BAe Albatross MR.5

Started by RAFF-35, November 06, 2016, 09:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAFF-35

This is only in the idea bank at the moment as I'm not sure how far I'll get with this vacuform kit

The plan is to create a Lockheed U-2 based maritime patrol aircraft.... but internet digging has already produced a US concept for just such an aircraft...

Now my idea is that following the Nimrods untimely death, the UK is now left without the maritime patrol capability... some bright spark at BAe thought of the U2's long range and loitering capabilities AND cheap to maintain single engine..... some aging U-2c's were aquired from the boneyard and were quickly upgraded and modernised resulting in the BAe Albatross.

I've drawn up a rough sketch of my idea, however, I'm not sure whether to go for an internal weapons bay or to go wing mounted... not shown in the sketch are the wings, which I'm planning to mount a few sensor pods/wheel housings etc etc

In terms of colour scheme, I was thinking something along the lines of this,

Thoughts and knowledge are welcome  :lol:
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

Captain Canada

Nice idea. Love the sketch. Looks like a whole new fish in that one ! Very lumpy and bumpy. Would look great in hemp  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

RAFF-35

Hahahaha, it's too modern for hemp  ;)

63cpe

Yeah, love the sketch! Go for it! The vacuformed U-2 would be a challange by itself, but that's just lazy-me....

I guess you need Harpoon missiles for it. I think I got them (left-overs from S-3 Vikings). How many do you need?

David

PR19_Kit

Terrific idea.  :thumbsup:

You may need longer wings though..............  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

RAFF-35

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 06, 2016, 10:56:45 AM

Why thank you  :rolleyes: and the wings will be lengthened slightly with a few alterations, but probably no where near long enough for your standards  :thumbsup:

RAFF-35

So what's everyone's opinions on whether to have internal or external weapons then?  ;D

63cpe

All external (F***K radar reflections)!

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 06, 2016, 10:56:45 AM

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Looking good there! Working on an armed U2 myself but in 1/48 and uhh.. not vacuform!   :thumbsup:  You have your work...  cut out for you.   (rimshot)

As I said in the other thread.. if I can get there quick enough I'll try to join you with my own vacuform plane and we can compare notes, etc.

:mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

McColm

That sketch looks a bit Buccaneerish to me, great idea.

kerick

External weapons equals lots of drag cutting into range, altitude and loiter time. Up to you, couple of missiles might look good.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

The U2's fuselage wasn't very spacious, so, even with the bulged belly you've given it, the best you could do is 2, maybe 4, semi-recessed Harpoons rather than an internal weapons bay. Although you may have enough internal room for a limited number of sono-bouys.

Also, if drag is an issue, you might want to consider sensor pods that fit flush with the wing, & maybe projecting forward of it, instead of dangling from pylons.

:unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

I agree with Old Wombat.  The U-2's fuselage was pretty well packed with fuel and sensors.   Most of their flights were spent gliding, with the engines idling.  I'd give it a bulged weapons bay and two sensor/weapons pods on the wings, TR-2 like.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Id say external weapons unless you can't find enough or can't be bothered to paint them all in which case scribe some doors and call them internal. ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..