12 hour build

Started by Gary, November 16, 2004, 08:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

My school still doesn't have any electricity and I've decided to do a live build. I'm gonna see if I can complete a model in 12 hours or less. I will post the images all through the day to give you an idea of where things stand.

I may fail but heck, it's a snow day and between laundry and feedin the kids, (wife is away on business) I should be able to do something.

please not, the Dragon Mig 15 is still in the cello wrapper at 11:30 am.

Getting back into modeling

Captain Canada

You can do it, Homer !

:P

I'm stuck at home, sans kiddies. We had a job up at 4am, but it's now delayed till sometime this aft....so I'm lounging about, doing nowt. I'm thinking of digging out my two Teeny-boppers, and doing the cockpits.

Good luck, and looking forwrd to an update !

;)  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gary

1 hour in and I've only just realixed I have no black paint! Time to locate the tremclad!

Interior components done with the exception of the final weathering of the cockpit. Have to wait for paint to dry.

Captain Canada

QuoteHave to wait for paint to dry.
Well, then head outside and shovel some snow !

Your predicament really put a question mark on my plans to move east....as I'm outside this morning, raking leaves in a t-shirt, and sweating ! I bet it's + 15 out there !

Phew........

Well that's enough 'house work', I'm gonna watch some SBK racing on Speed and do those cockpits.

And the little 15 is looking good so far !

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gary

Well, all internal detailing and such completed. Closed canopy so I didn't go too nutz.
Fus assembeled, wings assembled and fuel tanks done, but crap. A drop of glue ran down the outside upper part of the body just behinf the cockpit. So much for the all metal finish. Looks like Romanian Green upper, silver under, and really dirty.

Gary

Wings and tanks in place, sanded the top and bottom a bunch and dumped bondo into the horrible canyons at the win roots. Added the nose cone and it's time to walk away and let this thing dry.
Lunch break.

Gary

Ok 4 1/2 hours in and the first coat of silver. I spent most of that time sanding and the results are... well I'm pleased.

Maybe an all natural finish isn't out of the question. But what markings? What do you think?

Ollie

Red Bull markings, for a classic jet race at Reno, 2007!

:wub:  :wub:  

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gary

Gonna need to do some serious rummaging about for markings now.Funny how she looks like a tin of Red Bull.

Captain Canada

A defected or captured USAF example would look pretty neat. Maybe even in Squadron colours, as if a whole bunch defected.

I kinda like the plain blue and white star n' bar look, too.

Good luck !

;)  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gary

Well, supper's done and the kids are back from sports. It's somewhere in the 7 or eight hour mark and I spent over an hour alone looking for nice markings. I found a set of Ethiopean markings and I thought on the silver they'd look nice. No idea for a back story though.

Swamphen

Sharp!!

What is that filler you used? Something us Yanks can get?

Allan

Gary,

I'm cheering all the way with you!

What a great idea- a speed build!

What paint did you use for the silver--looks marvellous!

And I'll have to think about getting some of those clamps-I usually use old rubber bands to hold the fuselage together.

A complete tour de force-top marks and a huzzahhhhhh!

Allan in Canberra

Gary

Actually it's my first attempt with Krylon Bright Silver.

Well, 9 oclock and my show is on, Lost. All that's left is the Landing gear doors and wheels. No black paint so it's a dk grey. Had to cut a whopping big hole behinf cockpit to put lead shot in. I didn't realize till too late that she was a tail sitter.
Anyhow, off tothe tube for n hour to let paint dry and such.