Pegasus Bridge: the movie

Started by rickshaw, November 05, 2016, 07:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Martin H

sounds good, and looks like they are doing their home work.

made me smile thou, ive got the image of Richard Todd leading the attack from the Longest day in my head.

He new how it realy went down as he was there!
He had a row with the director over historical accuracy only to be challenged "so how would know how it realy happened?" Todd pointed to an actor playing a young officer and said "that captain over there is me!" His old boss Major Howard was also on set as a consultant, and confirmed Todd's part in the assult.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

NARSES2

Yup a story that deserves to be told.

Strangely one of the best books on Pegasus Bridge I've ever read was by an American. Stephen Ambrose of Band of Brothers fame. In the book he says he came across the story whilst researching another book and had never really heard much about it before. Did a little digging and became fascinated by a story he knew he had to tell in America.

It's not a long book and is a good read  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Excellent. Look forward to watching this one ! Thanks for the link.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 06, 2016, 06:55:01 AM

Strangely one of the best books on Pegasus Bridge I've ever read was by an American. Stephen Ambrose of Band of Brothers fame. In the book he says he came across the story whilst researching another book and had never really heard much about it before. Did a little digging and became fascinated by a story he knew he had to tell in America.

I've just finished re-reading that same book. As Chris says, it's REALLY good, well recommended.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Now here's a thought.

Are they going to do the Halifaxes and Horsas with CGI or are they going to build some????
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 06, 2016, 06:55:01 AM

Ambrose?  Sorry, his reputation is in tatters after he was found to have plagiarised his works from other sources.  Not a bad writer but a poor historian.  He also came in for quite a roasting from the USAAF cargo pilots who flew the paratroops in on D-Day.   He claimed they were cowards and fools.   They took umbrage at his comments.

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 06, 2016, 11:03:15 AM
Now here's a thought.

Are they going to do the Halifaxes and Horsas with CGI or are they going to build some????

A mix, I am sure.  You'll have a few half fuselages and a lot of CGI.

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on November 06, 2016, 07:27:03 PM

Ambrose?  Sorry, his reputation is in tatters after he was found to have plagiarised his works from other sources.  Not a bad writer but a poor historian. 

I know all about the plagiarism claims and in a way all historians plagiarise their original sources, or I could argue that in a University debating society  :angel: Seriously however it is a good read and well worth it.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

As time travel has yet to be invented I'd be amazed if ANY historian could have written anything without 'plagiarisation', if there is such a word.

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Agreed!

There are limited sources & resources.

So, surprisingly, if you interview the same person another author/historian interviewed there's a slight possibility you might get the same story (possibly even told in exactly the same way), or if you read the same documents you might come to the same conclusions &, because maybe you're writing in the same language, use similar, or even identical phraseology.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 08, 2016, 02:58:15 AM
Agreed!

So, surprisingly, if you interview the same person another author/historian interviewed there's a slight possibility you might get the same story (possibly even told in exactly the same way), or if you read the same documents you might come to the same conclusions &, because maybe you're writing in the same language, use similar, or even identical phraseology.

The thing that annoys me at times is when writers deliberately re-interpret the sources simply to be different or get headlines. Doesn't happen often but I have seen it and by one or two authors who latter became quite well known, so it worked, mores the pity.

rickshaw

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 08, 2016, 02:58:15 AM
Agreed!

Except Ambrose was found to have used great slabs from another Historians works on the same topic.

There is a major difference between copying and using the same sources...   :banghead:

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on November 08, 2016, 07:27:04 PM

Except Ambrose was found to have used great slabs from another Historians works on the same topic.

There is a major difference between copying and using the same sources...   :banghead:

Agreed.

I was quite shocked when I heard as I'd always respected his work. Obviously not read his original sources