#5 DONE +++ N.A. F-86K, 'SD-103' of 2./HävLLv 31, Ilmavoimat, late Sixties @p.3

Started by Dizzyfugu, November 18, 2016, 12:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Pretty conservative stuff, but will be more work than meets the eye. Basis will be the Airfix 1:72 F-86D from 1975, but converted into a gun-toting K - a task which requires a (small) fuselage extension and some cosmetics. Idea is rooted in the idea what all-weather fighetr could have entered service with the Finnish Air Force in parallel to the MiG-21F daytime fighter in the early Sixties? The Sabre Dog is an answer (from my side), and I am curious how this one will look in a classic Ilmavoimat paint scheme.  ;D

Stay tuned...

Snowtrooper

Watching this thread with much attention and anticipation! (And ready to nitpick on the slightest Finnish details ;D)

When the daytime jet fighter deal was made, Mirage III had been the favoured candidate and SAAB Draken a close second - both test-flown by FAF - but MiG was selected without any test flights purely for *cough*Finlandization*cough political reasons. N-156 (to become F-5A) and F-104 were ruled out as politically unfeasible from the start. Later, EE Lightning was briefly tested (to an unfavourable opinion, except for the avionics) but Draken was selected in 1970 to equip two other squadrons (even though the second batch was only acquired in 1984-6, by which time 21bis had already replaced the F).

Yes, Finland's air defence was that inadequate in the 60's: one squadron of Gnats and one of 21's to cover the entire not-so-small country (FAF strength only reaching three squadrons in the 1980's, BAe Hawks being acquired at that time too).

Dizzyfugu

One "problem" certainly was the limit of 60 aircraft with offensive capability. The Hawk was AFAIK highly appreciated because it could be "sold" as a trainer, outside of the limit, regardless of its potential. Mirage III appears like the most sensible solution.

perttime

Do you mean silver colored, like Finnish MiG-21F, or camo?

What codes to use? SD for Sabre Dog, and two or three numbers?

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Dizzyfugu

The impatience of the critical audience raises the tension... Work has already started last weekend with good and more progress than expected, pics soon to follow.

In the meantime, to keep the crowd entertained (and distracted), one of the inspiring things behind my build, accidently found while doing web search:

Found here: http://live.warthunder.com/post/453983/en/

Rather crude combination of a MiG-21MF skin on a F-86 - but I find the result interesting, esp. with the roundels under the cockpit (reminds me of a dead, gaping carp?).
Code will probably be "SD-103". "SB", as seen in the CG, is unsuitable because it was already used in WWII for Soviet SB-2 bombers. But "SD" for a "Sabre Dog" abbreviation just matches the creative Finnish code system. ;)

Dizzyfugu

Now back to the subject; the cockpit receives some pimping, with a (better) Martin Baker ejection seat from a Revell G.91. The same kit also donated some neat side consoles for the otherwise rather empty OOB cockpit:

1:72 North American (Fiat) F-86K "Sabre", 'SD-103' of the 2nd Flight/HävLLv 31 (Fighter Squadron 31/Hävittäjälentolaivue 31), Suomen Ilmavoimat (Finnish Air Force), Karelian Air Command; Kuopio-Rissala, 1968 (Whif/Airfix kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 North American (Fiat) F-86K "Sabre", 'SD-103' of the 2nd Flight/HävLLv 31 (Fighter Squadron 31/Hävittäjälentolaivue 31), Suomen Ilmavoimat (Finnish Air Force), Karelian Air Command; Kuopio-Rissala, 1968 (Whif/Airfix kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The fuselage is finished first, before the extension plug for the "K" Sabre and its respective cuts can be added:

Under the cockpit floor is ample space for lead, and while the air intake fits well into the fuselage halves the front view causes some headaches - there's simply a LOT of material that needs to be trimmed away.

More from the surgery tomorrow.  ;D

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Old Wombat

I hope you mean 20cm & not 20m, otherwise that baby's gunna be one lo-ong mother! ;D ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

The mind BOGGLES at a 20 m long F-86!  :o

That'd be longer than full size.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

In the meantime, operation "Turn a D into a K" goes on:

And some detail work around the nose/guns and the cockpit; in an urge of megalomania I decided to modify the canopy for an open position, which means that the frame had to be cut out from the fuselage (the OOB clear part is just that, and has to be cut into two pieces, too):

zenrat

Looking good.  I love Sabre Dogs.
Who does a modern 1/72 kit with engraved panel lines?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..