What would it take to make real mechs?

Started by seadude, November 02, 2016, 11:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Downunder, we all know that the real inventor of the tracked tank was Lancelot de Mole...   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

jcf

Just to remind folks of the AT-AT walker origin, Syd Mead's original arctic cargo walker design that predates Star Wars Empire Strikes Back by well over a decade. Designed purely as a cargo carrier with no military assault/combat silliness involved.  ;D

zenrat

I had no idea of Lancelot De Mole (great name - very Discworldly) and his "tank".
My education has been lacking.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

Quote from: rickshaw on November 10, 2016, 11:24:32 PM
Downunder, we all know that the real inventor of the tracked tank was Lancelot de Mole...   :banghead:

That's 1912, Burstyn was 1911.

rickshaw

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 11, 2016, 12:51:40 AM

de Mole was inspired in 1911...  You need to read the entire article, Jon.   ;)

rickshaw

Quote from: zenrat on November 11, 2016, 12:41:21 AM
I had no idea of Lancelot De Mole (great name - very Discworldly) and his "tank".
My education has been lacking.

Stick with me, my son.  I will guide you to the light side...   :thumbsup:

Mossie

Levavasseur's kind of the French Lancelot De Mole.  Original project was dated 1903, revisited in 1908.  Jury is still out to whether his design influenced the St Chammond and Schneider tanks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levavasseur_project
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Quote from: rickshaw on November 11, 2016, 01:38:16 AM

I did Brian, Burstyn's actual design was from 1911, as opossed to De Mole's inspiration[/] which
was presented as a vehicle proposal n 1912. Honestly Brian, yer Australia,  Australia poo-poo (with an english accent) gets really tiresome. Whatever may have been accomplished by Australians in the past has f-all to do with you.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 10, 2016, 11:05:40 PM
Quote from: zenrat on November 10, 2016, 10:39:22 PM

Crud, I miss Terry Pratchett.

I echo that sentiment.  :-\ I'm going to start re-reading the Discworld series from the beginning again in the New ear as there's next to nothing on telly

Amen!
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 11, 2016, 02:09:33 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on November 11, 2016, 01:38:16 AM

I did Brian, Burstyn's actual design was from 1911, as opossed to De Mole's inspiration[/] which
was presented as a vehicle proposal n 1912. Honestly Brian, yer Australia,  Australia poo-poo (with an english accent) gets really tiresome. Whatever may have been accomplished by Australians in the past has f-all to do with you.

Jon, you have to learn to take what I say with a much straighter face.   ;)

Australia is the Lucky Country, don't you realise?    :thumbsup:

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 10, 2016, 11:05:40 PM
Quote from: zenrat on November 10, 2016, 10:39:22 PM

Crud, I miss Terry Pratchett.

I echo that sentiment.  :-\ I'm going to start re-reading the Discworld series from the beginning again in the New ear as there's next to nothing on telly

I havn't had telly for three years now: don't miss it at all. The internet is much more interesting (TOO interesting actually... :rolleyes:)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones