Main Menu

Tigercats

Started by tigercat2, November 16, 2004, 10:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat2

This is the only photo I have on my hard drive (I'm on the road for a few days) that is under 75 megs.  I will take some more photos when I get home.

This is a What if Grumman AF-65.  Theory is that the F7F was built in major numbers at the end of WW
II, and the USAAF bought a bunch as the P-65.  They stayed around a while, and saw service in Korea and VN as close support aircraft.

I built about 20 of these in various guises 25 years ago, and still have most of them.  They are all the Monogram 1/72 kit, and a few, like this one, I chopped the fuselage in front of the canopy and added in a second seat.  

None of my models will ever come near a contest - they are in no way show material, but I enjoy building and modifying them.

Hope this picture gets posted.

Wes W.

tigercat2

Tried to post a photo, but was not successful.  This does not seem to be real user friendly as far as attachements, or I'm just dumb (probably the latter).  Would appreciate it if someone could send step-by-step directions for posting photos.

Thanks very much.

Wes W.

Hobbes

Once you attach the photo, don't use the Preview button. That seems to remove the photo information.  

Captain Canada

Keep trying, it's actually easy !

Besides, we want to see al 25 of them !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

tigercat2

I'll try this for the one Tigercat what-if that is under 75 Megs.

Wes W.

Scooterman

There you go!  (and welcome to the funny farm known as What If)

I like it!  The front has a F-105F/G sorta thing going on...........

Would that make it a Thundercat?!?  :blink: Tigerchief?  :dum:  

tigercat2

IT WORKED!!  This Tigercat was built in 1977, fuselage was lenghtend by inserting a 2nd cockpit, and the wings were extended.  About a year ago I "upgraded" it in an Air Force grey paint scheme.

Since it is a What if - there are no rules on markings, weapons or paint schemes!!  The premise is that this would have been as good as a B-26K for close air support and night attack.  With the extended wings and longer fuselage, it is actually a bit bigger than a B-26, and does not have all that extra weight to carry around with two R-2800s.  

Some other what-ifs that I have and will post in the near future (all 1/72)

FB-58B Huster (interceptor version using early TF-30s) - an interceptor version was proposed in the late 50s.

FA-5B Vigilante - USAF interceptor version that was proposed by NAA to the USAF in 1960 (actually this is the Monogram 1/76 A3J-1 or A-5A).

P-47H in an operational scheme

F-108C with FAST Packs, internal AIM-47s and external sparrows and Sidewinders plus two huge drop tanks - the theory here was to have a huge fuel load, draw it from the externals, punch them off over water while enroute to the target area, and use internal fuel for the rest of the mission.  This would give significant boost to the range and not require a tanker.  The F-108 has always been one of my favorites, and I jumped at the chance to build the Anigrand kit.  I recall reading that one of the mission requirements was to be able to destroy a hostile aircraft 1000 miles away 30 minutes after take off, and there is no reason to doubt that the '108 could have done this - a fantastic accomplishement for 1950s technology!!

F-103A

F-109A

Two USAF F-8s

Several more Tigercats.

Wes W.

Knowing the 75 meg limit, I will keep that in mind with new photos.

Wes W.

noxioux

Tigercats friggin' rock.  They're probably one of my all time favorites.

Please, more pics, man!

tigercat2

I am playing around with the photos, and I have cut one down to 71meg.  Let's see if it transmits - contains a few Tigercats and some other aircraft.

Wes W.

Captain Canada

Sweet !

It does have a certain F-105 look to it, dosn't it !

Mmmm......

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Swamphen

Oooh, a YF-23!!  :wub:  :wub:

OK, I'll take the challenge here...

Top shelf: F-101, F3H, F-105, F-100???, F-8, F-8, A-10, A-26, F-104
2nd shelf: Scooter x 2, T-cat, ??(Banshee?), Panther, Kfir, ???, ?Hunter?, Ford
3rd shelf: Cranberry x 2, Black Widow II :wub: , T-cat x 3, Viggie, ??(looks French), T-cat, Eagle, MiG-21.

How'd I do?  B)  

Aircav

The Tigercat in SEA camo look good  :D  :D  :D  :D  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Captain Canada

Sweet ! Waaay too many cool birds on that shelf.....a bonafide nutter lives there !

Funny thing, I drew a little pic of a Kfir in almost the exact same scheme a few years back....neat-o !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

tigercat2

Very good on the aircraft ID.  Top shelf, 3rd from left is actually a SAAB J-32 Lansen (?) that I picked up for 50c at a swap meet.  Put in USAF gray and put tip tanks on it just to be different - actually it is pitch-hitting for a Lockheed F-90 until I can find one.

Bottom shelf the Viggie is a Monogram A-5A (1/76 scale) with old F-100 decals.  I have since re-furbished this Viggie; now it is in NMF with 84 FIS decals from an F-106 sheet.

I'll post a few more if I can cut up and chop the photos I have on the hard drive.

I really enjoy the What-ifs, since you can really be creative and still be somewhat within reason.  

Wes W.

tigercat2

Here is a rather poor quality photo of my "Century Series" row, with F-100 through F-111, and a grey '117 as well.

Top shelf has an interceptor version of the B-58, in ADC grey.

This is the best I can do while on the road, will post photos with better qualities this weekend.

I was amazed when building Anigrand's F-108; that is the same size as a B-58!!  Very impressive looking aircraft, it is really a shame that it was never built.

Wes W.