HELP!!!!!

Started by RAFF-35, October 31, 2016, 11:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAFF-35

Does anyone have any tips or techniques for vacuform models??? Got my first one today  :-\
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

Librarian

Superglue, several grades of plasticard, many grades of sandpaper, ****loads of patience, test fit as often as possible, don't fear reinforcing the plastic from the inside and outline all parts on the sheet with black marker/sharpie to aid in cutting. Can be frustrating but the sense of achievement at the end is palpable.

Blu-tack when cutting the canopies is also very useful.

RAFF-35

Can't use normal modelling cement then?

kitbasher

Quote from: Librarian on October 31, 2016, 01:18:53 PM
Blu-tack when cutting the canopies is also very useful.

Mmmm.....a really sharp blade usually works for me.   ;)
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Hobbes

Yes you can. The vacformed sheet is usually styrene, just like ordinary injection-moulded kits.

Once you've cut the parts from the sheet, sanding them down to the right size is critical. Glue a sheet of sandpaper to a surface you know to be flat. A sheet of glass or a ceramic tile, for example.

Then sand (preferably wet), making sure to apply pressure to the part evenly. Lots of checks during sanding to make sure you're sanding evenly.

McColm

Start with a small kit, wash the vacform to get a better key when gluing. Take your time, sometimes the parts don't line up. Don't over sand but keep checking.

Librarian

Apologies...superglue is just my preferred gluing medium. And watch your fingertips when sanding ;D.

RAFF-35

Haha, thanks guys, it's comforting that I'm hearing the same advice from everyone so I know it's solid knowledge  :thumbsup: has anyone got any pictures of their vacforms at all? And are there any benefits to vacform over injection, asides from the oddball factor?  :lol:

dadlamassu

Rareplanes Douglas Divebombers - Royal Iraqi Air Force 1941

Rareplanes Breda Ba-65 - Royal Iraqi Air Force 1941

The Breda's gun turret was really difficult to get to sit properly - lots of sanding, patience, testing and cursing!

PR19_Kit

Large chunks of my Boeing 777-900 were vacformed.

It used two Minicraft 777-300s, one Doyusha 777-300 and two Welsh Models vacform 777-300s. Melding all the bits together was lots of fun, as you can imagine.  ;D

I used Revell Contacta cement with Slaters MekPak on the joints, and the vacform bits glued very well to the injection bits.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Good advice here!
I don't build with vacuform very often but I found reinforcing the joints with strips of plastic glued from behind to be very helpful. Many times the edges are too thin to glue like an injection kit.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kitnut617

Quote from: RAFF-35 on October 31, 2016, 03:47:33 PM
has anyone got any pictures of their vacforms at all?

This is my Airframe 1/72 Martin Baker MB5, used lots of Aeroclub bits & pieces. It was a lot of fun.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

RAFF-35

Thanks guys, this has been most useful, I now feel slightly more brace to attempt the kit  ;D

RAFF-35

So this is the suspect in question, a rareplane 1:72 Lockheed U2, however, there were no instructions provided with the kit and whereas I obviously know were the big bits go, there are a few little niggly bits that I'm not sure of.... again, any help would be very useful  ;D

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 31, 2016, 04:26:08 PM
Large chunks of my Boeing 777-900 were vacformed.

It used two Minicraft 777-300s, one Doyusha 777-300 and two Welsh Models vacform 777-300s. Melding all the bits together was lots of fun, as you can imagine.  ;D

I used Revell Contacta cement with Slaters MekPak on the joints, and the vacform bits glued very well to the injection bits.

Dude, that's just nutty! I knew you were into long wings but long fuselage?!   :laugh: :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-