:07 AM
Can't fit the Bofors in the back of the White then?
;D

The halftrack M15 "Special" mounted the Bofors, as an unofficial modification, see under:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M15_Halftrack

But the halftrack had a better stability and load carrying capacity than the scout car.
France fitted Bofors on GMC 2 1/2 ton trucks.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Dizzyfugu

Old Wombat

OK, my mojo's slipped a bit & this build is dragging its @r$e but I've got most of the modules built.

Here they are sitting it the box waiting for a small mojo boost & paint.

Old Wombat

Hi, guys! :lol:

Just to let you know this is still happening I've provided pic's of where I'm at now. ;D

The Oerlikon is only sitting there, for now. It's slow going, in dribs & drabs but I'm getting there. :thumbsup:

TheChronicOne

:o :o

That looks great, bud!!  I'm impressed...   It's a thing of beauty.. I'll never be able to make anything look that good.

Your project is still in the works so it can only get better from here .. which means it will be killer.   :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

That's great.  It's making me think about a civilianised version with all the rivets sanded off and a coat of red paint.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

Thanks, gents! :thumbsup:

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 24, 2016, 11:09:12 PM
Your project is still in the works so it can only get better from here .. which means it will be killer.   :mellow: :mellow:

Don't go tempting Fate, mate! There's a whole raft of things that can go tits-up from here (& history indicates at least one of them's likely to happen) & send the whole thing to Buggerie & Beyond! :o

Martin H

Quote from: zenrat on November 25, 2016, 12:01:37 AM
That's great.  It's making me think about a civilianised version with all the rivets sanded off and a coat of red paint.

This isnt a scout car but may act as some inspiration

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

NARSES2

I'd forgotten this thread. Interesting combination. USMC ?

I'm now thinking of suitable Soviet heavy mg's or maybe even one of their big AT rifles ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

That is totally wicked ! So glad to have found this thread can't wait to see more.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Quote from: Martin H on November 25, 2016, 04:31:58 AM
Quote from: zenrat on November 25, 2016, 12:01:37 AM

This isnt a scout car but may act as some inspiration

Oooh! interesting.
Me likey.

Thanks Guv.
Fred

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 25, 2016, 07:05:50 AM
I'd forgotten this thread. Interesting combination. USMC ?

I'm now thinking of suitable Soviet heavy mg's or maybe even one of their big AT rifles ?

RAM (as mentioned in the 1st post) but with the US star on the bonnet to minimise the risk of US airmen shooting at them (I seem to recall the Brit's doing the same). ;)

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency